No Mow May

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Goats are tasty. It's like raising little cows. But you have to feed cows. Cows cost money. Goats are probably practically free after you buy a couple and they start breeding?
Also Milk from the Goats!

The Serbian woman once told me she didn’t eat Goat Cheese and neither did here Mexican Friend, and I asked her do you like Chevre and they both replied with yes and their mother’s were shocked and screamed you eat Goat Cheese you nimrods!!!

I tried that once,, once,,
LOL.....The guy favors Peyton Manning. He's using a grass scythe.

I knew my way around a briar scythe pretty well. It would make short work of clearing game trails.

Scythes are sized to the user.....the American Style has movable handles for adjustments. I could never use my granddad's scythe well because he was 6'-5" and I was 6'.

How to Select and Maintain a Scythe

I'm just saying you could go with a natural landscape but if you want to fight so hard to continue doing something that isn't good for the planet and costs you a lot of money, don't say we didn't offer you any suggestions on how to keep more of your disposable income.

Inflation doesn't seem to be hurting you guys that bad. Some of you even bragged how you REFUSE to participate in No Mow May. Fine, then pay $5 a gallon.

United States uses more than 600 million gallons of gas to mow and trim lawns each year — about two gallons of gas for every man, woman and child, or five gallons per household. Mowers also consume engine oil in their crankcases, and two-stroke mowers consume oil in their fuel.

What is 600 million x $5?

Inflation doesn't seem to be hurting you guys that bad.

Everyone is hurt by Bidenflation.

What is 600 million x $5?

Much less costly than Bidenflation.

I did a search for the word GAS and plugged in your name. 16 pages of threads where you are talking about gas. You seem obsessed?
Did you read what I said, or just know that I responded. Bottom line is, nobody is thrilled about higher gas prices at same or lower productions and lower exploration/drilling expense except big oil, who are making record profits. Oil stock prices are the highest they have been in over 3 years, so it is good for somebody, just not most of us.

I had my yard and field mowed, but left the areas she couldn't get with the riding mower for the pollinators. Then I walked through one edge to fill the bird feeder, and when I came in and changed my clothes, I had a tick on my leg. Fortunately, it hadn't attached. Tick bites are real bad news here. When my husband got one, he woke up shivering violently. He tested positive not only for Lyme disease but also for just about every other tick borne disease except Rocky Mountain spotted fever (I'm on the east coast). I'll dress just short of a hazmat suit and weed whack a few paths and let the 'grass' grow longer than usual, but won't endanger my health.

I did a search for the word GAS and plugged in your name. 16 pages of threads where you are talking about gas. You seem obsessed?
Actually, many are obsessed with the higher prices in fuel and alternatives are always welcome but even if fuel goes down or pay goes up the fact is our society should be more committed to a echo-friendly lifestyle and move further away from the way we live now.

I believe in using Barrels to catch rain Water to reuse for the garden and like O wrote Goats are a great way to keep lawn maintenance down…

Apartment communities can do more to make things echo-friendly by catching rain water to be used to water the grounds with to using a more natural way of keeping lawn care down…

I had my yard and field mowed, but left the areas she couldn't get with the riding mower for the pollinators. Then I walked through one edge to fill the bird feeder, and when I came in and changed my clothes, I had a tick on my leg. Fortunately, it hadn't attached. Tick bites are real bad news here. When my husband got one, he woke up shivering violently. He tested positive not only for Lyme disease but also for just about every other tick borne disease except Rocky Mountain spotted fever (I'm on the east coast). I'll dress just short of a hazmat suit and weed whack a few paths and let the 'grass' grow longer than usual, but won't endanger my health.
Sounds like you need to move some possums into your area. They are big tick eaters.

I'm a believer in "take care of your possum and your possum will take care of you". I toss my resident possum scraps in the winter to keep it around....Nary a tick come this time of year either. ;)

What is No Mow May? It encourages anyone with a yard to not mow their lawns throughout the month to protect pollinator habitats.
Neat idea, but two things:

1) the city will come out and mow your lawn for you for a nice fee, if you try this

2) How in the hell do you plan to mow your yard after letting it go for a month? With a bulldozer?

;)

kxejHtX.gif
That's good for the ole vertebrae.:omg:

Last edited:
Did you read what I said, or just know that I responded. Bottom line is, nobody is thrilled about higher gas prices at same or lower productions and lower exploration/drilling expense except big oil, who are making record profits. Oil stock prices are the highest they have been in over 3 years, so it is good for somebody, just not most of us.
You are confused.

The stupid Environmental Wackos are thrilled because the high cost of fuel. Just what they wanted and their idiot boy delivered.

I would love to have a yard like this that you don't have to cut the grass.

View attachment 647729

Yale University has estimated that the United States uses more than 600 million gallons of gas to mow and trim lawns each year

At $6 a gallon? Are you rich? Do the math. And if you can afford to waste money like that, don't complain about inflation.

Go with a natural lawn, save the planet, and some money. Or don't.

This will shock you to know, but in some places it is cheaper to mow your grass than have the city slap a weed lien on your property after they pay someone else to do it for you. Around here they pay the mowers about $50 to mow it and then put a $275 lien on your property.

Also Milk from the Goats!

The Serbian woman once told me she didn’t eat Goat Cheese and neither did here Mexican Friend, and I asked her do you like Chevre and they both replied with yes and their mother’s were shocked and screamed you eat Goat Cheese you nimrods!!!
When we retired and moved back to KY, we looked at a little 10-acre farm. The previous owners owned goats and made soap out of the milk.

Ticks are bad news. Lone Star ticks are spreading meat allergies. My parents both got it about 25 years ago, and I have a coworker now with it.

Someone already posted a link for electric mowers. Recently, I saw an ad on the 'net that was for an electric riding lawnmower, and it said it would mow 2 1/2 acres on a single charge, so you really don't need a gas mower if you don't want one.

That being said, it's really not that expensive to mow the lawn with gas. My fiancee lives on a large tract of land (her parents own a lot of land as well as a trailer park, all total probably around 4 to 5 acres of mowing) and it can be done for around 5 or 6 gallons of gas on a riding mower. (Yeah, riding mowers are the bomb, never used one until I started living here with her. Before that it was a push mower in the city.) We only have to do it around every 2 weeks or so.

As far as goats? Used to raise them when I was in high school, and they kept the grass golf course short and looking good. Also ate a lot of the weeds that would have needed a weed eater to get at. And, if you keep the doe away from the buck, the milk is actually better tasting (to me anyway) than cows milk, as it has smaller fat globs in it. Makes better ice cream too. Another benefit is that your skin won't break out like it does when you drink cows milk. Went through all of high school without any acne.

As far as the mow free May thing? Sorry, can't quite get behind that one as I like my yard to look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back