Dan Rather , there's something I need to get off my chest.

Read. Learn.

Again, this is written by someone who knows very little about the National Guard.

There is no AWOL in the National Guard. You cannot be charged under the UCMJ for AWOL for not attending drills. The fact the people who wrote this don't understand this VERY BASIC element of how the Reserve Components work makes anything else they write suspect.

The first problem here is that these records are incomplete, because most records are destroyed after a certain period.

Let's look at this fucking ignorant statement.

What is now the Air Force started out as a branch of the US Army, and the Army National Guard included an “air forces” component. When the Air Force became a separate component of the US Armed Forces, National Guard organizations insisted that the Air Force include an “Air National Guard” component. Initially, ANG was considered little more than a publicly funded” flying club for ex-WWII pilots”, and regarded as “flying storage” by the active duty military establishment.[4]. Unlike the Army National Guard, ANG made little sense insofar as fighter and bomber pilots (and the infrastructure that supported them) were not terribly useful if a governor had to declare a state of emergency. ANG was (and is), in practical terms, a redundant organization which duplicates the function of the Air Force Reserves.

Wow, this is fucking ignorant. For instance, during the Gulf War, most IL Air Guard units were activated and deployed to support the effort. Meanwhile, only five Army guard units were activated. (Transportation and MP companies). More on point, four Air Guard units WERE deployed to Vietnam.

Let's address this little nugget of shit.

To address malingering by the privileged draft dodgers in places like Bush’s TXANG, in 1969 the Department of Defense instituted a new policy, inducting those who failed to “fulfill their duty” for involuntary active duty for up to 24 months. The DoD, and the Air Force, were going to be taking a tougher line with those who failed to “satisfactorily participate” as members of the US Armed Forces.

Um, yeah, about that. This was a shitty deal if you were an enlisted man. but if you had ever served, you'd know there's a whole different set of rules for officers. God, the shit I saw officers get away with.

Here was the reality of the Guard in the mid-Seventies. Once the draft ended, most of the guys who joined the guard (and yes, getting into the Guard was a desired alternative to Active Duty) left in droves, and the Pentagon started to rethink the structure of the Guard as a supplement.

So let's talk about what this bullshit with fake documents and people misreading spotty records was ACTUALLY about.

John Fucking Kerry, a guy the Democrats never should have nominated, was passing himself off as a war hero. He was running away from his days as an anti-war protestor like it was his ex-wife who didn't have any money. Then a lot of Vietnam Vets, including guys he served with, started raising a stink about being called baby killers.

Well, what do you do if you are the liberal media? You rehash old stories about Bush and the National Guard that already had been largely debunked in 2000. And when a crazy Lt. Colonel in the Texas guard handed Mary Mapes fake documents, she and Danny-boi at it up.

Again, this is written by someone who knows very little about the National Guard.

There is no AWOL in the National Guard. You cannot be charged under the UCMJ for AWOL for not attending drills. The fact the people who wrote this don't understand this VERY BASIC element of how the Reserve Components work makes anything else they write suspect.

The first problem here is that these records are incomplete, because most records are destroyed after a certain period.

Let's look at this fucking ignorant statement.

What is now the Air Force started out as a branch of the US Army, and the Army National Guard included an “air forces” component. When the Air Force became a separate component of the US Armed Forces, National Guard organizations insisted that the Air Force include an “Air National Guard” component. Initially, ANG was considered little more than a publicly funded” flying club for ex-WWII pilots”, and regarded as “flying storage” by the active duty military establishment.[4]. Unlike the Army National Guard, ANG made little sense insofar as fighter and bomber pilots (and the infrastructure that supported them) were not terribly useful if a governor had to declare a state of emergency. ANG was (and is), in practical terms, a redundant organization which duplicates the function of the Air Force Reserves.

Wow, this is fucking ignorant. For instance, during the Gulf War, most IL Air Guard units were activated and deployed to support the effort. Meanwhile, only five Army guard units were activated. (Transportation and MP companies). More on point, four Air Guard units WERE deployed to Vietnam.

Let's address this little nugget of shit.

To address malingering by the privileged draft dodgers in places like Bush’s TXANG, in 1969 the Department of Defense instituted a new policy, inducting those who failed to “fulfill their duty” for involuntary active duty for up to 24 months. The DoD, and the Air Force, were going to be taking a tougher line with those who failed to “satisfactorily participate” as members of the US Armed Forces.

Um, yeah, about that. This was a shitty deal if you were an enlisted man. but if you had ever served, you'd know there's a whole different set of rules for officers. God, the shit I saw officers get away with.

