Obama announces 275 US troops WILL be sent to Iraq to protect American embassy

Obama announces 275 US troops WILL be sent to Iraq to protect American embassy in Baghdad days after saying they would not return
President Obama announced on Monday evening that US ground troops 'equipped for combat' are being sent to Iraq – just days after claiming that no American soldiers would be deployed to the war-torn country.

In a letter to Congress, the president said American troops will be returning to Iraq only three years after they left and their deployment began on Sunday.

Obama said that their only purpose will be to protect U.S. personnel and the embassy in Baghdad – and not to join in the fierce fighting raging outside the Iraqi capital.

The president did tell Congress, however, that American military personnel in Baghdad will be 'equipped for combat.'​
Good on him for protecting embassy personnel.

Now it appears they are sending 100 actual combat troops and 175 support members, which I'm not sure means what actually. But 275 sounded pretty low to me for an embassy larger than Vatican City but it appears to be about 100 at this point.

I think the best plan is to pull everyone out and drop a couple MOAB's on the site and destroy it down to ground level or less. Position our guys to help the Kurds who are the only people worth a shit over there and from that base help cover Israel. Spec ops locating the weapons we lost and destroy them without remorse for collateral damage and even take back what we can but don't leave them with those weapons. Them just sit back and watch the shiite's and sunni's destroy each other. Once one group gets a hand up jump in with some air strikes and relevel the field until they are all extinct.

These troops need our prayers. I am concerned we are sending them to their death.

There is no earthly reason to send marines to protect the embassy rather than evacuate the embassy. 275 marines will not hold off thousands of ISIS fighters and however many Iraqis as have joined them. Last weekend more than 2000 were executed. I too feel that not only are these men being sent to their deaths but so have the people at the embassy.

Doesn't obama have a rule prohibiting our military from fighting after dark so as not to wake anybody up with American gunfire?

We need to pray for the troops and for President Obama. I know many of us don't like him, but he clerly needs some wisdom that he doesn't have. Let's pray that he has the wisdom he needs to keep our troops from the slaughter.

I don't know what the protocol is...any chance there will be a briefing by a high ranking military official to explain any of this to the American people?? I know they can't do anything to jeopardize lives by revealing strategies, but this is really disconcerting. Obviously Obama doesn't care to even appear focused, so I don't care where he flies off to...at this point, I wouldn't trust anything he said anyway. This is the most important fucking part of his job, but I guess somebody has to go fund raise...politics first. Unbelievable.

He's making the right decision to not hang the embassy personnel out to dry.

You know, like he did in Benghazi.

Yup. The bad press on Benghazi is the catalyst for beefed up security in Iraq. Perhaps his State Department caught a damned clue after their abysmal failure in Libya.

If it were me I'd pull our people out of Iraq. The minute our troops left Iraq was headed toward a takeover. Hell. They are killing Iraq soldiers by the hundreds. Pull our people out and Nuke em from orbit.

Last edited:
Good on him for protecting embassy personnel.

I've got a better idea..... Close the Embassy. Get all US Government personnel out of the country. Inform all American civilians on the ground in Iraq that if they stay they're on their own, GTFO of there and never look back.

I am sure the 275 number was poll tested first.

With aircraft nearby they should be able to hold off an attack. But it is a good question, why not just evacuate the embassy? I guess that looks too much like Saigon and the image didnt poll test well.
This is the most politically motivated president ever. He doesnt take a shit without considering the political implications.

Pull our people out and Nuke em from orbit.

I agree with the first half of that sentence, but why waste our weapons on them? Give them three weeks to complete the takeover and it'll be back to being an 8th century society again, so there's no need to nuke them.

i saw the headline 275 soldiers. That's not alot. Unless he is sending Gideon over to lead the troops, i am not sure it's a good idea. I think evacuating the embassy would be a much better plan right now.

Dark times are upon us. With the chaos in the middle east and Ukraine and with our borders being overrun, we are about to see a big chance in the world. But don't worry. As the darkness descends upon the earth the light will shine brighter and burst through to the nations.

You smokin the good godly shit, aren't you? "the light will shine brighter and burst.......
LMAO. They be prayin' and sprayin over in Iraq. Let the light shine down now......how about now?........no light yet. WTF. Who turned the lights off?

I sure hope Obama hasn't ordered these 275 clay pigeons not to fire at any threats.

Nah. Remember when Bush had American troops riding around testing road side bombs in un armored humvees? That was making American troops targets. Who couldn't fire back after being blown up.

Obama will let them fight back instead of just driving around waiting to be blown up.

That Rummy and Bush, they had a strange way of fighting their war.

i saw the headline 275 soldiers. That's not alot. Unless he is sending Gideon over to lead the troops, i am not sure it's a good idea. I think evacuating the embassy would be a much better plan right now.

Dark times are upon us. With the chaos in the middle east and Ukraine and with our borders being overrun, we are about to see a big chance in the world. But don't worry. As the darkness descends upon the earth the light will shine brighter and burst through to the nations.

You smokin the good godly shit, aren't you? "the light will shine brighter and burst.......
LMAO. They be prayin' and sprayin over in Iraq. Let the light shine down now......how about now?........no light yet. WTF. Who turned the lights off?

Just because the night is particularly dark, doesn't mean the dawn isn't going to be bright. When you get a clearer picture of what's coming, you will understand. But then maybe you don't want light shining.

Yup. The bad press on Benghazi is the catalyst for beefed up security in Iraq. Perhaps his State Department caught a damned clue after their abysmal failure in Libya.

If it were me I'd pull our people out of Iraq. The minute our troops left Iraq was headed toward a takeover. Hell. They are killing Iraq soldiers by the hundreds. Pull our people out and Nuke em from orbit.
I agree we need to leave. I further agree that any violence directed towards Americans needs to be met with overwhelming and remorseless force.

But Obama is too busy playing golf to be Commander-in-Chief.

I agree we need to leave. I further agree that any violence directed towards Americans needs to be met with overwhelming and remorseless force.

Yeah because Iraqis didn't quite get it when they didn't attack Americans yet were met with overwhelming and remorseless force..

And I am sure you were down on Bush about this..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g]George Bush "Now, Watch This Drive" - YouTube[/ame]

Right?

:lol:

Yeah because Iraqis didn't quite get it when they didn't attack Americans yet were met with overwhelming and remorseless force..

And I am sure you were down on Bush about this..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g]George Bush "Now, Watch This Drive" - YouTube[/ame]

Right?

:lol:
Your concern for terrorists is well known.

Forum List

Back