On Legal Pot, Goats & The Theory Of Corralling Dangers In Youth

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
A friend of mine and I were discussing the progression of legalizing pot in our culture.

She came up with a very excellent analogy. She said that upon removal of pot as a "taboo", kids will turn away from it and to harder drugs in order to manifest their natural condition of rebellion in that age group.

She has a point.

As some of you may know, I own and keep livestock and have for decades now. My particular favorites are goats because they remind me most of rebellious teens. And I like a challenge! Anyway, as any goatherder will tell you, if goats see you making something forbidden to them, like fencing off a pasture or a flower bed or a clean laundry line etc., they will make it the focus of their every waking intent to undo that barrier, to invade what is forbidden and indulge in that forbidden thing until complete destruction is at hand. They can even be on a completely flush and rich pasture with all the best shelter and fresh water they can get to, and this forbidden thing, like an overgrazed paddock or garden bed may contain forage that is worse or even unpalatble to what they like; to no avail. They still WANT that thing they cannot have.

Pot was the thing adolescents cannot have: so they craved it. Cocaine, molly, heroin and meth are now currently the things in Colorado they cannot have. Even sugar is a drug if abused and kills more people each year than pot ever did or ever would.

So, do the math on the problems Colorado will be facing next. You see few murders committed by potheads. You see many of them by meth heads especially. And as statistics bear out, in areas where pot is legalized, meth use skyrockets. It's the new "fenced paddock" you see..

I say, make carrots, kale, lean meats, whole grains and fresh water illegal, or restricted. Then you'll see society's goats having "health food parties" to spite the adults..lol.. It may seem like an outlandish example. But when corralling a particular animal, it's good to fully understand its nature. It feels like I've spent half my life building and reparing fencing. As I grow wiser I use reverse-psychology on my goats and now have a fraction of the problems keeping them penned where I want them. Kids will always experiment with and use excessively drugs and forbidden things. But the pot thing has an added twist in that once you make it OK to use, meth etc. will be the new haggard pasture they'll want to get into just to make their stand of defiance.

Make and keep pot illegal and tantalizingly just out of reach of adolescents. Then in the lesser of two evils style, you can feel at least somewhat relieved that as each numbskull teen passes through this phase of life, it'll just be Bob Marley and some hot boxing sessions instead of a midnight stabbing while they were out of their minds on meth...

Forum List

Back