Why Bill Russell is the NBA GOAT

Wherever he goes he makes that team a contender. I'll take him on the Pistons if you don't want him.

P.S. This is another hint to me you lean right. Why don't you like Lebron? He's a good guy.
your problem bobo is you bring politics into everything....you think im the only person that dislikes this guy?.....i thought kobe was a great player and guy....does that mean i lean left now?...

i was a Laker fan until they signed lebron.....

I wouldn't say I was a fan of Lakers, but I respected them from the beginning in '79 when Magic was drafted by them! The team was quite impressive; esp. the way they passed the ball around like they were the Globe Trotters! The 1st crack occurred with the way they treated "The Logo," refusing to pay Jerry West as GM saying "the talent should make the money!" They became hypocrites when they hired Phil Jackson as coach more than quadrupling the amount paid to him! I loved how they floundered with Kobe and Shaq before Phil brought in! All that talent and they were eliminated early again and again by lesser teams like Utah! Phil made all the difference winning 5 more champ. for the Lakers, but I lost some respect for them and decisions they started to make under Jennie Buss! I was done by the time they took on the traveling gypsy teammate, LeBron James! They became total jokes in the league picking up Russell Westbrook! :rolleyes: :itsok::stir::auiqs.jpg:

Bill Russell is the GOAT of Basketball: Here's why...

- 11 NBA Championships. He won the NBA championship in 85% of the seasons he played.
- 5 MVP's
- 12 times NBA All Star
- Arguably the best defender in NBA history
- Averaged for his career 15 ppg, 22.5 rpg, 4.3 apg

The Celtics had Red Auerbach, Bob Cousey, and other good Celtics players before Russell was on the team and they never made the NBA finals. The Celtics only saw true success once Russell arrived.

More stats:
- Bill missed 4 games in 1962 and they went 0-4 (with Cousy, Sharman, and Coach Red), then he missed 5 games in 1969 and they went 0-5 (with Sam Jones, Havilicek, etc.). And those two streaks are the two largest losing streaks in the entire career of Bill Russell. The guy didn't lose much.
- When Russell retired, the Celtics went from a 48 win team to a 34 win team, even though Havlicek, and other all stars continued playing
- Russell averaged 20 rebounds per game in 10 of the 13 years he played, and once hauled in 51 rebounds.

There was no player that had more grit and will to win than Bill Russell. He kept some of the greatest players of all time from winning championships.. such as Jerry West, Wilt Chaimberlin, Elgin Baylor, and Oscar Robertson.
They say it's the 15 points a game is why they don't consider him the goat. I am switching my vote to Lebron. He is the GOAT. This is what I said in another thread:

Lebron's legacy is dependent on his teammates. It's not his fault he didn't win more that 4 out of 10. He was always the best athlete on the court all 10 years. He got 10 teams to the NBA finals. You have to give him credit for making it to ten. That has to count for a lot. So I can see why some say Lebron is the goat. He's certainly the best athlete on the floor, still, after 20 years. The young guys are starting to catch up to him but not yet, and that's only after 20 years of him ruling the NBA.

Lebron will go down as the GOAT after he retires. I don't even say unfortunately anymore because he certainly deserves it and is a good person. He ruled the NBA for 20 plus years. Jordan only ruled it for 6.

Bill Russell has 11 rings. Who came closer to catching him Lebron who made it to 10 finals or Jordan who only made it to 6? Who came closer to breaking Bill's record of 11 rings? Lebron who's been to 10 finals or Jordan who won 6? I say Lebron. If Jordan thought he could have gotten to 4 more finals he would have tried. In fact he did try and failed.

Now I'm not rooting against Lebron anymore. Go LA

Bill Russell has 11 rings. Who came closer to catching him Lebron who made it to 10 finals or Jordan who only made it to 6?

Yogi Berra has 10 rings and two MVPs
Doesnt make him the best Baseball player ever

your problem bobo is you bring politics into everything....you think im the only person that dislikes this guy?.....i thought kobe was a great player and guy....does that mean i lean left now?...
Well why don't you like Lebron? Do you think he's arrogant? I don't think he is. Has he not been a great face of the NBA for 20 years?

