Bill would replace Columbus Day with day honoring Chief Standing Bear, other Native American leaders

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
LINCOLN — A line spanning nearly 400 years connects Italian explorer Christopher Columbus to Chief Standing Bear of the Ponca Tribe.

When Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, he touched off European colonization that resulted in centuries of displacement of indigenous peoples. In 1879, Standing Bear fought his own removal in an Omaha courtroom, resulting in a landmark decision that recognized Native Americans as people under the law.

Now a state senator from Lincoln wants to replace Columbus Day with an official state holiday honoring Standing Bear and other leaders from Nebraska’s four American Indian tribes. The bill also could bring a national conflict over Columbus — a hero to some, a villain to others — to the floor of the Nebraska Legislature.

“We don’t have a day honoring our first people,” said State Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks. “Truly, Standing Bear is our Martin Luther King.”

Bill would replace Columbus Day with day honoring Chief Standing Bear, other Native American leaders

Excellent idea.

LINCOLN — A line spanning nearly 400 years connects Italian explorer Christopher Columbus to Chief Standing Bear of the Ponca Tribe.

When Columbus discovered the New World in 1492, he touched off European colonization that resulted in centuries of displacement of indigenous peoples. In 1879, Standing Bear fought his own removal in an Omaha courtroom, resulting in a landmark decision that recognized Native Americans as people under the law.

Now a state senator from Lincoln wants to replace Columbus Day with an official state holiday honoring Standing Bear and other leaders from Nebraska’s four American Indian tribes. The bill also could bring a national conflict over Columbus — a hero to some, a villain to others — to the floor of the Nebraska Legislature.

“We don’t have a day honoring our first people,” said State Sen. Patty Pansing Brooks. “Truly, Standing Bear is our Martin Luther King.”

Excellent idea.

I don't know about knocking Columbus off the holiday, but I would be open to expanding it. That wouldn't be a bad idea since it's related

Excellent idea.

Give them their own day...I can always use another federal holiday....but Columbus stays....

Excellent idea.

Okey dokey. Christopher Columbus never ever touched the shores of America.

Why is everyone freaking out about the dude?

Actually, if you research and read his actual writings it does sound as though he came on shore the east coast. Those trying to claim he didn't throws me for a loop.

I am a full blooded American native...and I couldn't care less if you give us another federal holiday....

But Columbus never touched the shores of America. What madness is this?

Word .

Guys not an American, he landed in the Caribbean. What's with the holiday ?

Hells bells you ask me. I never got it. I'll never get it and I have Italians big time in my very strange family. Really cool story. My great uncle Felix (Italian) fell in love with my great aunt (Ukrainian) and married as they got off the boat in Canada. Part of the faimly that went north. The other half of the family went south to be Boones in what you know as Tennessee and Kentucky.

I am down with adding another federal holiday to the calendar.

Christopher discovered a place where humans already lived, there is no reason to celebrate what he didn't do that some other humans had already done..

Excellent idea.
Nobody cares about the stupid digger Indians.

They lost their land to germs and guns.

Christopher discovered a place where humans already lived, there is no reason to celebrate what he didn't do that some other humans had already done..
Christoforo Colombo was a genius.

He changed the world and history.

I am down with adding another federal holiday to the calendar.
We need a holiday for a Jew.

I would like to see Moses' Day on Yom Kippur.

And we should make Good Friday also Federal.

We have a holiday for a Negro.

We don't need a holiday for a digger Indian.

Excellent idea.

I don't know about knocking Columbus off the holiday, but I would be open to expanding it. That wouldn't be a bad idea since it's related

Why do we celebrate a man that to the day he died swore he went to Asia? Even after it was proved he was wrong he denied it. He was responsible for bringing back syphilis (according to one hypothesis). He never reached what we is now called the United States. It's like celebrating mediocrity.

But I guess in this day and age everyone gets a trophy for trying. :laugh2:

If sharing space is as close as it can get then it might be doable.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back