On Human Combat, the cost of being a sheepdog

Pete7469

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2013
The Real World
Book Excerpt: On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs

“Then there are sheepdogs,” he went on, “and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.” Or, as a sign in one California law enforcement agency put it, “We intimidate those who intimidate others.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

For some of us, it's not even "walking a hero's path", it's just wanting to be left alone. We live on a Shepard's land whether you like it or not. You pay taxes on "your land", so it's not "yours". You aren't a sheep because you're aware of what's around you, you defend the sheep from the wolves if you have to but otherwise try and find a meal on your own and prefer not to take the free tasteless meal from the Shepard. The sheep hate you because they're just as afraid of you as they are of the wolves, and they will always vote for the Shepard who shears them, feeds them and sometimes fucks them before he kills them and sells them for meat.

I've been a well fed Shepard's dog, but now I'm a mutt in the pasture. I enjoy the freedom. The sheep have no clue what sort of shit the Shepard's dogs have to deal with to keep their dish full, but I prefer the fresh meat of wild rabbits and squirrels at this point, because some of the sheep are too stupid to defend. It's too much work, and the wolves have been emboldened.

“Then there are sheepdogs,” he went on, “and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.” Or, as a sign in one California law enforcement agency put it, “We intimidate those who intimidate others.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

For some of us, it's not even "walking a hero's path", it's just wanting to be left alone. We live on a Shepard's land whether you like it or not. You pay taxes on "your land", so it's not "yours". You aren't a sheep because you're aware of what's around you, you defend the sheep from the wolves if you have to but otherwise try and find a meal on your own and prefer not to take the free tasteless meal from the Shepard. The sheep hate you because they're just as afraid of you as they are of the wolves, and they will always vote for the Shepard who shears them, feeds them and sometimes fucks them before he kills them and sells them for meat.

I've been a well fed Shepard's dog, but now I'm a mutt in the pasture. I enjoy the freedom. The sheep have no clue what sort of shit the Shepard's dogs have to deal with to keep their dish full, but I prefer the fresh meat of wild rabbits and squirrels at this point, because some of the sheep are too stupid to defend. It's too much work, and the wolves have been emboldened.

An interesting analogy, indeed. I have been a sheepdog most of my life. First, as the oldest of a slew of children. Later, as an Army NCO and a 1SG. Now, I'm like you, I'm not a wolf, but not a sheep. I just want to live and let live. I guess I'm more like a momma bear, living my life but you'd better not mess with my family!

• Banned
An interesting analogy, indeed. I have been a sheepdog most of my life. First, as the oldest of a slew of children. Later, as an Army NCO and a 1SG. Now, I'm like you, I'm not a wolf, but not a sheep. I just want to live and let live. I guess I'm more like a momma bear, living my life but you'd better not mess with my family!

I made E5, I'm a volunteer Fire Fighter.

We're kindred sorts.

I made E5, I'm a volunteer Fire Fighter.

We're kindred sorts.
I think so, too. I'm too old to be a volunteer anything, but I take refreshments to those fire fighters when they have to be here. I like my off-grid lifestyle. Oh, yeah, with 200 acres and a backhoe, I just double-dog-dare the wolves to get busy here!

• Banned
I didn't even read this thread. Pete bored me.

No one expected you to.

Parrots like you can only repeat a few phrases for some "crackers" ( Get it?... No, you don't)

hitler-bird.gif

Thanks for your "contribution"

Last edited:

What a fucking hardo...

tenor.gif

url

I'm a lawyer who sometimes does criminal defense, so I don't consider cops to be knights in shiny armor who always do what's right in all situations. I saw a cop lie on the stand to get a conviction of two innocent men. When we played a video to prove he was lying, he did not get into any trouble.

Forum List

Back