Here was the reality of the Guard in the mid-Seventies. Once the draft ended, most of the guys who joined the guard (and yes, getting into the Guard was a desired alternative to Active Duty) left in droves, and the Pentagon started to rethink the structure of the Guard as a supplement.

So let's talk about what this bullshit with fake documents and people misreading spotty records was ACTUALLY about.

John Fucking Kerry, a guy the Democrats never should have nominated, was passing himself off as a war hero. He was running away from his days as an anti-war protestor like it was his ex-wife who didn't have any money. Then a lot of Vietnam Vets, including guys he served with, started raising a stink about being called baby killers.

Well, what do you do if you are the liberal media? You rehash old stories about Bush and the National Guard that already had been largely debunked in 2000. And when a crazy Lt. Colonel in the Texas guard handed Mary Mapes fake documents, she and Danny-boi at it up.
I was regular Army in Vietnam so I don't know very much about the National Guard and what they considered AWOL. I will take your word for it but is it possible you are confusing the National Guard with ROTC? Never mind. By the way, the American Air Force was initially called the "Army Air Corps". My grandfather was a pilot who flew biplanes in the Army Air Corps during WW I. I agree with you completely about John Fucking Kerry. Jane Fonda did more for us than Kerry ever did. She helped to bring us home. He did jack shit.

I was regular Army in Vietnam so I don't know very much about the National Guard and what they considered AWOL. I will take your word for it but is it possible you are confusing the National Guard with ROTC? Never mind. By the way, the American Air Force was initially called the "Army Air Corps". My grandfather was a pilot who flew biplanes in the Army Air Corps during WW I. I agree with you completely about John Fucking Kerry. Jane Fonda did more for us than Kerry ever did. She helped to bring us home. He did jack shit.
The Guard is not subject to the UCMJ except for the two weeks every summer that they are on active duty.

My guess, it's pretty much what Bush described. His last year of service, he trained with the Alabama Guard because he was working in Alabama, and probably no one kept records or was terribly concerned because the kind of fighter he flew was being phased out.

WW II? I am a Vietnam War Veteran so blow your bull shit vapour downwind. I gave you the truth and I supplied you with the proof. So ....

« Chain your tongue with whisky, Stuff your nose with garlic, Coat your eyes with butter, Fill your ears with silver, Stick your legs in plaster »
Adrian Mitchell

Oh yeah, you're the one who admitted to being AWOL.

WW II? I am a Vietnam War Veteran so blow your bull shit vapour downwind. I gave you the truth and I supplied you with the proof. So ....

« Chain your tongue with whisky, Stuff your nose with garlic, Coat your eyes with butter, Fill your ears with silver, Stick your legs in plaster »
Adrian Mitchell

Oh yeah, you're the one who admitted to being AWOL.
You've had several days to figure out what "AWOL" means but you must be lazy or illiterate because you still don't know what it means.

I'mma post the whole tweet, 'cause I know less tha half of you guys will click the link to read it and this is important.

"If I may, there’s something I need to get off my chest.
As democracy remains under siege, it has been frustrating to watch how the press covers politics these days.
I am reminded by lessons that came to me during the Nixon years as a CBS News correspondent, which I’ll add here:

1. Enough with Both-sides-ism

When one side lies intentionally and repeatedly, they are no longer entitled to the benefit of the doubt. They should be held to account, right away. Do not simply repeat the narratives they spew.

2. Prioritize Live Fact-Checking

Rigorous and robust fact-checking is the best defense against misinformation, intentional lies, and deflection.
If Trump says the sky is green, the story isn’t that the sky is now green; the story is that the sky is still blue and Trump got it wrong.

3. Ask Lawmakers Hard Questions

Ask about the fundamental principles of democracy. Push them to go on the record that Biden won the 2020 election.
Ask if they support the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

This writing is not to offer any claim of knowing it all. Your correspondent has made his share of mistakes, but after more than seven decades I believe I have picked up a few useful guideposts.

Good journalism is always worth it. Our democracy depends on it.
"

Words of wisdom from someone who's been there before.

Umm... you do realize that he was fired for reading an unvetted report that his network bosses told him not to read because it was not only NOT fact checked properly, but the fact checking they did had major issues.

So - why would you think Dan Rather's opinion on reporting is something to pay attention to??

You've had several days to figure out what "AWOL" means but you must be lazy or illiterate because you still don't know what it means.
Ah, so you don't know what it means.

Now I'm having some serious thoughts as to your truthfulness.

You are aware that stolen valor is a crime, right?

Denying the US is a Democracy is fascism. That makes you a fascist.
You are a moron. Both of my Grandfathers fought actual fascist and if alive today it would be a toss up between laughing their asses off or slapping the shit out of ignorant people like yourself.

