Now Is The Time To Raise The Retirement Age

The Republican tax bill will add to our federal debt. This glaring truth causes the monkeys to slap their hands over their eyes. "We no care bout debt any more!"

Because of PayGo, these deficits caused by the tax bill will have to be paid for by cutting spending on entitlement programs. You know, we have to tear those lazy, shiftless poor people away from their steak and champagne dinners and get them into the fields picking cotton.

But here's a better, saner idea to save our national treasury: Raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70, and index them to 9 percent of the US population.

We are living longer, we should be working longer.

Common sense.

We did this in Canada and it was rolled back. I think it is more than fair. People are living longer, staying in better health etc. The system cannot sustain so many additional years of retirement. Also gives a couple of extra years for investment if you bump it up.

The Republican tax bill will add to our federal debt. This glaring truth causes the monkeys to slap their hands over their eyes. "We no care bout debt any more!"

Because of PayGo, these deficits caused by the tax bill will have to be paid for by cutting spending on entitlement programs. You know, we have to tear those lazy, shiftless poor people away from their steak and champagne dinners and get them into the fields picking cotton.

But here's a better, saner idea to save our national treasury: Raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70, and index them to 9 percent of the US population.

Common sense.

Agreed, but two issues:

1) A white collar worker is going to be physically more able than a school district janitor to work an extra 5 or 6 years, but parity on that gets complicated.
2) Don't fuck with anyone already over the age of 55 (cuz that'd be shitty)

Also, not sure what you mean by "indexing them to 9% of population" Help me out here, I'm not an economist.
The white collar worker of 1935 was also at an advantage over a blue collar worker. Nothing has changed in that respect. If it would be unfair to the blue collar worker to raise the retirement age to 70 today, it was just as unfair to set the retirement age to 65 in 1935. In fact, it was much more unfair back then to blue collar workers.

The blue collar worker of today is in far better condition than even the white collar worker of 1935.

What I mean by "index to 9% of the population" is that we should adjust the SS and Medicare eligibility age to encompass no more than 9 percent of the population.

So as life expectancy rises, the eligibility age would automatically rise with it.

I did not pick that figure out of midair. When Medicare was created in 1965, 9 percent of the population was over the age of 65.

there's more than one way ..

Increase worker and employer contributions. Workers and their employers currently pay 6.2 percent of earnings up to $106,800 into the Social Security system, or a maximum of $6,622 each per year. Self-employed workers are required to pay 12.4 percent of pay up to the same cap. If the contribution rate were increased by 1.1 percent to 7.3 percent of earnings, Social Security’s projected deficit would be eliminated. Using this fix, a worker making $43,451 in 2010 would face a tax increase of $478 a year, or $9.19 a week, and the employer would face an identical increase.

but nooooooooooooooooooooo $9.19 a week cuts Starbucks out of my routine.

The fact that you are almost certainly enjoying an overpaid pension by some leftist government institution explains your views in complete detail.

Yep would be good to cut it, Middle aged and stopped working, who do you think pays for your free shit?

Trumplings should abandon their love for the phrase "free shit"
Cuz that's what the new Republican tax plan just gave the top 1% who will now get 86% of the spoils

Sorry, but we are long overdue to raise the Social Security age.

Did you know that back in 1983, Congress raised the retirement age to 67?

Yeah, they added two years.

But get this. The extra two years would not take full effect until 2022! FORTY YEARS INTO THE FUTURE! Long after those cowardly bastards were all dead and buried.

How much do you think our life expectancy has risen in that period?

Answer: EIGHT YEARS!

We need to raise it to 70 for everyone immediately.

I don't know what the answer is, but both countries are headed for an unsustainable upside down pyramid of taxpayers to tax consumers via government support of one kind or another.

People will be routinely living to 100, and automation/robotics is going to render a large percentage of working age people unemployable. Not good!

The fact that you are almost certainly enjoying an overpaid pension by some leftist government institution explains your views in complete detail.

Yep would be good to cut it, Middle aged and stopped working, who do you think pays for your free shit?

Cuz that's what the new Republican tax plan just gave the top 1% who will now get 86% of the spoils

The plan lets them keep more of the money they earned. That's not free shit. What you are getting is free shit in the form of overpaid, useless government jobs. All paid by honest, hard working Americans.

And as long as that is the case I will keep hammering on it, relentlessly.

Let the crying commence.

13i157.jpg

Sorry, but we are long overdue to raise the Social Security age.

Did you know that back in 1983, Congress raised the retirement age to 67?

Yeah, they added two years.

But get this. The extra two years would not take full effect until 2022! FORTY YEARS INTO THE FUTURE! Long after those cowardly bastards were all dead and buried.

How much do you think our life expectancy has risen in that period?

Answer: EIGHT YEARS!

We need to raise it to 70 for everyone immediately.
I can't disagree with your reasoning.

