No meat on Friday?

Is that just for Catholics?

Also, while going to Catholic School, we were fed fish on Friday more often than not.

I asked a nun and she told me fish wasn't meat. Since you just don't call nuns liars, I asked a Junior Priest. He got all bent outta shape and his response was useless and long.

So, why can Catholics ear fish on Friday?

Please don't tell me it's not meat.

Note to the god haters; This is a serious question, please keep your blather off the thread. Thank you.

Many of the branches of Catholic doctrine eat fish on Friday's. Not just the Catholic church.
Why? Because it is to abstain from warm blooded flesh meat not just meat.
It was wrong of the nun to tell you that fish was not meat.
the reason why the church did it;
it is a penance imposed by the Church to commemorate the day of the Crucifixion of Our Lord – to enable us to make a small sacrifice for the incredible sacrifice He made for our salvation. Why, then, is fish allowed? The drawing of a symbolic fish in the dirt was a way that the early Christians knew each other when it was dangerous to admit in public that one was Christian. Our Lord cooked fish for His Apostles after His Resurrection, and most of these men were fisherman. After He established His Church, these fishermen became “fishers of men” for the Kingdom of God.

Thanks.

I still don't see the big difference between eating a warm blooded animal and a fish.

something dies so we can eat it eat meat.

and if the symbol was a fish...

ohh, my head

Back in the day, meat was a luxury and fish was plentiful. It was considered a sacrifice and a reminder about those who go hungry. Today it's considered a minor inconvenience, and it does make people stop and think about God and others for at least a few minutes a week. Not a bad thing at all IMHO.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
Two I'm glad you're on here, we went through pretty much all the same stuff as catholics growing up with the same questions.

I never understood the "fish isn't meat" stuff either, didn't matter much to me because I've always hated seafood. So fridays especially sucked for me, nuthin but mac+cheese and grilled cheese all day every freakin' week during Lent.

Two I'm glad you're on here, we went through pretty much all the same stuff as catholics growing up with the same questions.

I never understood the "fish isn't meat" stuff either, didn't matter much to me because I've always hated seafood. So fridays especially sucked for me, nuthin but mac+cheese and grilled cheese all day every freakin' week during Lent.

I recall the mac n cheese. :puke:

It was always over cooked, and somehow managed to be soggy and paste like at the same time.

But the best [and by best I mean I still wake up screaming] was when they added stewed tomato stuff.

It's what I thought brains looked like after getting shot in the head.

You got grilled cheese? Damn. My choices were fish sticks / fillets or the mac n cheese. Not even veggy soup.

During the early Middle Ages, meat, eggs and dairy products were generally forbidden. Thomas Aquinas argued that "they afford greater pleasure as food [than fish], and greater nourishment to the human body, so that from their consumption there results a greater surplus available for seminal matter, which when abundant becomes a great incentive to lust."[11]

Also, while going to Catholic School, we were fed fish on Friday more often than not.

I asked a nun and she told me fish wasn't meat. Since you just don't call nuns liars, I asked a Junior Preist. He got all bent outta shape and his response was useless and long.

Note to the god haters; This is a serious question, please keep your blather off the thread. Thank you.

All i know is that after a week in the hospital, the condition for me getting out was to eat a meal and keep it down.

OMG.. it was Friday and it was fish! :eek:

I recall the mac n cheese. :puke:

It was always over cooked, and somehow managed to be soggy and paste like at the same time.

But the best [and by best I mean I still wake up screaming] was when they added stewed tomato stuff.

It's what I thought brains looked like after getting shot in the head.

You got grilled cheese? Damn. My choices were fish sticks / fillets or the mac n cheese. Not even veggy soup.

Oh I'm talking about the lunches mommy made for me, as far as school lunches I can remember mostly awful tomato soup and grilled cheese if it weren't seafood.

They did away with the meatless Firdays decades ago.

But what happened to all those people who were sentenced to hell for eating meat on Fiday before the ban was lifted?

They were upgraded to Purgatory...LOL

I asked a nun and she told me fish wasn't meat. Since you just don't call nuns liars, I asked a Junior Preist. He got all bent outta shape and his response was useless and long.

All i know is that after a week in the hospital, the condition for me getting out was to eat a meal and keep it down.

