Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
PG:
Magic,
Big O,
Stockton,
Thomas
The Glove
(The oldies will say Cousy, but he lived in a different era and won't be as good today. Kidd didn't shoot well enough; Nash D blew; Frazier is the best argument, I just think the rest on the list are better)

SG:
MJ,
Kobe,
West,
Drexler
R. Miller
(I will take slack fro leaving off Earl the Pearl and Gervin - but I think Drexler and R. Miller were better and played against better talent - I went back and forth - tough call).

SF:
LBJ
Bird
Pippen
Dr. J
D. Wilkens
(Oldies will love Havlick -would be middle of the road at best today- Baylor and Worthy. The top 4 aren't controversial, but Wilkens is. Was my fav as a kid so I might be biased!)

PF:
Duncan (listed as a PF his entire career)
Malone
Barkley
KG
Notwinzki
(I will take slack for Notwinzki over Hayes and McHale, but Notwinzki was one of the best shooters in NBA history and did things no PF has done before or since)

C:
Shaq
The Dream
Kareem
Wilt
Russel
(I will take slack for putting Shaq at the top, but he was the most dominate force the game has ever seen. His only weakness was a weakness of most center - free throws. Russel was great, but I don't think he would be a center in today's game. He would be a PF.)

Cousy would hold his own today....UTube him dribbling out the last minute of a close game sometime....nobody could dribble like Cousy (or pass...he had amazing quickness)....he would have trouble shooting now because he had no jumper and his set shot started in front of his forehead and would get blocked nowadays...Lenny Wilkens should get mentioned too and Bob Petite....Wilt would have dominated Shaq in my opinion. KJ had a 43" vertical but in 10 years I only saw him dunk once. Amare was as dominant a PF as I've ever seen for a couple years early on. Can't leave out Elgin Baylor or Karl Malone...he'd be my PF on a all-everything team. And of course Barkley was really only 6'4" yet rebounded with 7-footers.

Can ya tell I'm an "oldie"? :D

Cousy would hold his own today....UTube him dribbling out the last minute of a close game sometime....nobody could dribble like Cousy (or pass...he had amazing quickness)....he would have trouble shooting now because he had no jumper and his set shot started in front of his forehead and would get blocked nowadays...Lenny Wilkens should get mentioned too and Bob Petite....Wilt would have dominated Shaq in my opinion. KJ had a 43" vertical but in 10 years I only saw him dunk once. Amare was as dominant a PF as I've ever seen for a couple years early on. Can't leave out Elgin Baylor or Karl Malone...he'd be my PF on a all-everything team. And of course Barkley was really only 6'4" yet rebounded with 7-footers.

I think Cousy would hold his own, but not better than the top 5 I listed. Didn't Russel mess up Wilt? Russel at 6'9 handled Wilt. I remember watching Shaq play again Mutombo in the Finals. Mutombo is one of the best (if not the best) defensive center in the game's history and Shaq walked all over him.

I think Cousy would hold his own, but not better than the top 5 I listed. Didn't Russel mess up Wilt? Russel at 6'9 handled Wilt. I remember watching Shaq play again Mutombo in the Finals. Mutombo is one of the best (if not the best) defensive center in the game's history and Shaq walked all over him.

Shaq was better than Dikembe all day every day but to be fair Mutombo was old when the Sixers played Shaq and the Lakers in the finals.

Hard to compare generations in any sport because of the improved conditioning, diet, travel, hotels, money......I remember several Detroit Tigers had other jobs in the offseason back in the late 50's selling cars, insurance, etc. As to Bill Russell, he made Wilt put the ball on the floor so another Celt could slap away at it.....Wilt got his dunks but few tip-in's or put-backs and they fouled him constantly like they did Shaq. Of course the NBA was still half white guys when those I mentioned played...Hell, the Suns starting 5 in 1976 was Westphal, Don Buse, Alvan Adams, Dick VanArsdale, and Gar Heard.....4 whites....none known for blinding speed or able to jump outta the gym. I believe the Pistons Bad Boys teams could have handled the Miami Heat the last couple years.....late 80's, early 90's were the transition time for the NBA....before that the play was a lot rougher and fights were almost common. :doubt:

Shaq was better than Dikembe all day every day but to be fair Mutombo was old when the Sixers played Shaq and the Lakers in the finals.

