Obama Bows Before the Japanese Emperor

and you have obviously failed in that lackluster endeavor. You have convinced no one other than yourself how smart you think you are.

I'm not out to convince people who were already condemning Obama ignorantly for partaking in a tradition in Japan that is used as a sign of respect. As for the people who knew otherwise, how far he went down with the bow is all subjective. However, you do not give a 15 degree bow to the Emperor of Japan. A informal bow to the Emperor is a sign of disrespect.

And I still find it pathetic that so many of you just want to have a good ol partisan argument instead of actually talking about the issues that really matter. But that's just the way it is.

Sorry...your argument holds no water.....exceptions are made for foreigners.

I wasn't making light of your links, fuckwit. Your English is deplorable. Try reading the bolded sentence above. Get your money back.

My english is deplorable? Who are you to judge my grammar or sentence structure? It's fine as my points get across clearly. If you want to be an asshole, so be it. However, don't expect me to give a damn what you think.

As for that one sentence that I clearly failed to edit, you're going to nitpick? Sorry I'm not perfect like you in grammar or sentence structure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry...your argument holds no water.....exceptions are made for foreigners.

Exceptions are made for foreigners who are ignorant of the custom because the Japanese assume that most westerners are ignorant of the custom in the first place.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd ask for my tuition back. Seems they've taught you nothing.

Consider this coming from the same guy who was just using the same links I used. :eusa_eh:
I wasn't making light of your links, fuckwit. Your English is deplorable. Try reading the bolded sentence above. Get your money back.

Hey now...he paid a lot of money to have the college he attends to NOT teach him basic english skills. :rofl:

How to Bow in Japan - Learn How to Bow Properly in Japan

Let's begin learning how to bow properly in Japan. Bowing seems simple, but there are different ways of bowing. It depends on the social status or age of the person you bow to. If the person is higher status or older than you are, you should bow deeper and longer. It is polite to bow, bending from your waist. Men usually keep their hands in their sides, and women usually put their hands together on their thighs with their fingers touching. If it is a casual situation, you can bow like nodding. The most frequent bow is a bow of about 15 degrees. You might feel strange to do it, but try to bow in Japan. You will be considered very polite.

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic) | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Top of the Ticket
Politics and commentary, coast to coast, from the Los Angeles Times
« Previous Post | Top of the Ticket Home | Next Post »
How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic)
November 14, 2009 | 3:38 am

(UPDATES: 12:22 p.m. A brief news video has been added below, showing the greeting in this photograph. Contrary to some claims, the video shows no reciprocal bow by the emperor, who traditionally bows to no one. And we've added a file photo from 2007 of Vice President Dick Cheney greeting the Japanese Emperor at the same residence in a different fashion.)
How low will the new American president go for the world's royalty?
This photo will get Democrat President Obama a lot of approving nods in Japan this weekend, especially among the older generation of Japanese who still pay attention to the royal family living in i ts downtown castle. Very low bows like this are a sign of great respect and deference to a superior.
To some in the United States, however, an upright handshake might have looked better. (See Cheney-Akihito photo, right).

Japanese Bowing

In Japan, people greet each other by bowing. A bow ranges from a small nod of the head to a long, 90 degree bend at the waist. If the greeting takes place on tatami floor, people get on their knees in order to bow.
When bowing to someone of higher social status, a deeper, longer bow indicates respect. Conversely, a small head nod is casual and informal. However, most Japanese do not expect foreigners to know proper bowing rules and so a nod of the head is usually sufficient.
It is also common to bow to express thanks, to apologize, to make a request or to ask someone a favor.
Shaking hands is uncommon among the Japanese, but again, exceptions are made for foreigners.

Japanese superstition

In Japan there are certain things one does not do because they are thought to cause bad luck. A few examples are:
• The number four:
The number four is considered inauspicious because it is pronounced the same as the word for death (shi). Therefore, one should not make presents that consist of four pieces, etc. In some hotels and hospitals the room number four is skipped.
• Stick chopsticks into the rice:
Do not stick your chopsicks into your food generally, but especially not into rice, because only at funerals, chopsticks are stuck into the rice which is put onto the altar.
• Give food from chopstick to chopstick:
This is only done with the bones of the cremated body at funerals.
• Sleeping towards the North:
Do not sleep towards the North beacause bodies are laid down like that.
• Funeral Car:
If a funeral car passes you should hide your thumb.
• Cut nails at night:
If you cut your nails at night, you will not be with your parents when they die.
• Lie down after eating:
If you lie down immedeately after eating, you will become a cow.
• Whistle in the night:
If you whistle in the night, a snake will come to you.
• Black cat:
There are also some imported superstitions such as the believe that black cats crossing the street in front of you cause bad luck.

Meh ... you expect them to put all that on a teleprompter for him?

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
04-02-2009-obowma-s.jpg

^From April... What was the Excuse back then?...

:)

peace...

President Obama needs to take a lesson from Ronald Reagan on how to behave overseas:

ronald_reaganSS.jpg

Reagan honoring Nazi S.S. soldiers at Bitburg, Germany

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You piece of shit...tell the rest of the story.

Reagan Joins Kohl in Brief Memorial at Bitburg Graves

[SNIP]

''Here they lie,'' Mr. Reagan said in a trembling voice. ''Never to hope. Never to pray. Never to love. Never to heal. Never to laugh. Never to cry.''

Merging Past and Present

Mr. Reagan's visit to Bergen-Belsen, in addition to the Kolmeshohe Cemetery at Bitburg, was designed to merge past and present - to pay homage to the millions of victims of Nazi Germany and to honor West Germany's emergence as a powerful democracy and ally of the United States.

''We who were enemies are now friends,'' Mr. Reagan told about 5,000 American military personnel, their families and local German residents at the Bitburg Air Base, less than one mile from the military cemetery.
''We who were bitter adversaries are now the strongest of allies,'' Mr. Reagan said. ''In the place of fear we have sown trust, and out of the ruins of war has blossomed an enduring peace.''

[/SNIP]

Done. ;)

I wish President Obama had a large funny bone in his body and 'bowed' to the emperor BUT,
Facing the other direction and with his pants down. The All American MOON greeting.

OH!!......he can't, it wouldn't be "Politically Correct". Actually I could think of others that would more deserve that greeting, let's see, who would those people be?

I wish President Obama had a large funny bone in his body and 'bowed' to the emperor BUT,
Facing the other direction and with his pants down. The All American MOON greeting.

OH!!......he can't, it wouldn't be "Politically Correct". Actually I could think of others that would more deserve that greeting, let's see, who would those people be?

No he only does that to us Americans.

Forum List

Back