:lol:

I know it's wrong to laugh at other peoples misery.

but

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

But what happened to all those people who were sentenced to hell for eating meat on Fiday before the ban was lifted?

Thank you for your hyperbolic bullshit.

Fish on Fridays was, traditionally, to save money and that money was donated to the poor. Nothing to do with hell. Just a way of making a very small sacrifice for the benefit of others. But please don't let the facts concern you. I'm sure bullshit suits you better.

And... for the record, while it is no longer a tradition, many Catholics still maintain it... including pretty much everyone in my family. I don't even order meat in restaurants if it's a Friday.

It's our tradition, feel free to mock it for the sake of petty bullshit.

Last edited:

Fish on Fridays was, traditionally, to save money and that money was donated to the poor. Nothing to do with hell. Just a way of making a very small sacrifice for the benefit of others. But please don't let the facts concern you. I'm sure bullshit suits you better.

And... for the record, while it is no longer a tradition, many Catholics still maintain it... including pretty much everyone in my family. I don't even order meat in restaurants if it's a Friday.

LOL! It wasn't done to save money to donate to the poor. It was done as a form of penance to honor Jesus who died on the cross on a Friday.

But you are correct, one didn't go to hell for not observing it.

I have a friend who is Catholic and he has one of those huge walk-in freezers just off of his kitchen and it is full of fish which he eats every Friday. He plays bingo every Thursday evening and eats fish on Fridays. Other than always trying to confess something to you, he's a regular guy.

LOL! It wasn't done to save money to donate to the poor. It was done as a form of penance to honor Jesus who died on the cross on a Friday.

I didn't say what the 'reason' was - I said we did it to send money to CAFOD. Certainly, in our parish that's what happened. The money was collected and donated to CAFOD. Get over your enthusiasm to bounce all up and down over the least little thing, Ravi.

I fail to see why it's something that non Catholics feel they need to get bent out of shape about. So we don't eat meat on Fridays? So?

:lol:

I know it's wrong to laugh at other peoples misery.

but

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

I didn't care what it was that was coming...all i knew it was going to stay down god damn it! And considering they had not feed or watered me in a week!! ... i was surprised it stayed down myself.

But WHY did it have to be fish? .....and hospital fish at that!!!! :evil::evil:

Its alright to laugh.. i laugh about it myself.

I didn't say what the 'reason' was - I said we did it to send money to CAFOD. Certainly, in our parish that's what happened. The money was collected and donated to CAFOD. Get over your enthusiasm to bounce all up and down over the least little thing, Ravi.

I fail to see why it's something that non Catholics feel they need to get bent out of shape about. So we don't eat meat on Fridays? So?

So you admit you were wrong when you said:

Fish on Fridays was, traditionally, to save money and that money was donated to the poor.

:thup:

Fish on Fridays was, traditionally, to save money and that money was donated to the poor.

She can afford what ever she wants.. It doesn't stop her from making donations.. How about you Ravi.. do you have two cents to rub together?

Blues

Good lord you Two.

so far I've gotten more than one reason for the no meat Friday.

so it seems people did it and keep doing it for different reasons.

The inconsistancy is bothersome, but not the all together reasoning.

Good lord you Two.

The inconsistency is only in your head and in the false postings of those that don't know what they are talking about.

Good lord you Two.

The inconsistency is only in your head and in the false postings of those that don't know what they are talking about.

Your claim for why comes from the middle ages, and has little to no religious basis, even though it seems to have good reasoning.

Do you have a link to that c-p? I'd like to delve into that futher and possibly find proof that it has nothing to do with the bible or not.

Who cares if Catholics do or don't eat meat on Fridays?

They didn't eat meat on Fridays when I was a kid, but then, later, they did, and now maybe they don't again.

It's more of an issue for them. Eating meat on a Lenten Friday is a mortal sin. They're going to hell for that TGIFridays burger.

Last edited:
Good lord you Two.

Your claim for why comes from the middle ages, and has little to no religious basis, even though it seems to have good reasoning.

Do you have a link to that c-p? I'd like to delve into that futher and possibly find proof that it has nothing to do with the bible or not.

That one was from wikipedia, quoting St. Thomas Aquina's book.

Here's more information on abstinence and refraining from meat:

Fasting and Abstinence - Easter / Lent - Catholic Online

Forum List

Back