Obama announces 275 US troops WILL be sent to Iraq to protect American embassy

daveman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2010
On the way to the Dark Tower.
Obama announces 275 US troops WILL be sent to Iraq to protect American embassy in Baghdad days after saying they would not return
President Obama announced on Monday evening that US ground troops 'equipped for combat' are being sent to Iraq – just days after claiming that no American soldiers would be deployed to the war-torn country.

In a letter to Congress, the president said American troops will be returning to Iraq only three years after they left and their deployment began on Sunday.

Obama said that their only purpose will be to protect U.S. personnel and the embassy in Baghdad – and not to join in the fierce fighting raging outside the Iraqi capital.

The president did tell Congress, however, that American military personnel in Baghdad will be 'equipped for combat.'​
Good on him for protecting embassy personnel.

Don't worry America...Obama played 36 holes of golf last weekend so I'm sure everything is just fine.

Let's all hope this does not turn out to be the case...

A White House official also said Monday that the Obama administration is considering the deployment of a small contingent of Special Forces to Iraq, specifically to help Mouri al-Maliki's government slow the advance of the Sunni insurgents.

Obama has explicitly said American ground troops won't surge into the nation once patrolled by more than 148,000 U.S. servicemen and women.

But sending Navy SEALs and Army Rangers into harm's way could help ISIS draw the U.S. into a series of firefights to which Obama would likely have to respond with greater force.

So is this going to be Saigon all over again, or Tehran?

Even if the terrorist groups don't take Baghdad, wouldn't put it past them to be able to get through and do damage to the embassy.

Hope that Baghdad doesn't fall, but trust that 'everything is fine' no longer cuts it.

i saw the headline 275 soldiers. That's not alot. Unless he is sending Gideon over to lead the troops, i am not sure it's a good idea. I think evacuating the embassy would be a much better plan right now.

Dark times are upon us. With the chaos in the middle east and Ukraine and with our borders being overrun, we are about to see a big chance in the world. But don't worry. As the darkness descends upon the earth the light will shine brighter and burst through to the nations.

When ISIS makes it to Baghdad, will 275 troops be enough to hold them off?? If not, then evacuate everyone rather than set up our troops be to slaughtered.

These troops need our prayers. I am concerned we are sending them to their death.

Forum List

Back