Obama Says He Wouldn't Accept Geithner's Resignation

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
President Obama told CBS in an interview for "60 Minutes" that he wouldn't accept embattled Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner's resignation if Geithner were to offer it.

Obama joked that if Geithner tried to give up the position, the president would say, "Sorry buddy, you've still got the job."

Geithner has been criticized over his handling of AIG after news broke this month that bailed-out company had doled out millions of dollars in bonuses. That controversy and criticism of Geithner's efforts to revive the economy have prompted some Republicans to call for his resignation.

Obama Says He Wouldn't Accept Geithner's Resignation - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

See? How smart he is not? :lol:

Well can you blame Obama after all he has proven just how ignorant he is. I don't think for a second Obama actually gives a rats ass about our Country. The more chaos the better for him. No wonder he laughed, and was stoned out of his mind on Leno's show. MO of course.

Wont accept it or cant admit another mistake?

Can't get anyone that would take the job, Geithner is really all alone. Who in banking/finance wants to go through Congress? Look what they are doing to Liddy (?) from AIG? He's working for zip, came out of retirement to try and help. They have annihilated both of their reputations, though for being a tax cheat, I can't feel too sorry for Geithner.

AIG chief: I need all the help I can get | Reuters
...Liddy -- being paid $1 a year to rescue the once mighty AIG -- took pains to appear neither arrogant, incompetent nor greedy, politely shaking hands with protesters before taking his seat and calmly answering lawmakers' questions.

"Six months ago, I came out of retirement to help my country," said the 63-year-old Liddy.

"At the federal government's request, I have had the duty, honor and extraordinary challenge of serving as chairman and chief executive officer," Liddy said....

Timothy Geithner, alone and working night and day

Timothy Geithner, alone and working night and day

Mar 8 03:45 AM US/Eastern

US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is practically alone on the job, working night and day to cope with the worst economic downturn in decades.
Of the 15 key Treasury Department positions that require Senate confirmation, only one has been filled. Stuart Levey, a leftover from the previous administration, who as under secretary of the treasury for terrorism and financial intelligence, is not central to the crisis management however....

well, as long as he is still on the job, he has executive privileges
meaning he cant be forced to testify

I heard on the TV the other night that 17 of the 18 positions in Treasury are vacant. He (Geithner) really is all alone.. What a C*F*

Obama should fire him , screw waiting for his resignation. he should also have Dodd drawn and quartered, what the hell was America thinking???

I heard on the TV the other night that 17 of the 18 positions in Treasury are vacant. He (Geithner) really is all alone.. What a C*F*
unbelievable
all he has to do is appoint them, this senate will give him who ever he wants

Obama should fire him , screw waiting for his resignation. he should also have Dodd drawn and quartered, what the hell was America thinking???

They were thinking they needed to make history by putting a black man in the Presidency. Never mind that he wasn't qualified.

unbelievable

They keep withdrawing. Many over taxes, more lately just don't want to be in that toxic area.

unbelievable

They keep withdrawing. Many over taxes, more lately just don't want to be in that toxic area.
i dont blame em

from everything I'm reading, Geithner is working 15-18 hours a day, six, sometimes 7 days a week. That's for weeks now. He's 47, 48 years old, he's heading for a hospital.

i dont blame em

from everything I'm reading, Geithner is working 15-18 hours a day, six, sometimes 7 days a week. That's for weeks now. He's 47, 48 years old, he's heading for a hospital.

The Peter Principle. Obama and Geithner both.. they have been set up to fail. I bet the press is hating what they've done? Not.

i dont blame em

The Peter Principle. Obama and Geithner both.. they have been set up to fail. I bet the press is hating what they've done? Not.

As I said originally, I've no doubt Geithner purposefully avoided paying taxes, even though very wealthy. So it's impossible to feel much sympathy. However, from all I've read he really is brilliant in the wonk area he's in. But this is too much for one person, especially one exhausted person, that's being beaten up daily by press, public, and the administration.

Monday should be interesting, if they roll their #2 plan out.

As I said originally, I've no doubt Geithner purposefully avoided paying taxes, even though very wealthy. So it's impossible to feel much sympathy. However, from all I've read he really is brilliant in the wonk area he's in. But this is too much for one person, especially one exhausted person, that's being beaten up daily by press, public, and the administration.

i dont feel sorry for people that get into trouble because they LIED
and clearly a lot of people lied about this bonus thing

i dont feel sorry for people that get into trouble because they LIED
and clearly a lot of people lied about this bonus thing

I try for some 'fair', from what I can see Dodd lied. In all likelihood, Obama knew. Geithner, my guess doesn't know if it's morning or evening. Somehow I don't think his plan is going to get rave reviews. I'd say his career is not so promising anymore. Now remember, this should have been the #1 area of administration focus. Guess where Obama is? Camp David. Was there last weekend. Do they have a bowling alley there?

Forum List

Back