October 8, 1979: Carter's Lowest Approval

Because polling is a reflection of the political climate at the time it was taken, nothing more. There are too many variables. The stock market, the weather, whatever - everything has an impact on polling. It's a moment in time, a singular snapshot.

There could be an event tomorrow that sends Obama's rating into the 90s - or something could happen that could send his approval ratings into the teens.

So you're saying a trend is a "singular snapshot?"

Is English your primary language?

Seriously.

I said that "trends" in polling don't actually exist, because polling is a snapshot.

Is English your primary language? Because I certainly didn't say anything like what you claimed.

:eusa_eh:

Um...you realise that all trends are a collection of single data points, right?

Jaysus.

Seriously.

I said that "trends" in polling don't actually exist, because polling is a snapshot.

Is English your primary language? Because I certainly didn't say anything like what you claimed.

Jaysus.

Perhaps he needs some graph paper to illustrate.

Jaysus.

Perhaps he needs some graph paper to illustrate.

graph_42.gif

Because polling is a reflection of the political climate at the time it was taken, nothing more. There are too many variables. The stock market, the weather, whatever - everything has an impact on polling. It's a moment in time, a singular snapshot.

There could be an event tomorrow that sends Obama's rating into the 90s - or something could happen that could send his approval ratings into the teens.

Seriously.

I am old enough to remember Jimmy Carter--in fact--my husband and I just started our electrical contracting business. This country made a huge mistake back then in my generation--and now we see that this generation has made the same mistake.

But once they learn--that perfectly pronounced speeches and promises from here to the moon--don't relate to anything but TALK--and that liberals/progressives are all for wealth redistribution--then the youth of this country wake up and it will be another 50 years--& another generation that will make the same MISTAKE again. They will be swayed with sweet appealing speeches of coming together--of getting along--of a greener planet--of no war--of a heaven on earth--and they will again mistakenly vote with their hearts and not their minds.

$carter_worst.jpg
One Mistake

$APOLLOBAMA.jpg
One Big Ass Mistake America

Last edited:

Seriously.

Jaysus.

Either I'm doing a bad job converting my thoughts into words, or you're being intentionally obtuse. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

Attempting to analyze "trends" from Presidential polling data from 30 years ago, and comparing it today is entirely irrelevant, because we don't live in the same world we did 30 years ago.

The amount of variables that go into approval ratings are unbelievably big - and "What the approval rating was yesterday" is only a small part of that. "Trends" that happened 30 years ago have no relevancy today because different events are happening today than did 30 years ago.

You should probably mark x & y for him too.

:lol:

X= number of posts from the Doctorisin

Y= Fail Index

plotting_point_slope.gif

What are you, 10 years old?

I expected better from you.

Well, its a little difficult to seriously take anyone who doesn't know that a trend is a collection of individual data points.

And the point that you cannot compare trends from 30 years ago with current trends means that you are a minority subscriber to the "History Does NOT Repeat Itself Club."

I'll attempt to educate you regarding Math, and why those of us that understand bother to take "snap-shots," find trends, and compare them with historical data. Perhaps an analogy will be helpful?

You might have seen Hurricane's being charted on a map?

Every day, the location of the eye of the storm is charted.

This data is used to compare the possible FUTURE PATH of the hurricane, with PREVIOUS KNOWN Paths of Hurricanes

Still with me? Wake the fuck up!

Then several MODELS predicting the landfall of the hurricane can be made.

For the past two months, Hurricane Barak is more closely following the same path as Hurricane Carter than any other hurricane since 1945: More importantly, it will hit land in only 12 months, a short period of time to change direction for presidential disasters.

I really hope you get it, because I don't have more time to review 8th grade math concepts.

X= number of posts from the Doctorisin

Y= Fail Index

plotting_point_slope.gif

Well, its a little difficult to seriously take anyone who doesn't know that a trend is a collection of individual data points.

And the point that you cannot compare trends from 30 years ago with current trends means that you are a minority subscriber to the "History Does NOT Repeat Itself Club."

I'll attempt to educate you regarding Math, and why those of us that understand bother to take "snap-shots," find trends, and compare them with historical data. Perhaps an analogy will be helpful?

This data is used to compare the possible FUTURE PATH of the hurricane, with PREVIOUS KNOWN Paths of Hurricanes

For the past two months, Hurricane Barak is more closely following the same path as Hurricane Carter than any other hurricane since 1945: More importantly, it will hit land in only 12 months, a short period of time to change direction for presidential disasters.

I really hope you get it, because I don't have more time to review 8th grade math concepts.

I thinnk his noggin may have just exploded.

Along with 95% of USMB members.

Most don't understand that math is the study of the future.

Along with 95% of USMB members.

Most don't understand that math is the study of the future.

please use mathmatics to tell us when the world will end

At this time in his first term, Reagan's approval rating was 45. Obama is at 43.

With a margin of error +/-3, that's a statistical dead heat.

uhm at this date and time in equivalent time space continuum, ala their 3rd sept. in Office, in Sept. `1983, 1.1 million jobs....thats ONE million ONE hundred thousand, in a smaller pop. too, by about 70 million...morning in America.....

in 1997 sept.Clinton created 500k. jobs , in a good economy......

First of all, the President doesn't "create" any jobs. Second, it's not the point that the OP was making, nor the point that I was referring to. Misreading and fabricating polling data is a big pet peeve of mine, and the only reason I posted in this thread.

I have no intention of, nor desire to, defend Obama.

I KNOW he doesn't, :rolleyes: BUT he and his future is tied to it, inextricably......

and I have read the thread up to here, my take is yes I understand your point as the numbers 43 then 45 now are not really comparable, ala the data that sppts each, the soviet union was around, Vietnam was still a strong memory the mid east had just erupted....

BUT the NUMBER itself does tell a tale.

I had an argument with someone over polling etc. data LV vs RV's and A's...and I have read more than a fair amount on this....;)

Hes trending to oblivion. I don't care what reagan was or was not. Here now, we were when I had that argument 6 months ago speaking of him still trending in the high 40's.

now? Gallup has not had him above 45 since June. Hes been tailing into 42, 40, 39, 41 40 etc etc... since....*shrugs*

Forum List

Back