November 22nd - JFK Assassination Day!

I remember quite well sitting in Physics class and a teacher appeared in the door and said the president was dead. What I remember is that didn't know what my reaction should be. But I do remember some of the other boys cheering which seem kinda strange. Other then that I don't remember a whole lot of crying.

Kennedy went from being a questionable president to a legend on that day. Had he not been shot I don't believe his legacy would be as grand as it is today. After all he was the ultimate in conservative, "ask not what your country can do for you....." He would be loathed by the Democrat party today.

Other then that it is my firm belief that a sad little man name Oswald killed a president. Doesn't seem to fit the bill a little man perpetrating one of the greatest crimes in history. It is out of balance so I don't really blame those who think he could not act alone. But since no one else has stepped forward it very well must have been him. As with Lennon, Ford and Reagan they all had their assassins only one successful. No conspiracy, no coup just a screw up by the SS.

I agree that had Kennedy lived he would not been remembered as fondly.

He would have been re-elected in '64, and would have likely been bogged down with Vietnam just like LBJ, and his presidency would have been effected by the civil rights movement as well.
All and all, I doubt his years would be anything special looking back.

I remember quite well sitting in Physics class and a teacher appeared in the door and said the president was dead. What I remember is that didn't know what my reaction should be. But I do remember some of the other boys cheering which seem kinda strange. Other then that I don't remember a whole lot of crying.

Kennedy went from being a questionable president to a legend on that day. Had he not been shot I don't believe his legacy would be as grand as it is today. After all he was the ultimate in conservative, "ask not what your country can do for you....." He would be loathed by the Democrat party today.

Other then that it is my firm belief that a sad little man name Oswald killed a president. Doesn't seem to fit the bill a little man perpetrating one of the greatest crimes in history. It is out of balance so I don't really blame those who think he could not act alone. But since no one else has stepped forward it very well must have been him. As with Lennon, Ford and Reagan they all had their assassins only one successful. No conspiracy, no coup just a screw up by the SS.

He would have been re-elected in '64, and would have likely been bogged down with Vietnam just like LBJ, and his presidency would have been effected by the civil rights movement as well.

Indeed. the easiest legend in the world comes from being dead. There will always be those who say "Had he lived.....". But he didn't. So he goes down in history as a "great" president. He's not around any longer to argue with. Now, don't get me wrong - I am not disparaging the man. He was what he was - but he was no more than that.

America died that day...in many ways. Primarily because our gov lied to us and covered it up....and now it lies all the time.

I don't think so. Govt was lying to us before kennedy was assassinated.

Indeed. What I "think" (one man's opinion) is that the "powers that be" knew what happened - what led up to the killing of Kennedy and they put their own on the Warren Commission - better to have a "workable and plausible explanation" than to have the people uprising. Very messy.

In Government, the SOP is to always either ignore the questions and wait for them to go away (Obama's favorite tool) or provide the press with a plausible explanation - doesn't have to be the truth. (Bill Clinton's favorite tool) and, no matter what - NEVER, NEVER cop to the truth. Doesn't matter if you were holding the pistol that shot Lincoln - blame it on someone else and continually repeat the lie. The American people will buy anything if it is fed to them enough.

Now the "governments" response to this? Well, you have to understand America - YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

its impossible to forget that horrible day,it altered the course of history not only for america but the world as well forever in the fact he was the last REAL president america had not a puppet for the eastablishment.He served the people instead of the bankers like every president since him has and he paid the price for it.our right to freely elect our leaders was taken away from us that day.

He was returning us to the constitution where the people had control over the government instead of all these businesses and corporations that do now.

He wasnt being their willing puppet doing what they told him to do like every president since him has done which is why they have all stayed alive.

If you truly believe that, you need more help than I can give you. There is NO politician that serves the "people". Politicians, by nature serve special interests and ONLY those special interests that will further their political aspirations. Kennedy was the first politician that cared more about pussy than he did "the people". Hell, where do you think that asshole Clinton got his ideas from? :)

His pants.

JKF was the last liberal President who was not a leftist ideological fanatic. In fact, he often showed signs of genuine conservatism - the tendency to reduce government and let people make their own decisions. This may explain in part why he was assassinated by a genuine leftist fanatic named Lee Harvey Oswald.

Kennedy put in place the biggest tax cut in the country's history at that time, working it through two balky houses of Congress (signed into law by LBJ after Kennedy's assassination). It lowered the top income tax rate from 92% (yes, you heard that right, 92%) to 75%, and lowered all other income tax rates proportionately. (Reagan later reduce the 75% to 50%, and then to 28%)

No wonder the leftist fanatics were upset with him. It may not be the main reason he was assassinated - the leftists were also upset with him over his treatment of their fellow leftists in the USSR and Cuba - but it was certainly a point of contention with them.

He gave a famous speech to the Economic Club of New York describing the reasons why a tax cut was good for the country. It was so prescient and accurate, much of it could have been written by Ronald Reagan.

American Rhetoric John F. Kennedy - Address to the Economic Club of New York

The final and best means of strengthening demand among consumers and business is to reduce the burden on private income and the deterrents to private initiative which are imposed by our present tax system -- and this administration pledged itself last summer to an across-the-board, top-to-bottom cut in personal and corporate income taxes to be enacted and become effective in 1963.

