My Step Mother-in-Law Thinks that My Son is Having a Break with Reality

So tell her firmly but nicely exactly why you believe she is mistaken .
Thank her for her interest and input and tell her that you will be monitoring very closely .
But , of course , do absolutely nothing if you feel - as you apparently do -- that she is clueless .
Re-educate a Democrat? Like teaching a pig to sing. No thanks.
Hopefully it will not be too long before we can truthfully and scientifically show that certain personality types suffer from neurological imbalances brought on by attempted and actual attempts at mind entrainment and control .
This could at some future point involve treatments for more extreme individuals but hopefully a return to balance and full sanity will be achieved by education and example .
Or we could just leave people be and let them each have their own opinions.
However , I fear you /we need a major clear out of the rotten material very quickly before the Mutants ( as I call them ) are allowed to spread their problems to others , and particularly children .
Here it looks like Madteeth is ripe for experimentation .

That's a good one, I'll give you that.

Hard to believe now that Virginia gave the nation so many fine patriots in the early days . . .

We were the Colonial Era California and used to be a lot bigger than we are now that WV divorced us. Politically, where you live matters greatly to your politics. Like the country, we have people who are bat-shit crazy partisans on both sides of the aisle. Unfortunately the Jeffersonian democracy style state government model plus those extremists are combining to bring us even closer to gridlock. Everything is being weaponized in Richmond so much isn't getting done. For instance we have had a judge vacancy going on over a year and that used to take just a couple months to fill and have been told not to expect it to be filled until sometime late next year because judicial appointments are now hostages in the unrelated budget fights.

She's my wife's father's third wife, but she's been married to him for almost twenty years now, so she is accepted as family, pretty much. By all but my wife's father's first wife anyway.

So, she calls my wife and tells her that she is concerned about my second son's posts on Facebook. She said that they are very dark and delusional.

I took a look, and it turned out that the posts are primarily about how the government doesn't have the best interests of the people at heart, how both parties are essentially the same, etc. Standard libertarian stuff.

But Step MIL and the rest of my wife's family live in Virginia. No doubt they only watch legacy media. They likely have no idea that there is any other source of information available, regarding Foxnews or any other non-liberal outlet to be nothing but lies and disinformation.

So she honestly believes that disagreement with the dogma indicates a mental illness. This about a family member. It isn't the standard "you're delusional" insult we might hurl at each other here. It's actual concern. People can be convinced that disagreement with government is not normal, even if it is family and friends disagreeing.

The next step will be rounding dissenters up for "mental health care" in a facility of confinement until the person has completed their re-education.
The govt bus will stop for you at 2pm. Pack your bag.

... How about my Mother N Law is concerned my son is Mental because she is a brainwashed leftist ...

How about you are an extremist idiot who thinks everything has to do with politics - and this destroys your son and your family, male superasshole? Such a problem you are not able to solve in the virtual fake-reality here. Reality is outside of all brains and not inside. We know nothing about your family. You are the only expert for your own family here. Be happy when your wife not fires you. Who for heavens sake needs an idiot like you in the own family? If someone loves you then be happy and do what this love tells you to do - and not what any strange idiot here "thinks".

Last edited:
So she honestly believes that disagreement with the dogma indicates a mental illness. This about a family member. It isn't the standard "you're delusional" insult we might hurl at each other here. It's actual concern. People can be convinced that disagreement with government is not normal, even if it is family and friends disagreeing.

The next step will be rounding dissenters up for "mental health care" in a facility of confinement until the person has completed their re-education.
And this is exactly why I spend so much time and energy observing this stuff, particularly here on USMB, where it's all in one place.

What's happening to this country is NOT POLITICAL. It's sociological, cultural. It's seeping deeper and deeper every day, decreasing the chances we can fully turn it around.

Do you have even the faintest clue what a frothing at the mouth, brain damaged cultist you sound like?
That's one seriously triggered pout-stalker. Time for me to carve another notch in my fascist-smacking stick. That stick is falling apart, it's got so many notches in it.

Now, more sore-loser tears, please. Mmmmmm. So delicious. They nourish the souls of patriots.

Libertarianism used to be a sensible theory, back 30 years ago when it focused on legaliziing drugs and prostitution. Now it's just Trumpism-lite, full of talk of how rich white males are the natural masters of the universe, and how God wants them to end liberty for everyone else. You never see a poor person or nonwhite person or woman extolling the glories of libertarianism. It's just a spoiled white boy philosophy.

How about you are an extremist idiot who thinks everything has to do with politics - and this destroys your son and your family, male superasshole? Such a problem you are not able to solve in the virtual fake-reality here. Reality is outside of all brains and not inside. We know nothing about your family. You are the only expert for your own family here. Be happy when your wife not fires you. Who for heavens sake needs an idiot like you in the own family? If someone loves you then be happy and do what this love tells you to do - and not what any strange idiot here "thinks".
I was commenting on the op family. Drrrr But seems I hit a raw nerve with you. Want some salt. Lol

So this woman is getting fact based journalism, fact checked and based on reality, and your son is being radicalized online by people who's primary goal is the destruction of the American government, leading him to be that he's just as ill-informed, and brainwashed as you are.

The GOP are selling a form of mental illness, called "radicalization". Anger and violence and lies.
There's a LOT of uninformed assumption going on in that one. IOW, stop reading the headlines from the echo chamber in the fever swamp.

She's my wife's father's third wife, but she's been married to him for almost twenty years now, so she is accepted as family, pretty much. By all but my wife's father's first wife anyway.

So, she calls my wife and tells her that she is concerned about my second son's posts on Facebook. She said that they are very dark and delusional.

I took a look, and it turned out that the posts are primarily about how the government doesn't have the best interests of the people at heart, how both parties are essentially the same, etc. Standard libertarian stuff.

But Step MIL and the rest of my wife's family live in Virginia. No doubt they only watch legacy media. They likely have no idea that there is any other source of information available, regarding Foxnews or any other non-liberal outlet to be nothing but lies and disinformation.

Nothing wrong with a person stating a concern, especially family. It's when you check, say it's OK and they continue to push that it's a mental issue that you will have a problem.

The speaking up isn't the issue usually, it's the accepting the answer you don't expect part that becomes the problem.

There's a LOT of uninformed assumption going on in that one. IOW, stop reading the headlines from the echo chamber in the fever swamp.
This is the truth. "The GOP are selling a form of mental illness, called "radicalization". Anger and violence and lies."

Stop puffing on the MAGA bong.

This is the truth. "The GOP are selling a form of mental illness, called "radicalization". Anger and violence and lies."

Stop puffing on the MAGA bong.
Let me see if I've seen this before. Yup, thought so, from about 10 years old, the argument that there is something wrong with anyone who disagrees. It wasn't credible on the playground and it's not now.

Forum List

Back