No worries I blame the shitty state of the education system in this country for your ignorance and parroting what your told. Look at the Constitution and find the part that mentions the US is a Democracy, I know I can show you the part that names this country a Republic.

Stop asking Democrats to find common ground with tRump supporters.

We're Americans.
We don't negotiate with terrorists.
Curious signature. You claim you don't negotiate with terrorists, but...

Berghdahl%20and%20trade.jpg

Surrender of Afghanistan to Taliban...13 killed in terrorist bombing.
Weapons%20left%20behind-X2.jpg

This poster makes no sense to me. Can you please explain what it means? How did you "lose" six soldiers? Were they AWOL or in the latrine when you conducted a base camp relocation and they got left behind? Or is the poster a misprint and there were actually 7 deserters? Also, what proof is there that those five were really terrorists and not just a few of the thousands of innocent men held captive, tortured, and even murdered at Guantanamo?

This poster makes no sense to me. Can you please explain what it means? How did you "lose" six soldiers? Were they AWOL or in the latrine when you conducted a base camp relocation and they got left behind? Or is the poster a misprint and there were actually 7 deserters? Also, what proof is there that those five were really terrorists and not just a few of the thousands of innocent men held captive, tortured, and even murdered at Guantanamo?
You childishly claimed that you (Democrats) don't negotiate with terrorists. Yet you do it with the worst possible people. Why? How has Democrats rewarding terrorists made anything better?

Curious signature. You claim you don't negotiate with terrorists, but...

Berghdahl%20and%20trade.jpg

Surrender of Afghanistan to Taliban...13 killed in terrorist bombing.
Why do you keep lying?

No soldiers were lost looking for Bergdahl.

Meanwhile, the Army itself has never declared whether these deaths were in fact connected to the search for Bergdahl. The closest they got to a public statement was in 2014, when then-Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a congressional hearing, “I have seen no evidence that directly links any American combat death to the rescue or finding or search of Sergeant Bergdahl.”

The AFGHAN Government requested the release of these five Taliban leaders. Republicans ALSO insisted on their release.

Oh, and Bergdahl was listed as a POW by the Army, not as a deserter. Not only did they not list him as a deserted, they continued to promote him while he was in captivity, which is why he held the rank of Sergeant (E-5) when he was released even though he was only a PFC (E-3) when he was captured.

You childishly claimed that you (Democrats) don't negotiate with terrorists.
When you start a post like this how am I supposed to take the rest of your post seriously?
Yet you do it with the worst possible people.
Again ....... you've got a screw loose.
That's my question to you.
How has Democrats rewarding terrorists made anything better?
I can take a few guesses that would probably work and definitely run circles around any thoughts you have on the subject but maybe you should ask them. BTW is there any reason why you haven't answered any of my questions (above)? You're bonkers. :cuckoo:

You claim you don't negotiate with terrorists, but...

Why do you keep lying?
There are many of us who'd like to know the answer to that question.
No soldiers were lost looking for Bergdahl.
That's what I was thinking but Marky refused to support her statement.
Thank you.
Meanwhile, the Army itself has never declared whether these deaths were in fact connected to the search for Bergdahl.
So, why does Marky keep lying? Oh! Sorry! You already asked that question. :bow2:
The closest they got to a public statement was in 2014, when then-Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a congressional hearing, “I have seen no evidence that directly links any American combat death to the rescue or finding or search of Sergeant Bergdahl.”
It looks like Marky was wrong.
The AFGHAN Government requested the release of these five Taliban leaders. Republicans ALSO insisted on their release.

That answers Markey's main question.
Oh, and Bergdahl was listed as a POW by the Army, not as a deserter. Not only did they not list him as a deserted, they continued to promote him while he was in captivity, which is why he held the rank of Sergeant (E-5) when he was released even though he was only a PFC (E-3) when he was captured.
He went from PFC to Sergeant? That's no deserter for sure! :drillsergeant: The best I did after 3 years was Sp4.

He went from PFC to Sergeant? That's no deserter for sure! :drillsergeant: The best I did after 3 years was Sp4.

The problem here was the army knew the circumstances of him leaving his post, but didn't inform the higher-ups that they had men deserting their posts. So they passed along some cock and bull story about how he was captured during a patrol, which simply wasn't true. And they kept calling him a POW and giving him promotions in absentia.

When he got back, they tried to make it go away as quickly as possible.

The real problem was that the Army was so desperate for warm bodies that it enlisted him. The man got a psych discharge from the Coast Guard during basic training. That should have been a big red flag right there.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back