My safety or yours? Why we should begin to take risks to save our economy

Maybe they should have made better choices in careers. These fine Americans should use the time off to pursue new lines of work that are considered essential during a pandemic.

Personal responsibility is the key to happiness.

What a heartless response. Maybe if they had powers of clairvoyance like you, maybe they would have chosen a profession that wouldn't have been affected by this virus.

This "essential" and "non-essential" stuff is garbage. For a Mother and Father of say two kids, that mother and father are essential to their children and their survival. You can't simply pick and choose what job you want, you have to take what's available or live on the streets and perish.

But yeah, I hear you. You would rather them starve.

Oh! Gee. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Thanks for giving me a different perspective.

Gee. Keep showing how little you care.

No. Really. I now understand that people sometimes find themselves in situations that they cannot control. Their status in life at birth has a great impact on what their status will be later in life. We cannot expect people to overcome every obstacle to become impervious to the effects of things like pandemics.

You helped me see this. Thanks.

I saw a poll today that says that a majority of people would rather hurt the economy to contain the spread of the virus rather than opening it up now.

Fine. If you want to put people out of work and sacrifice their own safety to sate your own overexaggerated fear, so be it. I'm guessing some people wouldn't open this economy until not even a strand of RNA remained of this virus. Or in essence, never.

At what point does the strain on our economy because of these lockdowns become so great that it can't be ignored anymore? What will it take for some people to understand that some of the damage this is doing to the economy will be permanent?

Where is the tipping point? At what point do we start going out and taking risks instead of sacrificing the financial futures of millions of American citizens for your own safety?

Of course, you all want safety. I want safety too. But what about those whose safety relies on their jobs and income and not simply on staying home wearing masks and social distancing?

Will you be able to explain to them why they had to make the sacrifice but not you?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Nov. 11, 1755
The kind of weakness and selfishness you promote will never lead to defeating the crisis we are in.

You can't simply pick and choose what job you want

Actually, you really can... If you're not qualified for the job you want, well ... that's on you.

I didn't need a degree to be a bagger and a stocker at the local grocery store. Nor did I need one to be a janitor at the University. The training was provided. Those jobs did not require any previous experience. Or any previous qualifications.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

How did I agree with you? I didn't want either job. I was naive and wanted something I liked. Until I was given no choice. I took what was available. Meaning I speak from experience.

I saw a poll today that says that a majority of people would rather hurt the economy to contain the spread of the virus rather than opening it up now.

Fine. If you want to put people out of work and sacrifice their own safety to sate your own overexaggerated fear, so be it. I'm guessing some people wouldn't open this economy until not even a strand of RNA remained of this virus. Or in essence, never.

At what point does the strain on our economy because of these lockdowns become so great that it can't be ignored anymore? What will it take for some people to understand that some of the damage this is doing to the economy will be permanent?

Where is the tipping point? At what point do we start going out and taking risks instead of sacrificing the financial futures of millions of American citizens for your own safety?

Of course, you all want safety. I want safety too. But what about those whose safety relies on their jobs and income and not simply on staying home wearing masks and social distancing?

Will you be able to explain to them why they had to make the sacrifice but not you?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Nov. 11, 1755
The kind of weakness and selfishness you promote will never lead to defeating the crisis we are in.

Demonstrate my weakness and selfishness. Out with it.

All I see in people like you is uncontrollable fear and paranoia.

You can't simply pick and choose what job you want

Actually, you really can... If you're not qualified for the job you want, well ... that's on you.

I didn't need a degree to be a bagger and a stocker at the local grocery store. Nor did I need one to be a janitor at the University. The training was provided. Those jobs did not require any previous experience. Or any previous qualifications.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

How did I agree with you? I didn't want either job. I was naive and wanted something I liked. Until I was given no choice. I took what was available. Meaning I speak from experience.

You took what's available to YOU. You made choices about what job YOU wanted to train for.

They guy who works 80 hours a week as a neurosurgeon, he trained for the job HE wanted.

You demonstrate your weakness and selfishness in your OP.

What no one will tell you is that an economy full of fear and uncertainty is going to crash anyway.

Where?

Where?
You are to weak too hold the perimeter and hold your position.

You took what's available to YOU. You made choices about what job YOU wanted to train for.

And the thing is, training was optional. We (I) learned from my cohorts, not my supervisors. It was hit or miss on whether I would be taught how to do the job in the first place.

I didn't go about complaining about not getting my dream job. There are people out there that just want a job, a means of sustenance. Not some cushy job with all the perks imaginable. To a great deal many people, working is mandatory, not optional.

Last edited:

Where?
You are to weak too hold the perimeter and hold your position.

What does that even mean?

Maybe they should have made better choices in careers. These fine Americans should use the time off to pursue new lines of work that are considered essential during a pandemic.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So you must think that everyone can remain employed during this pandemic if they had planned correctly or utilized their time to gain experience necessary? Damn. I didn't know that we could just employ everyone in the nation in an essential job.

Not very well thought out, eh?

What no one will tell you is that an economy full of fear and uncertainty is going to crash anyway.

Really?

So, which is a more overriding fear? Catching a virus with a 95% survival rate? Or the fear of losing the means to sustain yourself?
You must think everyone is worried about one or the other rather than both. You see, for some, money and lives are important.

You must think everyone is worried about one or the other rather than both. You see, for some, money and lives are important.

So if you don't have money to pay for food, for clothes, for housing, for utilities... how long will you survive living in poverty?

Did it ever occur to you that people could die from that? Of course money and lives matter. Because without money some people would not be able to live. Literally.

I might as well be beating my chest and hysterically declaring that no one should drive because they might possibly injure me so it’s on them to preemptively take care of that and not drive

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So you must think that everyone can remain employed during this pandemic if they had planned correctly or utilized their time to gain experience necessary? Damn. I didn't know that we could just employ everyone in the nation in an essential job.

Not very well thought out, eh?

My goodness! No need to insult my intelligence. I’m really trying to learn. Maybe you can help.

Forum List

Back