Nasa just got $125 million to develop nuclear rockets

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
NASA just got $125 million to develop nuclear rockets
For the first time since the 1970s, NASA is developing nuclear propulsion systems for its spacecraft.

NASA didn’t request any money for a nuclear propulsion program, but it will get $125 million for the research as part of the space agency’s $22.3 billion budget that Congress approved last week, Space.com reports. If the program succeeds, nuclear propulsion could significantly cut down on travel time during missions to Mars and beyond

Well when a certain place puts out juicy news i'm going to share it! Nuclear rockets we can be sure that will go over like a ton of bricks lol..

Nuclear rockets we can be sure that will go over like a ton of bricks lol..
Hopefully they build and test them on the Moon.

Actually, I think that they would more than likely build them in orbit, as it would be a lot cheaper than the moon.

Would be interesting to see how they would work though.

Actually, I think that they would more than likely build them in orbit, as it would be a lot cheaper than the moon.

Would be interesting to see how they would work though.
I have seen drawings of the ones they had planned when Carl SAgan MCed Cosmos but nothing since.

Long range space flight for humans is a very long way off at our current velocity...

Well, considering that it took Voyager 1 and 2 until late 2018 to make it out of the heliosphere, yeah, long range flight at our current speeds is still a distant dream.

NASA's Voyager 2 Probe Enters Interstellar Space – NASA Solar System Exploration

Voyager 2 was launched on Aug 20th, 1977. That means it took us 42 years just to reach interstellar space. That is just getting out of our own solar system. Galactic travel is much longer.

Long range space flight for humans is a very long way off at our current velocity...

Well, considering that it took Voyager 1 and 2 until late 2018 to make it out of the heliosphere, yeah, long range flight at our current speeds is still a distant dream.

NASA's Voyager 2 Probe Enters Interstellar Space – NASA Solar System Exploration
I was really young when I watched it blast off I wonder if the ship is younger than us after spaceflight?

I was really young when I watched it blast off I wonder if the ship is younger than us after spaceflight?

Dunno. Time and gravity have some really strange relationships, and if they are outside of our solar system (beyond the Oort Cloud), then there is little to no gravity, and there is no way of knowing how time is currently passing for Voyager.

Dunno. Time and gravity have some really strange relationships, and if they are outside of our solar system (beyond the Oort Cloud), then there is little to no gravity, and there is no way of knowing how time is currently passing for Voyager.
Too bad they don't have a way to measure with a new ship.

Too bad they don't have a way to measure with a new ship.

You know, even with the communication lag, if they had thought back then to put a clock on the craft, and synched it up with one here on Earth, they could have been able to measure what Voyager "thought" the date and time was, and compare it with what we had here on Earth with the synched up clock.

That could prove to be interesting.

Maybe NASA should put in a call to little rocket man.

Really? For what? I know you are trying to be "funny", but humor only works when a part of it is true. Un doesn't have the capability to do anything other than launch ICBM's, and even then, it's still questionable as to whether or not they will hit their targets.

Because he's been launching nuclear rockets for a long time LOL Just ask Japan they see them fly over almost daily like airliners.

Forum List

Back