I'm not talking about a "quickie" or a temporary tax cut, which would be more appropriate if a recession were imminent. Nor am I talking about giving the economy a mere shot in the arm, to ease some temporary complaint. I am talking about the accumulated evidence of the last five years that our present tax system, developed as it was, in good part, during World War II to restrain growth, exerts too heavy a drag on growth in peace time; that it siphons out of the private economy too large a share of personal and business purchasing power; that it reduces the financial incenitives [sic] for personal effort, investment, and risk-taking. In short, to increase demand and lift the economy, the federal government's most useful role is not to rush into a program of excessive increases in public expenditures, but to expand the incentives and opportunities for private expenditures.

(I)t should reduce the net taxes by a sufficiently early date and a sufficiently large amount to do the job required. Early action could give us extra leverage, added results, and important insurance against recession.

Corporate tax rates must also be cut to increase incentives and the availability of investment capital.

If Democrat President were to propose such a thing today, and especially get it signed into law, he would be tarred and feathered by his own party and run out of town on a rail. Assassination would be considered too good for him by the leftist fanatics we have today, who consider that only government can be trusted to direct the smallest details of American life.

I was going to create this thread, but thanks. I remember were I was when JFK was assassinated. And the sad feeling afterwards.

I was in Latin class when it was announced. I was numb as was most of the students and our teacher began crying. I believe the buses came early to take us home.

There was 3 days of mourning and the television was on non stop. I saw Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald when he was being moved from jail by the police dept. How horribly sad it was.

John Jr. saluting his father's coffin as it went by in the funeral procession. All tear jerkers.

What will I do to commemorate the day? The same as everyone else. Watch football. Kennedy was not one our finest presidents. But his wife was one of our finest First Ladies as was the Bush's wives.

its impossible to forget that horrible day,it altered the course of history not only for america but the world as well forever in the fact he was the last REAL president america had not a puppet for the eastablishment.He served the people instead of the bankers like every president since him has and he paid the price for it.our right to freely elect our leaders was taken away from us that day.

He was returning us to the constitution where the people had control over the government instead of all these businesses and corporations that do now.

He wasnt being their willing puppet doing what they told him to do like every president since him has done which is why they have all stayed alive.

If you truly believe that, you need more help than I can give you. There is NO politician that serves the "people". Politicians, by nature serve special interests and ONLY those special interests that will further their political aspirations. Kennedy was the first politician that cared more about pussy than he did "the people". Hell, where do you think that asshole Clinton got his ideas from? :)

His pants.

Indeed. Just like JFK........

It's one of the few days of the year I leave politics out of my being and just remember the day.

The sorrow was palpable. I was so young when we were told in a class that President Kennedy had been shot. But from the moment we were told even as children we knew the import of this day.

My family revered the Kennedys and every year it was a pilgrimage to Arlington to the graves on the way back from Florida. My Baba crying yearly into a Holiday Inn hand towel that my dad like the good son in law stole for her to blubber in.

At first it was just President Kennedy and baby Patrick with the Eternal Flame.

Later Bobby.

So to me it's a day of memory of not only the assassination of a President but of all the wonderous moments of one crazy Canuck family who always made sure they came by to honor who they believed to be a great man.

I will remember.

I lived outside of D.C. in Md. Our house was in the flight path when they flew Kennedy's body back to Washington and watched it fly over (all the interior lights were on). I also had a copy of the Washington Star newspaper that came out right after he'd been shot but before he died. It was an evening paper, and the front page article ended saying "The President remains in grave condition". I kept it for years but it got away from me somewhere along the line. Our family went to D.C. to view his casket in the Capitol building. The end of the line was about 3 miles away and it was freezing cold outside. We finally gave up and went home after several hours, the line was moving really slow because people kept cutting in. Sometime later we visited his grave site and the Eternal Flame at Arlington Cemetery.

America died that day...in many ways. Primarily because our gov lied to us and covered it up....and now it lies all the time.

I don't think so. Govt was lying to us before kennedy was assassinated.

Indeed. What I "think" (one man's opinion) is that the "powers that be" knew what happened - what led up to the killing of Kennedy and they put their own on the Warren Commission - better to have a "workable and plausible explanation" than to have the people uprising. Very messy.

In Government, the SOP is to always either ignore the questions and wait for them to go away (Obama's favorite tool) or provide the press with a plausible explanation - doesn't have to be the truth. (Bill Clinton's favorite tool) and, no matter what - NEVER, NEVER cop to the truth. Doesn't matter if you were holding the pistol that shot Lincoln - blame it on someone else and continually repeat the lie. The American people will buy anything if it is fed to them enough.

Now the "governments" response to this? Well, you have to understand America - YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

There is very little reason to believe that Oswald didn't fire the shots that killed Kennedy. Three shots, three casings found at the window. It is unbelievably that they could have been planted after the fact.

In my opinion if the government lied it was to cover for their ineptness in letting the president be killed, much like they lie about Benghazi.

My father was career Air Force stationed at Bergstrom AFB, we were going to be let out of school early to watch the Motorcade as it departed the Base going into Austin, this would have been the next stop after Dallas...We didn't really understand the significance of that day...

Kennedy was not an 'ultimate conservative'. He was as liberal as Bobby and Ted.

Had President Kennedy lived, Vietnam would have been a small footnote in American history. He would have never Americanized the war. The official U.S. policy the day he died was to withdraw 1,000 advisors by the end of 1963 and full withdrawal by the end of 1965.

And no, I do NOT believe that Oswald acted alone - but that's me. I held a TS-SC3 Security clearance and I know no more than you do.

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Waitwaitwait. Let me guess. You saw the Sooper Sekrit X-Files and it said Alan Greenspan was the second shooter on the grassy knoll. What do I win?

Forum List

Back