One paragraph from President Trump's speech

D

Dim Bulb

At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America, and through our loyalty to our country, we will rediscover our loyalty to each other.
When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice. The Bible tells us, "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity."

Can anyone explain to me who decides what "total allegiance" looks like? Does it look like agreeing totally with every policy proposed by the administration? If I question, for example, whether President Trump was telling the truth at the CIA, or whether his advisors are telling untruths, am I guilty of a lack of "total allegiance?" Does "total allegiance" look like badgering the press in the exercise of their First Amendment rights? Does it look like belittling women marching as lesbians and ugly?

Sometimes patriotism is speaking truth to power, instead of meekly submitting to it. Sometimes the bravest patriots are the ones who disagree with the powers that be.

Because if it's only through "total allegiance" that we can achieve unity, then whoever decides what "total allegiance" is kind of controls who stays and who goes.

Forum List

Back