Of course Shaq was better all around, but defensively Mutombo had him beat. When Phil met the Lakers in the finals, Mutombo was still at the top of his game, yet he was unable to stop Shaq. Mutombo was one of the best defenseman in NBA history and could do squat against Shaq.

Hard to compare generations in any sport because of the improved conditioning, diet, travel, hotels, money......I remember several Detroit Tigers had other jobs in the offseason back in the late 50's selling cars, insurance, etc. As to Bill Russell, he made Wilt put the ball on the floor so another Celt could slap away at it.....Wilt got his dunks but few tip-in's or put-backs and they fouled him constantly like they did Shaq. Of course the NBA was still half white guys when those I mentioned played...Hell, the Suns starting 5 in 1976 was Westphal, Don Buse, Alvan Adams, Dick VanArsdale, and Gar Heard.....4 whites....none known for blinding speed or able to jump outta the gym. I believe the Pistons Bad Boys teams could have handled the Miami Heat the last couple years.....late 80's, early 90's were the transition time for the NBA....before that the play was a lot rougher and fights were almost common. :doubt:

That was before my time. I started to notice basketball when I was 10 (1988), by then most teams consisted of most black players. The bad boys were tough, but the Chicago bullz took them down. They were very similar to this current Miami team. Superstar wing duel of MJ and Pippen compared to Wade-MBJ. A good PF in Grant and Rodman (Rodman was superstar defender though) and in Bosh (although I think Bosh is much better than he gets credit for, he has to sacrifice some of his game for Wade and LBJ). Mediocre PG and Center. The Bullz had weak bench, while Miami didn't. Allen, Miller, Lewis, Battier, Haslem.

Hard to compare generations in any sport because of the improved conditioning, diet, travel, hotels, money......I remember several Detroit Tigers had other jobs in the offseason back in the late 50's selling cars, insurance, etc. As to Bill Russell, he made Wilt put the ball on the floor so another Celt could slap away at it.....Wilt got his dunks but few tip-in's or put-backs and they fouled him constantly like they did Shaq.
When I first started following the Lakers, their stars were Jerry and Elgin and they a white center named Daryl Imoff, which they traded to get my favorite player of all-time, the Big Dipper, to whom you have just dis-respected. The clashes between Wilt and Russell can fall into 3 catagories:
  1. the times when Wilt beat Russell
  2. the times when Russell beat Wilt
  3. the times when Wilt dominated Russell and made him look like a baby
Chamberlain was the strongest player the NBA has ever seen and he would throw Shaq around like a rag doll. Someone asked me one time who Wilt was and I said, "Shaq with talent!"

Of course the NBA was still half white guys when those I mentioned played...Hell, the Suns starting 5 in 1976 was Westphal, Don Buse, Alvan Adams, Dick VanArsdale, and Gar Heard.....4 whites....none known for blinding speed or able to jump outta the gym. I believe the Pistons Bad Boys teams could have handled the Miami Heat the last couple years.....late 80's, early 90's were the transition time for the NBA....before that the play was a lot rougher and fights were almost common. :doubt:
WTF are you talking about? Buse had a 40" vertical. Westphal could shoot the lights out ever since he was a Trojan. VanArsdale, well, he wasn't as good as Tom and Gar Heard always had his headband. BTW, it was a white headband, so you can say their started 5 white foreheads.

Do you remember the 1970 all-star game where Tom and Dick were both playing (one for the East and one for the West) and they switched jersey's at halftime and nobody knew it until they told someone after the game?

PG:
Magic,
Big O,
Stockton,
Thomas
The Glove
(The oldies will say Cousy, but he lived in a different era and won't be as good today. Kidd didn't shoot well enough; Nash D blew; Frazier is the best argument, I just think the rest on the list are better)

SG:
MJ,
Kobe,
West,
Drexler
R. Miller
(I will take slack fro leaving off Earl the Pearl and Gervin - but I think Drexler and R. Miller were better and played against better talent - I went back and forth - tough call).

SF:
LBJ
Bird
Pippen
Dr. J
D. Wilkens
(Oldies will love Havlick -would be middle of the road at best today- Baylor and Worthy. The top 4 aren't controversial, but Wilkens is. Was my fav as a kid so I might be biased!)

