NBA legend Bill Russell has passed away peacefully at the age of 88. RIP...11x NBA Champion, 12X All-Star

No they didn't, you just didn't have the media coverage and social media that you do today. They were just as arrogant as they are today, the only difference was that the majority of the players were white.
Oh, pulled the race card, huh? What an idiot.

The ego's were left at the door, I don't care how much you deny that, bro.

well none of us were alive back then (i believe) so we can't say for sure, can we?

i'm not from that era, i would pick the flashy players anyway...my all-time 5:

Jason Williams
Reggie Miller
Larry Bird
Chris Webber
Hakeem Olajuwon
But if you had to pick an all time team… you can’t pick five five guards or five centers. You’d get beat every time.
I’d go Russell at 5
Bird at 2,3,4,5
Jordan at 2,3,4
Oscar Robertson at every position
Mark Price at 1

Pulled the denial card, listen to the old players like Bill Russell and Wilt just to name a few as they talk about their experiences during the Good Old Days.

from a book about Bill Russell and Bob Cousy:

As Babe Ruth once was the Sultan of Swat and Joe Louis the
Brown Bomber, Bob Cousy was the Houdini of the Hardwood. Russell would
become the winningest player in National Basketball Association history, but he escaped without a nickname. He was just Russ.

Bill Russell once broke an uncommon tension in the locker room by barking
out, “Hey, if you guys are worrying about playing them, how do you think they must feel having to play us?” The Celtics laughed, knowing he was right

If anyone called it the NBA championship, Russell would wag his finger and correct them: It was the world’s championship.
Then the Celtics won it again, and again, and again, and . . .
It all began with the ball in Russell’s hands

The men who were the Celtics were more prolific over a thirteen-year span
than the New York Yankees, Green Bay Packers, and Montreal Canadiens ever
were, winning eleven NBA championships from 1957 to 1969, including eight
consecutively

The Celtics enshrined Bill Russell’s No. 6 among those that will never be worn again. The NBA should do the same...Retire Rusell's Number!

FZF4p5FXkAIGZbh

Was the greatest player of his time and a great ambassador for the sport.

RIP Bill!
He wasn't the greatest player of his time. Wilt Chamberlain is in that conversation. That era was different. Teams had regional control of college players. Boston management was ahead of the curve as they jettisoned older players for younger players and draft picks from other teams. Russell was a cog in the wheel of 5 players that meshed together by those rules with others coming off the bench. Boston back then was free agency super teams without free agency. Management was masterful.

But if you had to pick an all time team… you can’t pick five five guards or five centers. You’d get beat every time.
I’d go Russell at 5
Bird at 2,3,4,5
Jordan at 2,3,4
Oscar Robertson at every position
Mark Price at 1
Mark Price?

Forum List

Back