I can only hope you "hate" him for the same reasons I have hated him all these years. Because he's always winning and he's not on your team. That's the only rational reason to hate him. Or do you hate him because he's a BLM guy?

A lot of people "hate" him for when he left Cleveland and the way he did it. Called a press conference saying he's going to Miami. Whatever. The man is a superhero or as close to it as a man can get. Why do you hate him? I guess that matters. If you say because he's arrogant HA! You would be too. And I don't think he acts arrogant.

I remember sitting in a doctors office and Serena was playing on the TV. Grunting and groaning on each shot, but winning. For AMERICA! She's playing against some foreign little white chick and whipping her ass. This older white woman is watching too but with a disgusted look on her face and as Serena wins the point i look at this woman and say, "isn't she amazing?". And she mumbles angrily, "fucking n**r."

Kobe? Yea, he always seemed cool. But he was arrogant. I guess it was a different kind. Everyone loved Kobe. Even after he raw dogged that slut in the hotel room we were all like, nah, not Kobe". Not too many black men can get away with it but when the girl had seaman from 3 other guys on her underwear, fuck what she says.

Yogi Berra has 10 rings and two MVPs
Doesnt make him the best Baseball player ever

Well if we are using winning and losing as a measuring stick, or one, getting to 10 World Series definitely counts for something.

Where did Yogi fall short?

In those areas, who's better Lebron or Jordan?

I think it might be possible that Lebron goes down as the greatest based on the numbers, but if we were playing best 2 out of 3 and you and I had to pick 4 NBA players, and you go first, who are you going to pick Jordan or Lebron? I pick Jordan, even if Lebron is the GOAT. Does that make sense?

I'm curious what are you criteria for being the GOAT and who wins those categories? I think Jordan was a better defender. Was he? That counts for something.

On another note, I love it that Jordan beat 5 different teams in the Finals. Only Utah got a rematch.

Right now 73% say Jordan is the GOAT but that number keeps getting smaller every day

The results had Jordan as the GOAT for 73 percent of those polled. The gap is closing for James, who set the mark for the most career points in NBA history earlier this season. He surpassed Kareem Abdul-Jabar and could close in on 40,000 points by the time he retires from the NBA.

Well if we are using winning and losing as a measuring stick, or one, getting to 10 World Series definitely counts for something.

Where did Yogi fall short?

In those areas, who's better Lebron or Jordan?

I think it might be possible that Lebron goes down as the greatest based on the numbers, but if we were playing best 2 out of 3 and you and I had to pick 4 NBA players, and you go first, who are you going to pick Jordan or Lebron? I pick Jordan, even if Lebron is the GOAT. Does that make sense?

I'm curious what are you criteria for being the GOAT and who wins those categories? I think Jordan was a better defender. Was he? That counts for something.

On another note, I love it that Jordan beat 5 different teams in the Finals. Only Utah got a rematch.

Right now 73% say Jordan is the GOAT but that number keeps getting smaller every day

The results had Jordan as the GOAT for 73 percent of those polled. The gap is closing for James, who set the mark for the most career points in NBA history earlier this season. He surpassed Kareem Abdul-Jabar and could close in on 40,000 points by the time he retires from the NBA.

Hard to say

With the game on the line and one shot to win, I go with Jordan. He just refused to lose.
I think Lebron is more physically dominating on the court
Jordan got on a great Bulls team and rode them to championship after championship. Just like Bill Russell did
Lebron won championships with three entirely different teams.

Hard to say

With the game on the line and one shot to win, I go with Jordan. He just refused to lose.
I think Lebron is more physically dominating on the court
Jordan got on a great Bulls team and rode them to championship after championship. Just like Bill Russell did
Lebron won championships with three entirely different teams.

A part of me wants to say his teammates weren't that great. They just played their roles well. But then I have to remember that they beat my Bad Boys Piston team to win the East. That had to be a great team. Jordan couldn't have done that by himself.