PF:
Malone
Barkley
KG
Notwinzki
(I will take slack for Notwinzki over Hayes and McHale, but Notwinzki was one of the best shooters in NBA history and did things no PF has done before or since)

C:
Shaq
The Dream
Kareem
Wilt
Russel
(I will take slack for putting Shaq at the top, but he was the most dominate force the game has ever seen. His only weakness was a weakness of most center - free throws. Russel was great, but I don't think he would be a center in today's game. He would be a PF.)
PG:
Magic
Big O
Frazier
Archibald
Thomas

SG:
Kobe
West
Andrew Toney
MJ
Gail Goodrich

SF:
Baylor
Dr. J
Rick Barry
Bird
LeBron

PF:
Duncan
Malone
Jerry Lucas
Wes Unseld
Barkley

C:
Wilt
Russell
Alcindor
Nate Thurmond
Malone

Last edited:
Hard to compare generations in any sport because of the improved conditioning, diet, travel, hotels, money......I remember several Detroit Tigers had other jobs in the offseason back in the late 50's selling cars, insurance, etc. As to Bill Russell, he made Wilt put the ball on the floor so another Celt could slap away at it.....Wilt got his dunks but few tip-in's or put-backs and they fouled him constantly like they did Shaq.
When I first started following the Lakers, their stars were Jerry and Elgin and they a white center named Daryl Imoff, which they traded to get my favorite player of all-time, the Big Dipper, to whom you have just dis-respected. The clashes between Wilt and Russell can fall into 3 catagories:
  1. the times when Wilt beat Russell
  2. the times when Russell beat Wilt
  3. the times when Wilt dominated Russell and made him look like a baby
Chamberlain was the strongest player the NBA has ever seen and he would throw Shaq around like a rag doll. Someone asked me one time who Wilt was and I said, "Shaq with talent!"

Wow you highly underestimate Shaq! Shaq, as was Wilt, was a beat with a TON of talent. The only thing lacking in his game (like most centers) was his free throw shooting. You could put Wilt at the top and you wouldn't hear and argument from me, but I think Shaq is the best and I am no Shaq fan!

Love my suns. Been a fan since Connie "The Hawk' Hawkins

My first SUNS game was in late '75....my brother wanted me to see Rick Barry play when he was at Golden State. I'll never forget the next season when Alvan Adams was a rookie. I saw him once down by the Biltmore when I was on a bike ride....cat looked like Frankenstein up close. :lol: I also later did some business with Gar Heard when he had the video game room down by the Thomas Mall. Westphal was an assassin and Buse led the league in steals and assists one year. What a season that was....37 years later I remember it like yesterday.

? Buse had a 40" vertical. Westphal could shoot the lights out ever since he was a Trojan. VanArsdale, well, he wasn't as good as Tom and Gar Heard always had his headband. BTW, it was a white headband, so you can say their started 5 white foreheads.

Do you remember the 1970 all-star game where Tom and Dick were both playing (one for the East and one for the West) and they switched jersey's at halftime and nobody knew it until they told someone after the game?

Don Buse had a 40" vertical?....... :lol: Buse couldn't jump high enough to see light under his feet......Dick and Tom VanD had almost identical stats but Dick was the STAR and Dick was just a good player. BTW....I didn't "dis-respect" Wilt...what I did was tell you what I saw with my own eyes.....compare who got the RINGS in those years and it's clear Russell was the master of that domain. :eusa_eh:

PG:
Magic,
Big O,
Stockton,
Thomas
The Glove

SG:
MJ,
Kobe,
West,
Drexler
R. Miller

SF:
LBJ
Bird
Pippen
Dr. J
D. Wilkens

PF:
Malone
Barkley
KG
Notwinzki

C:
Shaq
The Dream
Kareem
Wilt
Russel
PG:
Magic
Big O
Frazier
Archibald
Thomas

SG:
Kobe
West
Andrew Toney
MJ
Gail Goodrich

SF:
Baylor
Dr. J
Rick Barry
Bird
LeBron

PF:
Duncan
Malone
Jerry Lucas
Wes Unseld
Barkley

C:
Wilt
Russell
Alcindor
Nate Thurmond
Malone

Too bad you are banned, you deserve an neg for listing MJ 4th Toney, serious. Then leaving off Pippen, Stockton, Shaq, Hakeem and listing LBJ 4th, seriously WTF?

Forum List

Back