No Thinking Outside the Box Allowed

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Don't Think Outside the College Box
By Debra J. Saunders, San Francisco Chronicle
August 3, 2006

Cardiff knows conservative professors "who are afraid to share their point of view," lest their colleagues turn on them. "You've got this situation where universities are professing to support intellectual freedom, academic freedom, when in reality there's a chilling effect on actual political discussion."

Many professors see their universe as expansive and novel. Yet, Cardiff noted, "If you're only getting one point of view, you're living in an echo chamber." The worst of it is, the most ideologically pure professors have so isolated themselves that, according to Cardiff, "a lot of these folks don't realize there are other opinions out there."

The Critical Review articles bared two disturbing trends: First, left-leaning academics are more orthodox than right-leaning academics. Klein, and Charlotta Stern of the Institute for Social Research in Stockholm, who conducted the social-scientist survey, polled academics about their views on where government intervention works best. They found "almost no diversity of opinion among the Democratic professors." Republicans -- no surprise -- demonstrated more ideological diversity. GOP scholars also are more likely to work outside the university -- and that's no accident.

Second, as Klein succinctly put it, "It's going to become more lopsided in the future." Cardiff and Klein looked at the younger ranks of academia -- tenure-track and associate profs -- and found the ratio of Ds to Rs to be even greater.

So the future could see state universities morph into today's UC Berkeley, where Cardiff and Klein found 445 Dems to 45 Repubs. Group-think will further marginalize any free thinkers.

If you think outside the box, you work outside the institution. That's where academia is heading.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/08/03/EDGOBIQ0961.DTL

I don't really see why this should concern anyone other than mayber a Political Science major. It's not like politics plays into Literature of the Late Victorian Era or Organic Chemistry all that much. The only class I've really seen politics intrude in any serious manner was a practical logic class and a class on partisanship. As long as professors stick to the subject matter, and I've never seen any stray, there shouldn't be a problem.

I don't really see why this should concern anyone other than mayber a Political Science major. It's not like politics plays into Literature of the Late Victorian Era or Organic Chemistry all that much. The only class I've really seen politics intrude in any serious manner was a practical logic class and a class on partisanship. As long as professors stick to the subject matter, and I've never seen any stray, there shouldn't be a problem.

Mr. Conley, in the 70's I had a sociology professor who tried to make it required that we attend a rally at the Civic Center to protest the shah of Iran being in US for cancer treatment. For some reason, I thought that had zippo to do with deviance, which was what we're studying. I had to not only protest to the chair, then a dean, I was forced to confront the teacher and a couple of administrators. I believe to this day, if I wasn't as active as I was in politics on campus, my grade would have been lowered. Nothing I've seen leads me to believe it's gotten better on campus, regarding politics.

Hmmm... I agree that hard sciences are mostly immune from PC, but as to the rest of the world of higher education, it's saturated. I can assure you that they squeeze all the feminism, racism, etc. crap into Literature of the Late Victorian Era they possibly can. They find oppression of women and minorities in some of the most unbelievable places.

Forum List

Back