My safety or yours? Why we should begin to take risks to save our economy

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
I saw a poll today that says that a majority of people would rather hurt the economy to contain the spread of the virus rather than opening it up now.

Fine. If you want to put people out of work and sacrifice their own safety to sate your own overexaggerated fear, so be it. I'm guessing some people wouldn't open this economy until not even a strand of RNA remained of this virus. Or in essence, never.

At what point does the strain on our economy because of these lockdowns become so great that it can't be ignored anymore? What will it take for some people to understand that some of the damage this is doing to the economy will be permanent?

Where is the tipping point? At what point do we start going out and taking risks instead of sacrificing the financial futures of millions of American citizens for your own safety?

Of course, you all want safety. I want safety too. But what about those whose safety relies on their jobs and income and not simply on staying home wearing masks and social distancing?

Will you be able to explain to them why they had to make the sacrifice but not you?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Nov. 11, 1755

First, we get enough tests to give them to everyone so we can figure out who has antibodies, who is infected, who is infected by asymptomatic, and those who have the antibodies.

Once you've identified all that, then you have a game plan to start with and figure things out. Until then? Just shooting at shadows in the dark.

If I catch this thing? First thing I'm gonna ask the hospital for is plasma treatment, as that one shows some of the most promise currently.

Until we have an effective treatment and vaccine, this will continue to be a problem.

Maybe they should have made better choices in careers. These fine Americans should use the time off to pursue new lines of work that are considered essential during a pandemic.

Personal responsibility is the key to happiness.

If I catch this thing? First thing I'm gonna ask the hospital for is plasma treatment, as that one shows some of the most promise currently.

What if I were to tell you that the US Government awarded $1 billion in grants to Oxford and AstraZeneca to have a vaccine pass trials and be ready with 200 million doses by October?

Would that assuage your concerns?

I have read that it has passed Phase I trials, by producing an antibody response to the virus. This would be a colossal step forward.

I saw a poll today that says that a majority of people would rather hurt the economy to contain the spread of the virus rather than opening it up now.

Fine. If you want to put people out of work and sacrifice their own safety to sate your own overexaggerated fear, so be it. I'm guessing some people wouldn't open this economy until not even a strand of RNA remained of this virus. Or in essence, never.

At what point does the strain on our economy because of these lockdowns become so great that it can't be ignored anymore? What will it take for some people to understand that some of the damage this is doing to the economy will be permanent?

Where is the tipping point? At what point do we start going out and taking risks instead of sacrificing the financial futures of millions of American citizens for your own safety?

Of course, you all want safety. I want safety too. But what about those whose safety relies on their jobs and income and not simply on staying home wearing masks and social distancing?

Will you be able to explain to them why they had to make the sacrifice but not you?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Nov. 11, 1755

Did they take a poll to find out, "Would you do the right thing by wearing a mask, social distancing, cleanliness, donating to worthy causes" to protect and respect the rights and safety of your fellow human being??
No?? Didn't think so. Cause that would be the key to being able to open up our economy again...but...people...can't see the forest for the (right wing) trees.

Maybe they should have made better choices in careers. These fine Americans should use the time off to pursue new lines of work that are considered essential during a pandemic.

What a heartless response. Maybe if they had powers of clairvoyance like you, maybe they would have chosen a profession that wouldn't have been affected by this virus.

This "essential" and "non-essential" stuff is garbage. For a Mother and Father of say two kids, that mother and father are essential to their children and their survival. You can't simply pick and choose what job you want, you have to take what's available or live on the streets and perish.

But yeah, I hear you. You would rather them starve.

Last edited:

The fact is that most states that are re-opening have not even met the CDC guidelines. Testing is still scarce and the ability to contact-tracing is still not in place. These liabilities prevent us from stopping outbreaks. The coronavirus is seeping into exurbs and rural areas of this country.

Quoting Franklin is a fraud. We have no idea of what he would say about this. He may consider this a extraordinary circumstance and say something else.

Testing is still scarce

Stop.

Per the link below, 12,917,827 tests have been performed. Which suggests that scarcity is not an issue.

Last edited:

The fact is that most states that are re-opening have not even met the CDC guidelines. Testing is still scarce and the ability to contact-tracing is still not in place. These liabilities prevent us from stopping outbreaks. The coronavirus is seeping into exurbs and rural areas of this country.

Quoting Franklin is a fraud. We have no idea of what he would say about this. He may consider this an extraordinary circumstance and say something else.

As for the entirety of this post...

Go ahead. Turn an overabundance of caution into absolute overkill. At that pace, we would never open this economy again.

Didn't think so. Cause that would be the key to being able to open up our economy again...but...people...can't see the forest for the (right wing) trees.

Don't you think that would work both ways? So focused on containing the virus that we completely disregard the economic devastation such containment is causing?

What a heartless response. Maybe if they had powers of clairvoyance like you, maybe they would have chosen a profession that wouldn't have been affected by this virus.

This "essential" and "non-essential" stuff is garbage. For a Mother and Father of say two kids, that mother and father are essential to their children and their survival. You can't simply pick and choose what job you want, you have to take what's available or live on the streets and perish.

Oh! Gee. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Thanks for giving me a different perspective.

Did they take a poll to find out, "Would you do the right thing by wearing a mask, social distancing, cleanliness, donating to worthy causes" to protect and respect the rights and safety of your fellow human being??

What do you think they will do? Let's hear it from a personal perspective.

I think I made that clear. Just replace "Would you" with..."Won't"..
I can see this just by going out to my local stores..and seeing the covidiots who may as well just wear MAGA hats or masks (still laugh about Trump being that close to their mouth) and advertise...I dumb...:)

Oh! Gee. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Thanks for giving me a different perspective.

Gee. Keep showing how little you care.

You can't simply pick and choose what job you want

Actually, you really can... If you're not qualified for the job you want, well ... that's on you.

I didn't need a degree to be a bagger and a stocker at the local grocery store. Nor did I need one to be a janitor at the University. The training was provided. Those jobs did not require any previous experience. Or any previous qualifications.

Of course they would because the dumbass democrats in the house passed a bill that would give the queens $6K this go around.

You can't simply pick and choose what job you want

Actually, you really can... If you're not qualified for the job you want, well ... that's on you.

I didn't need a degree to be a bagger and a stocker at the local grocery store. Nor did I need one to be a janitor at the University. The training was provided. Those jobs did not require any previous experience. Or any previous qualifications.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Forum List

Back