When a pseudocon gets a deduction or exemption or credit which is paid for by higher tax rates on every taxpayer, they call that "getting to keep more of my own money" when it is in fact theft that is taken from the pockets of every taxpayer and a considerable portion is borrowed from China.

"Gimme gimme gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

But when a poor person gets food stamps, the very same sucklings don't fail to point the finger and call it "free shit".

The only thing wrong with that G5000 is just the other day I was reading about the average life span of 60 as you say when SS was created but this number is deceiving.....the reason the avg was 60 is because we had a lot more deaths for children under a few years old, either death at childbirth or within a couple of years of birth, and if you hit say 20 yrs old, then you were likely to live until your mid 70's or 80's....

I am not saying the age of retirement should not be changed, but just saying it is not true that those that reached retirement age only lived a few years of collecting Social Security....that is not true, they lived for a decade and a half or more on social security, even back then.

Last edited:

No, free shit is giving something to someone that is not already theirs.

If a robber pulls a gun on you, takes all your money from your wallet, then before leaving gives you twenty for cab fair, only you would classify that as accepting free shit, Right?

The white collar worker of 1935 was also at an advantage over a blue collar worker. Nothing has changed in that respect. If it would be unfair to the blue collar worker to raise the retirement age to 70 today, it was just as unfair to set the retirement age to 65 in 1935. In fact, it was much more unfair back then to blue collar workers.

The blue collar worker of today is in far better condition than even the white collar worker of 1935.

What I mean by "index to 9% of the population" is that we should adjust the SS and Medicare eligibility age to encompass no more than 9 percent of the population.

So as life expectancy rises, the eligibility age would automatically rise with it.

I did not pick that figure out of midair. When Medicare was created in 1965, 9 percent of the population was over the age of 65.

Smart - I nominate our new unaffiliated USMB member to present this in a bipartisan manner to our idiot congress.

But what will you say when lobbyists (the same ones who wrote 80% of our awesome new tax plan) attempt to stuff cash in your vest? ;)

The only thing wrong with that G5000 is just the other day I was reading about the average life span of 60 as you say when SS was created but this number is deceiving.....the reason the avg was 60 is because we had a lot more deaths for children under a few years old, either death at childbirth or within a couple of years of birth, and if you hit say 20 yrs old, then you were likely to live until your mid 70's or 80's....

I am not saying the age of retirement should not be changed, but just saying it is not true that those that reached retirement age only lived a few years of collecting Social Security....and that is not true, they lived for a decade and a half or more on social security, even back then.

^^^^ statistics can be deceiving

there's more than one way ..

Increase worker and employer contributions. Workers and their employers currently pay 6.2 percent of earnings up to $106,800 into the Social Security system, or a maximum of $6,622 each per year. Self-employed workers are required to pay 12.4 percent of pay up to the same cap. If the contribution rate were increased by 1.1 percent to 7.3 percent of earnings, Social Security’s projected deficit would be eliminated. Using this fix, a worker making $43,451 in 2010 would face a tax increase of $478 a year, or $9.19 a week, and the employer would face an identical increase.

but nooooooooooooooooooooo $9.19 a week cuts Starbucks out of my routine.
I would prefer to vote for a D who campaigned on eliminating the cap entirely. But funneled the added revenue into the general fund to pay for greater numbers of people qualifying as disabled. That wouldn't help medicare. But the fact is we lack workers numbers. If people physically and mentally can work, imo they should.
Unless they have private means to sit.

I am not saying the age of retirement should not be changed, but just saying it is not true that those that reached retirement age only lived a few years of collecting Social Security....and that is not true, they lived for a decade and a half or more on social security, even back then.

THIS my friends is smart dialog and an excellent point .. thanks Care!

Common sense.

Agreed, but two issues:

1) A white collar worker is going to be physically more able than a school district janitor to work an extra 5 or 6 years, but parity on that gets complicated.

Also, not sure what you mean by "indexing them to 9% of population" Help me out here, I'm not an economist.

That's OK. I'm sure that once TrumpCare kicks in, people will be dying off sooner. I'm 61 now, and was planning on working another 4 or 5 years. If these assholes want to start moving the retirement bar continuously, so people have to work until they drop dead, I'll start claiming SS benefits as soon as I can before they make that change.

No, free shit is giving something to someone that is not already theirs.

If a robber pulls a gun on you, takes all your money from your wallet, then before leaving gives you twenty for cab fair, only you would classify that as accepting free shit, Right?

Dude, that's just stupid - but there's been no shortage of that from you today has there?
Are you in the top 1% making over half a million a year and enjoying 86% of the spoils of the awesome new tax law at the expense of hardworking middle-class folk and believing that is somehow righteous?
If so, be the fuck ashamed

How close are you to the top 1%? - CNNMoney

Forum List

Back