My safety or yours? Why we should begin to take risks to save our economy

What no one will tell you is that an economy full of fear and uncertainty is going to crash anyway.

If governmental controls were not in place, it would absolutely crash. Since they are in place, it may not. What isn't understood by many is that if you opened the movie theaters tomorrow with no covid-19 mitigation actions in place, you would have a theater that is 80% empty for a while. People want assurances that they will be safe. Its as simple as that.

What no one will tell you is that an economy full of fear and uncertainty is going to crash anyway.
The economy doesn't have to crash. Americans need to get over their fear. It's like war, we need to accept that some people are going to die. Most of those are older and are near death anyway.
BLS Statistics show that within 10 years 65% of all small businesses fail:

1590200438877.png

I've read that it was as high as 90%. Odd choice to risk your life to support a business that was going to die anyway.

Actually, if you think about it, we ARE taking risks. We’re taking an enormous risk not doing proper testing and contact tracing.

when part of America is suffering, all of America will suffer.

And we’re about to see the Midwest, the deep South, and Appalachia get hit with a prairie fire we never imagined. And all of that could’ve been avoided with proper testing and contact tracing. But I’m pretty sure that’s a little too late now.

View attachment 339601
A big prairie is going to hit rural America?

and the ability to contact-tracing is still not in place.

Oh? And the threat to personal privacy is of no concern to you whatsoever?

If you're going to reopen, in a way that makes sense from both an economic and public health perspective (and both should matter right?) - then don't you think contact tracing is important?

and the ability to contact-tracing is still not in place.

Oh? And the threat to personal privacy is of no concern to you whatsoever?

If you're going to reopen, in a way that makes sense from both an economic and public health perspective (and both should matter right?) - then don't you think contact tracing is important?

It's the abuse of that power which bothers me.

How? It's a common method to use in controlling infectious disease. You try to think of anyone you might have come in contact with so they can be notified.

"90,000 Americans have died. 33 million out of work. Yet President Trump can’t see past his vendetta against President Obama—like Captain Ahab, unable to look past his white whale as the ship is smashed to splinters around him. He has never been able to put the country first. " -Vivacious Val Demings, a former cop who is on the shortlist to be Biden's VP!

You have a bunch of liberals that would rather stay home and wait for a government check than go to work to support their families. They need to butch up and get out of their houses and go back to work

You try to think of anyone you might have come in contact with so they can be notified.

And what if you misidentify someone? It could be anyone you pass on the street, or sit near at a restaurant or concert. You have no idea who you'll be around.

Moreover, someone can just as easily lie about it. About you. Say you have corona when you don't. Could say you hid it and broke quarantine. What if you were a business owner and a disgruntled customer or employee decides to say you have it? You and your business could be shut down. It is something that can be used as a weapon, not just as a tool to contain a contagion.

Last edited:
"90,000 Americans have died. 33 million out of work. Yet President Trump can’t see past his vendetta against President Obama—like Captain Ahab, unable to look past his white whale as the ship is smashed to splinters around him. He has never been able to put the country first. " -Vivacious Val Demings, a former cop who is on the shortlist to be Biden's VP!

Nevermind liberals have been on a neverending crusade to take down the president (and looking past every important issue in the process) for the past 3 1/2 years. This guy can't be serious.

You try to think of anyone you might have come in contact with so they can be notified.

And what if you misidentify someone? It could be anyone you pass on the street, or sit near at a restaurant or concert. You have no idea who you'll be around.

Moreover, someone can just as easily lie about it. About you. Say you have corona when you don't. Could say you hid it and broke quarantine. It is something that can be used as a weapon, not just as a tool to contain a contagion.

On the first part, that's true, but nothing is perfect. It's better than nothing isn't it?

On the second part...I'm not sure I understand how it relates to contact tracing. People can always maliciously lie...whether it's Covid, or HIV or anything. But I don't see what that has to do with contact tracing.

For some odd reason contact tracing seems to have assumed an almost "anti-government" reputation.

On the second part...I'm not sure I understand how it relates to contact tracing. People can always maliciously lie...whether it's Covid, or HIV or anything. But I don't see what that has to do with contact tracing.

"Contact" tracing.

"I saw him coughing and sneezing around other people! And he wasn't social distancing!"

It easy. Just as easy as me making that quote up to you now.

For some odd reason contact tracing seems to have assumed an almost "anti-government" reputation.

Because any attempt by government to surveil you is seen as intrusive. The government has demonstrated in many ways how it can abuse surveillance. It can easily demonstrate how little it can be trusted to use it for its intended purpose.

Because any attempt by government to surveil you is seen as intrusive. The government has demonstrated in many ways how it can abuse surveillance. It can easily demonstrate how little it can be trusted to use it for its intended purpose.

So what alternatives to contact tracing would you suggest if you want to reopen the economy but still maintain public health?

So what alternatives to contact tracing would you suggest if you want to reopen the economy but still maintain public health?
Easy. Make testing readily available. Test for active virus or viral antibodies. Make it mandatory for anyone doing business here, make it a requirement for naturalization. Use existing thermal reading technology to measure the temperature of everyone. That alongside wearing a mask and social distancing where feasible.

Easy. Make testing readily available. Test for active virus or viral antibodies. Make it mandatory for anyone doing business here, make it a requirement for naturalization. Use existing thermal reading technology to measure the temperature of everyone. That alongside wearing a mask and social distancing where feasible.

So...it is overly invasive to contact trace but not to use technology to measure everyone’s temp? Some of what you say makes sense, but going high tech is invasive and expensive.

Maybe they should have made better choices in careers. These fine Americans should use the time off to pursue new lines of work that are considered essential during a pandemic.

Personal responsibility is the key to happiness.

What a heartless response. Maybe if they had powers of clairvoyance like you, maybe they would have chosen a profession that wouldn't have been affected by this virus.

This "essential" and "non-essential" stuff is garbage. For a Mother and Father of say two kids, that mother and father are essential to their children and their survival. You can't simply pick and choose what job you want, you have to take what's available or live on the streets and perish.

But yeah, I hear you. You would rather them starve.

Oh! Gee. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Thanks for giving me a different perspective.

Gee. Keep showing how little you care.

No. Really. I now understand that people sometimes find themselves in situations that they cannot control. Their status in life at birth has a great impact on what their status will be later in life. We cannot expect people to overcome every obstacle to become impervious to the effects of things like pandemics.

You helped me see this. Thanks.
Where you end usually depends on where you start.

In some instances, but not always. Life isn’t fair. There are people who been have born into opportunities, people who have not been. People are born with gifts, others not so much. There are people that are more capable than others. Part of being able to work hard is an inherent gift as well, I personally believe.The scales are tipped towards the fortunate to a large degree, but throughout history having the government become the equalizer hasn’t worked out well.Capitalism, while not perfect, has been the catalyst for taking people out of poverty and propelling societies.

If governmental controls were not in place, it would absolutely crash. Since they are in place, it may not. What isn't understood by many is that if you opened the movie theaters tomorrow with no covid-19 mitigation actions in place, you would have a theater that is 80% empty for a while. People want assurances that they will be safe. Its as simple as that.

Case in point - Sweden. Consumers aren’t going to ignore the virus because they’re told go back to normal

So...it is overly invasive to contact trace but not to use technology to measure everyone’s temp?

What's invasive about taking your temperature? We have cameras that can read body heat. We can place them in the entrances to establishments and popular thoroughfares. Make the law so that you can only use the temperature data to isolate possible cases of COVID-19. Not for any other reason. Any misuse of that footage could result in severe civil and federal penalties.

Forum List

Back