Newt on Trump

also in contrast with the reality of what we've all seen of trump...

"low tone" and "totally under control" is what newt says about their recent meeting.

of course you'd like newt's comments to erase the red meat rhetoric trump has employed.

blame the media for the caricature trump himself has proudly projected..? :lol:

From Slate, no less.

Very good article, very much worth reading.

A Spirited Debate With Newt Gingrich on the Merits of Donald Trump

"
Isaac Chotiner: You were at a meeting on Monday with other Washington figures and Trump. What did you make of him?

Newt Gingrich: Well, Callista and I were both very impressed. In that kind of a setting he talks in a relatively low tone. He is very much somebody who has been good at business. And he listens well. He outlined the campaign as he saw it. I think he did a good job listening. He occasionally asked clarifying questions. He was very open to critical advice. I am not going to get into details, but I will say my overall impression was that in that setting he was totally under control as a guy who has done a ton of business and knows exactly how to operate in that kind of room."

Very much different than the caricature that the Main Stream Media and the Political Class would have you believe.

That may well be the rea
From Slate, no less.

"
Isaac Chotiner: You were at a meeting on Monday with other Washington figures and Trump. What did you make of him?

Newt Gingrich: Well, Callista and I were both very impressed. In that kind of a setting he talks in a relatively low tone. He is very much somebody who has been good at business. And he listens well. He outlined the campaign as he saw it. I think he did a good job listening. He occasionally asked clarifying questions. He was very open to critical advice. I am not going to get into details, but I will say my overall impression was that in that setting he was totally under control as a guy who has done a ton of business and knows exactly how to operate in that kind of room."

Very much different than the caricature that the Main Stream Media and the Political Class would have you believe.

That may well be the real Donald Trump, but that is not the Donald Trump that he has portrayed to the public. He has portrayed himself as a vile nasty hateful human being to gain the support of vile nasty hateful voters who hate anything that isn't white or male. Trump has run his campaign from the gutter, therefore I don't care who the real Donald Trump might be. I've seen enough of whom he wants us to believe he is that he would never get my vote.

From Slate, no less.

"

Wait a minute, you mean the realty star Trump doesn't call any woman who doesn't sleep with him a fat slob all the time? Who would have ever guessed that a guy who has built multiple hotels and golf courses, and negotiated with bankers and CEO's would behave differently than when he is mugging for a TV audience? It's shocking! If he can't show us who he really is during a 90 minute debate, then we should not vote for him. I want a President who will shake hands with Putin, and then whip out his package to show Putin who he is dealing with. Trump can not be trusted.

No, it's not shocking. It's you lefties who seem to think that his public persona and style is the whole of him.

This is a peek behind the public image.

Do you have some thing to say on that topic?

Are you calling me a lefty? Are you asking me if I have something to say on the topic? If so, re- read my post....but with sarcasm this time. You'll feel me.

I didn't see an endorsement there. Clearly, Newt's purpose is to pacify the Cruz people who are threatening to sit out if Trump gets the nomination.

No one said it was an endorsement.

Do you have a comment on the very different picture of the man that Newt reports as opposed to what the Media has given you?

From Slate, no less.

"

Wait a minute, you mean the realty star Trump doesn't call any woman who doesn't sleep with him a fat slob all the time? Who would have ever guessed that a guy who has built multiple hotels and golf courses, and negotiated with bankers and CEO's would behave differently than when he is mugging for a TV audience? It's shocking! If he can't show us who he really is during a 90 minute debate, then we should not vote for him. I want a President who will shake hands with Putin, and then whip out his package to show Putin who he is dealing with. Trump can not be trusted.

No, it's not shocking. It's you lefties who seem to think that his public persona and style is the whole of him.

This is a peek behind the public image.

Do you have some thing to say on that topic?

Are you calling me a lefty? Are you asking me if I have something to say on the topic? If so, re- read my post....but with sarcasm this time. You'll feel me.

