Why Bill Russell is the NBA GOAT

The_Lyrical_Miracle

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2021
Bill Russell is the GOAT of Basketball: Here's why...

- 11 NBA Championships. He won the NBA championship in 85% of the seasons he played.
- 5 MVP's
- 12 times NBA All Star
- Arguably the best defender in NBA history
- Averaged for his career 15 ppg, 22.5 rpg, 4.3 apg

The Celtics had Red Auerbach, Bob Cousey, and other good Celtics players before Russell was on the team and they never made the NBA finals. The Celtics only saw true success once Russell arrived.

More stats:
- Bill missed 4 games in 1962 and they went 0-4 (with Cousy, Sharman, and Coach Red), then he missed 5 games in 1969 and they went 0-5 (with Sam Jones, Havilicek, etc.). And those two streaks are the two largest losing streaks in the entire career of Bill Russell. The guy didn't lose much.
- When Russell retired, the Celtics went from a 48 win team to a 34 win team, even though Havlicek, and other all stars continued playing
- Russell averaged 20 rebounds per game in 10 of the 13 years he played, and once hauled in 51 rebounds.

There was no player that had more grit and will to win than Bill Russell. He kept some of the greatest players of all time from winning championships.. such as Jerry West, Wilt Chaimberlin, Elgin Baylor, and Oscar Robertson.

Bill Russell is the GOAT of Basketball: Here's why...

- 11 NBA Championships. He won the NBA championship in 85% of the seasons he played.
- 5 MVP's
- 12 times NBA All Star
- Arguably the best defender in NBA history
- Averaged for his career 15 ppg, 22.5 rpg, 4.3 apg

The Celtics had Red Auerbach, Bob Cousey, and other good Celtics players before Russell was on the team and they never made the NBA finals. The Celtics only saw true success once Russell arrived.

More stats:
- Bill missed 4 games in 1962 and they went 0-4 (with Cousy, Sharman, and Coach Red), then he missed 5 games in 1969 and they went 0-5 (with Sam Jones, Havilicek, etc.). And those two streaks are the two largest losing streaks in the entire career of Bill Russell. The guy didn't lose much.
- When Russell retired, the Celtics went from a 48 win team to a 34 win team, even though Havlicek, and other all stars continued playing
- Russell averaged 20 rebounds per game in 10 of the 13 years he played, and once hauled in 51 rebounds.

There was no player that had more grit and will to win than Bill Russell. He kept some of the greatest players of all time from winning championships.. such as Jerry West, Wilt Chaimberlin, Elgin Baylor, and Oscar Robertson.
I have to agree. But like Brady, some day some super athletic qb will come around like Kobe Jordan and lebron and make everybody forget about Brady just like we’ve forgotten about bill.

Shame. He doesn’t get the credit he’s due

Different game with the NBA being a sideshow to other sports
Celtics had to beat seven other teams to win a Championship

Hardly compares to the Pats having to beat 31 teams

Chamberlain was better

I've fact checked you many times on your claim. You're just trolling, and I can appreciate a good troll-job.. but come on. I can tell you're interested in the subject, let's talk for real.

I have to agree. But like Brady, some day some super athletic qb will come around like Kobe Jordan and lebron and make everybody forget about Brady just like we’ve forgotten about bill.

Shame. He doesn’t get the credit he’s due
Well, I have no idea why you'd bring up Brady

Chamberlain was better
It’s easier now. 31 means deluded talent.

Back then hockey too only had a few teams and every player was great.

Bill reminds me of Tom. Calmly and quietly won a shit ton of championships.
I'd disagree based on the circumstances of championships.

Brady was a sub-par QB for 3 of his Super Bowl wins, an average QB for a couple.. .and he certainly earned a few as well. I'm not trying to downplay him, he's an all-time, top 3 QB in NFL history.. but people assume that throughout his career he tore up the NFL.. that's not the case.

It’s easier now. 31 means deluded talent.

Back then hockey too only had a few teams and every player was great.
NBA during Bill Russell’s time was diluted talent
Best athletes were in other sports

Today, Basketball has the best players in the world

Wilt was much better than Russell

I'd disagree based on the circumstances of championships.

Brady was a sub-par QB for 3 of his Super Bowl wins, an average QB for a couple.. .and he certainly earned a few as well. I'm not trying to downplay him, he's an all-time, top 3 QB in NFL history.. but people assume that throughout his career he tore up the NFL.. that's not the case.
See? You proved my point. Most people today agree Brady is the goat, you make a good argument why he’s not. Russell was great but no one considers him. It’s always lebron or Jordan.

I don’t think I’m being fair to bill and you’re not being fair to Brady. I even put magic Johnson ahead of him. Who do you put ahead of Brady?

Funny Brady had a perfect season one of the years he lost to the giants in the Super Bowl. If Brady won that Super Bowl, I’d be able to use that perfect season as evidence how great he was but he blew it. Lol

How is that possible, mathematically, when the top talent is spread out between 8-14 teams, (not just 8)...

You don't make mathematical sense.

Who are you talking about

How? Enough with the dancing.. make a point.
Have you ever seen NBA in the 50s and 60s?
Not much talent

Celtics had six HOF players that they kept for a decade
They had to only be better than seven teams

Not close to today’s sports

Have you ever seen NBA in the 50s and 60s?
Not much talent

Celtics had six HOF players that they kept for a decade
They had to only be better than seven teams

Not close to today’s sports
Yea and the pitchers babe Ruth hit home runs off of sucked compared to today’s pitchers. He’s still the goat right? Dominated his era.

See? You proved my point.
You'll have to point that out. Different sports have different circumstances. Brady doesn't play defense, Russell does.

Most people today agree Brady is the goat
Not most.. but the outspoken for sure.

you make a good argument why he’s not. Russell was great but no one considers him. It’s always lebron or Jordan.
They do consider him. However, they don't spend hours on facebook, twitter, etc... they actually watched him as long as Lebron/Jordan. Those who say Lebron/Jordan are the greatest, most never watched a minute of Russell playing, much less know who he even is out of ignorance.
I don’t think I’m being fair to bill and you’re not being fair to Brady.
Trust me, Brady got plenty going his way to get 7 titles. Fairness has little do with it. The guy threw 1 TD pass one year in the entire playoffs, and 0 TD passes in anther year in the entire playoffs, and won 2 Superbowls from it.

I even put magic Johnson ahead of him.
How?

Who do you put ahead of Brady?
Manning, Montana, and probably tied with Elway.

Manning is 3-2 against Brady in the highest level they could play, the AFC championship.

Manning averaged the 17th best defense in his career, Brady averaged the 7th,.

Manning 5 MVP's, Brady 3.

Manning clearly was better at putting up the proper offense to win games, Brady just had better coaching and defense so that his sub-par games could be wins while others who had sub-par games would lose.

Both are all-time greats.
Funny Brady had a perfect season one of the years he lost to the giants in the Super Bowl. If Brady won that Super Bowl, I’d be able to use that perfect season as evidence how great he was but he blew it. Lol
Yes, he blew it. Incredible Superbowl though.

Forum List

Back