Ok I need help....Lisa Fischer or Merry Clayton?

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
Arguably, one of the most important pieces of counter culture music in the last century was the work by The rolling Stones GIMME SHELTER. It's fair to say that it has reached iconic levels as a part of look back history in the turmoil ridden 60s 70s and 80s. There are several versions of the song that I really like based on the female vocalist part which is really the heart of the entire work. There's this one by Lisa Fischer:

There's the original done with Merry Clayton:

The comparison might be a little unfair because one is a video and the other one isn't a live video so I don't know what Mary Clayton looked like performing live on the stage. I'm sure if somebody could dig that up for me I would gladly watch it. I'd like you to concentrate on the vocal quality and tell me what you think.... Which version really gives you the chills?

For me it's both of them and I have a hard time trying to decide which one I like the most although recently I've been favoring the original for pure vocal quality. That's not to say lisa Fischer is not fantastic because she is.

Jo

Last edited:
Nice..... So you think the vocal is better? I tend to agree ...still Lisa Fischer does one hell of a job.
The first time I heard Merry, it gave me goosebumps. The day after the session she had a miscarriage. She said it was due to the strain from singing the song.

The first time I heard Merry, it gave me goosebumps. The day after the session she had a miscarriage. She said it was due to the strain from singing the song.
Wow....yeah you can hear the "All in" in the high notes. Also I thought the guitars were a bit sharper in the original. You?

Arguably, one of the most important pieces of counter culture music in the last century was the work by The rolling Stones GIMME SHELTER. It's fair to say that it has reached iconic levels as a part of look back history in the turmoil ridden 60s 70s and 80s. There are several versions of the song that I really like based on the female vocalist part which is really the heart of the entire work. There's this one by Lisa Fischer:

There's the original done with Merry Clayton:

The comparison might be a little unfair because one is a video and the other one isn't a live video so I don't know what Mary Clayton looked like performing live on the stage. I'm sure if somebody could dig that up for me I would gladly watch it. I'd like you to concentrate on the vocal quality and tell me what you think.... Which version really gives you the chills?

For me it's both of them and I have a hard time trying to decide which one I like the most although recently I've been favoring the original for pure vocal quality. That's not to say lisa Fischer is not fantastic because she is.

Jo

The Fisher sounds like she’s in pain

And its painful for me to listen to her

Btw: how old is mick jagger?

Like the man said, I want what he’s having

But on second thought knowing his reputation maybe not

Yeah we settled on Merry Clayton as the better performance on that particular piece. Take a listen she's just enchanting.

Mick has to be kicking at 80 y/o I think

Forum List

Back