Then there's the year Jordan left but Scottie tried to win without him

But the team, led by Scottie Pippen and an increased role from both Horace Grant and B. J. Armstrong were able to lead the Bulls to a 55-win season, only 2 wins less than the 1992-93 team, which had Jordan.

Lebron's team this year, for example, is not as good as any of Jordan's team's when he won. So I may have to agree. This even more reason why I think I have to give GOAT to Lebron.

Bill Russell is the GOAT of Basketball: Here's why...

- 11 NBA Championships. He won the NBA championship in 85% of the seasons he played.
- 5 MVP's
- 12 times NBA All Star
- Arguably the best defender in NBA history
- Averaged for his career 15 ppg, 22.5 rpg, 4.3 apg

The Celtics had Red Auerbach, Bob Cousey, and other good Celtics players before Russell was on the team and they never made the NBA finals. The Celtics only saw true success once Russell arrived.

More stats:
- Bill missed 4 games in 1962 and they went 0-4 (with Cousy, Sharman, and Coach Red), then he missed 5 games in 1969 and they went 0-5 (with Sam Jones, Havilicek, etc.). And those two streaks are the two largest losing streaks in the entire career of Bill Russell. The guy didn't lose much.
- When Russell retired, the Celtics went from a 48 win team to a 34 win team, even though Havlicek, and other all stars continued playing
- Russell averaged 20 rebounds per game in 10 of the 13 years he played, and once hauled in 51 rebounds.

There was no player that had more grit and will to win than Bill Russell. He kept some of the greatest players of all time from winning championships.. such as Jerry West, Wilt Chaimberlin, Elgin Baylor, and Oscar Robertson.
A great player and a gentleman

You'll have to point that out. Different sports have different circumstances. Brady doesn't play defense, Russell does.

Not most.. but the outspoken for sure.

They do consider him. However, they don't spend hours on facebook, twitter, etc... they actually watched him as long as Lebron/Jordan. Those who say Lebron/Jordan are the greatest, most never watched a minute of Russell playing, much less know who he even is out of ignorance.

Trust me, Brady got plenty going his way to get 7 titles. Fairness has little do with it. The guy threw 1 TD pass one year in the entire playoffs, and 0 TD passes in anther year in the entire playoffs, and won 2 Superbowls from it.

How?

Manning, Montana, and probably tied with Elway.

Manning is 3-2 against Brady in the highest level they could play, the AFC championship.

Manning averaged the 17th best defense in his career, Brady averaged the 7th,.

Manning 5 MVP's, Brady 3.

Manning clearly was better at putting up the proper offense to win games, Brady just had better coaching and defense so that his sub-par games could be wins while others who had sub-par games would lose.

Both are all-time greats.

Yes, he blew it. Incredible Superbowl though.

Tom Brady regular season records​

• Games started (333)
  • Wins by a starting quarterback (251)
  • Passing yards (89,214)
  • Passing touchdowns (649)
  • Completions (7,753)
  • Touchdowns thrown to different receivers (98)
  • Division titles (19)
  • Pro Bowl appearances (15)
  • Oldest player to win NFL MVP (40 years old)
  • Oldest player to be named First-Team All-Pro (40 years old)
  • Seasons with one team (20, Patriots)
  • Only player to beat all 32 NFL teams

Tom Brady postseason records​

• Games started (48)
  • Wins by a starting quarterback (35)
  • Consecutive playoff wins (10, from 2001-2005)
  • Passing yards (13,400)
  • Passing yards in a game (505)
  • Passing touchdowns (88)
  • Interceptions (39)
  • Completions (1,200)
  • Multi-touchdown passing games (28)
  • Game-winning drives (14)
  • Conference championship appearances (14)
  • Conference championship game wins (10)

Tom Brady Super Bowl records​

• Super Bowl appearances (10)
  • Super Bowl wins (7, more than any NFL franchise)
  • Super Bowl MVPs (5)
  • Touchdown passes (21)
  • Passing yards (3,039)
  • Completions (277)
  • Pass attempts (421)
  • Passing yards in a game (505)
  • Completions in a game (43)
  • Pass attempts in a game (62)
  • Game-winning drives (6)

Forum List

Back