Oh, sorry.

It is hard to catch satire of libs. They are so over the top in their irrationality that the worst satire often falls short of how truly irrational they are.

also in contrast with the reality of what we've all seen of trump...

"low tone" and "totally under control" is what newt says about their recent meeting.

of course you'd like newt's comments to erase the red meat rhetoric trump has employed.

blame the media for the caricature trump himself has proudly projected..? :lol:

No, I would like some discussion of what this different view of the candidate means.

I certainly DON'T want the "Red meat" forgotten.

But "serving" "red meat" doesn't mean that the candidate in question is NOT thoughtful or intelligent or reasonable.

"when libs have anything real to say, is that Trump is so self assured that he is not open to criticism."

bull. there's plenty critical to say about trump.

you couch his supposed flexibility in one comfy word "criticism".

open to criticism of what?

are you actually claiming he doesn't have inflexible policy suggestions deserving of criticism?

newts different view means maybe he's hoping to be nominated as vp.

do you have any other example of other supposedly unfounded criticism by the media?

any other example other than newt says he's open to newt's opinion......?

"He is very much somebody who has been good at business. And he listens well. He outlined the campaign as he saw it. I think he did a good job listening. He occasionally asked clarifying questions. He was very open to critical advice. I am not going to get into details, but I will say my overall impression was that in that setting he was totally under control as a guy who has done a ton of business"

:uhoh3:

"when libs have anything real to say, is that Trump is so self assured that he is not open to criticism."

bull. there's plenty critical to say about trump.

you couch his supposed flexibility in one comfy word "criticism".

open to criticism of what?

are you actually claiming he doesn't have inflexible policy suggestions deserving of criticism?

1. I specified that "not open to criticism" was one example of what I have heard libs state about Trump.

2. That in no way claims that there is no "policy suggestions" that could be criticized.

Correll would like some liberals to agree with Gingrich's take on Trump. Correll liked what Gingrich had to say about Trump....and Correll believes that Gingrich is a wise man and a great judge of character.

Correll isn't happy that he can't get any libs to express how they may have misunderstood Trump, based on this new information. After all, Newt is such a brilliant man, his opinion about Trump should be given a lot of consideration

Awesome thread and great topic, Correll. I'm going to reconsider my opinion of Mr. Trump. I have so much respect for what Newt Gingrich has to say, that I have no choice.

Thanks for bringing this important information to us.

From Slate, no less.

"

Thanks for posting that. There is indeed a chance he could become President, so in that light, Newt's comments give me some hope. I take the comments of any politician, pundit, politico or partisan with a pretty large grain of salt, but I'll take what I can get.

The two most hopeful things he said are that Trump listens well and asks clarifying questions. Good. That indicates a curiosity and a seriousness that he hasn't displayed generally. And I base that opinion not on media reports, but from direct observation of the guy.

I agree with you that there is a discrepancy, and by all means, the closer Trump is to Newt's comments the better. But at the same time, there is also a huge discrepancy in the embarrassing carnival barker he is on the campaign trail, and the thoughtful adult Newt claims he is in private. Why is that discrepancy so large? And does he realize that his campaign behavior will probably deny him the opportunity to BE that thoughtful adult in the White House?

Trump says that he'll become more presidential after he wins the nomination. He is gonna be so presidential, that we will all be bored by him.

That makes sense, though. He isn't the president yet....so there is no real need for him to be presidential. I'll buy that.

From Slate, no less.

"

Support from Newt Gingrich.....another good reason to reject Trump.

Trump says that he'll become more presidential after he wins the nomination. He is gonna be so presidential, that we will all be bored by him.

That makes sense, though. He isn't the president yet....so there is no real need for him to be presidential. I'll buy that.
If by not Presidential you mean Trump constantly yammers like a petulant teenage girl on social media........then yeah, I'd say you're right.

Forum List

Back