Okay, first amendment defenders, tell me this...

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Just how do you figure that free speech in the U.S. is effectively dead?
  • We have the blogosphere wherein one can find any and everything imaginable that one might want to say or read about.
  • There's no topic that one cannot find covered on television or discussed on the radio.
  • There's no topic that hasn't at one point or another been addressed in song.
  • We have forums like this one all over the Internet where nobody gets arrested (or worse) for speaking against the government, big corporations, and whatever else one cares to discuss.
  • Is there any political idea that one cannot find expressed on the Internet?
  • There's literally nothing one cannot protest.

In light of all that and more that I've not listed, just how does one come to arrive at the notion that there is any sort of movement to squelch Americans' speech?

Of course one cannot say or do anything, anywhere, anytime. Yes, there's a time and place for certain forms of expression. That's not new. Lucy and Ricky couldn't sleep in the same bed on I Love Lucy due to network censorship. Well, we're well past that these days.

I think a lot of folks confuse free speech with having an audience. Plenty of folks who say things I have no will to hear because they are so damned incoherent in expressing themselves that I won't waste my time trying to make sense and figure out what they may be saying. Be that as it may, I'm not telling them to stop talking. I'm telling them (if I must) I'm no longer listening to or hearing (not the same things) them, but they can talk all they want. That's not about free speech.

New Topics

Forum List

Back