My safety or yours? Why we should begin to take risks to save our economy

What no one will tell you is that an economy full of fear and uncertainty is going to crash anyway.
The economy doesn't have to crash. Americans need to get over their fear. It's like war, we need to accept that some people are going to die. Most of those are older and are near death anyway.

I saw a poll today that says that a majority of people would rather hurt the economy to contain the spread of the virus rather than opening it up now.

Fine. If you want to put people out of work and sacrifice their own safety to sate your own overexaggerated fear, so be it. I'm guessing some people wouldn't open this economy until not even a strand of RNA remained of this virus. Or in essence, never.

At what point does the strain on our economy because of these lockdowns become so great that it can't be ignored anymore? What will it take for some people to understand that some of the damage this is doing to the economy will be permanent?

Where is the tipping point? At what point do we start going out and taking risks instead of sacrificing the financial futures of millions of American citizens for your own safety?

Of course, you all want safety. I want safety too. But what about those whose safety relies on their jobs and income and not simply on staying home wearing masks and social distancing?

Will you be able to explain to them why they had to make the sacrifice but not you?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Nov. 11, 1755
We are well past the tipping point. The lock down destroyed the lives of 40 million Americans and definitely has and will CAUSE deaths from heart attacks, drug abuse, domestic violence etc.

You must think everyone is worried about one or the other rather than both. You see, for some, money and lives are important.

So if you don't have money to pay for food, for clothes, for housing, for utilities... how long will you survive living in poverty?

Did it ever occur to you that people could die from that? Of course money and lives matter. Because without money some people would not be able to live. Literally.
I understand, I really do, I suffered greatly after the 2008 crash. The conservative argument is that the shutdowns are solely responsible for the economic depression we are about to enter. The reality is much more complicated. Had nothing whatsoever been officially shutdown the fear of infection and loss of productivity alone is enough to depress the economy, further, the lack of any real official response would result in some very ugly civil unrest. The government must be seen to be preserving the social order or it will start to break down. Nothing fucks up the economy more or is more dangerous to freedoms than the peasants revolting.

You must think everyone is worried about one or the other rather than both. You see, for some, money and lives are important.

So if you don't have money to pay for food, for clothes, for housing, for utilities... how long will you survive living in poverty?

Did it ever occur to you that people could die from that? Of course money and lives matter. Because without money some people would not be able to live. Literally.
I understand, I really do, I suffered greatly after the 2008 crash. The conservative argument is that the shutdowns are solely responsible for the economic depression we are about to enter. The reality is much more complicated. Had nothing whatsoever been officially shutdown the fear of infection and loss of productivity alone is enough to depress the economy, further, the lack of any real official response would result in some very ugly civil unrest. The government must be seen to be preserving the social order or it will start to break down. Nothing fucks up the economy more or is more dangerous to freedoms than the peasants revolting.

Gee, what a fricken shock.

Had nothing whatsoever been officially shutdown the fear of infection and loss of productivity alone is enough to depress the economy, further, the lack of any real official response would result in some very ugly civil unrest.

I agree.

But what happens if the response is too strong? Would that also not lead to civil unrest? What if the lockdowns are too long? Would that not also lead to civil unrest?

Had nothing whatsoever been officially shutdown the fear of infection and loss of productivity alone is enough to depress the economy, further, the lack of any real official response would result in some very ugly civil unrest.

I agree.

But what happens if the response is too strong? Would that also not lead to civil unrest? What if the lockdowns are too long? Would that not also lead to civil unrest?
When this is all over the ones who did not do enough will pay a greater political cost than those who acted out of an abundance of caution.

Last edited:
When this is all over the ones who did not do enough will pay a greater political cost than those who acted out of an abundance of caution.

On this I agree. Because for those who do not do enough out of an abundance of caution, they will surely suffer economic peril. And their own as well.

Last edited:
Maybe they should have made better choices in careers. These fine Americans should use the time off to pursue new lines of work that are considered essential during a pandemic.

Personal responsibility is the key to happiness.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So you must think that everyone can remain employed during this pandemic if they had planned correctly or utilized their time to gain experience necessary? Damn. I didn't know that we could just employ everyone in the nation in an essential job.

Not very well thought out, eh?

My goodness! No need to insult my intelligence. I’m really trying to learn. Maybe you can help.

I didn't say you were dumb. I said your post was dumb. Big difference.

Maybe they should have made better choices in careers. These fine Americans should use the time off to pursue new lines of work that are considered essential during a pandemic.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So you must think that everyone can remain employed during this pandemic if they had planned correctly or utilized their time to gain experience necessary? Damn. I didn't know that we could just employ everyone in the nation in an essential job.

Not very well thought out, eh?

My goodness! No need to insult my intelligence. I’m really trying to learn. Maybe you can help.

I didn't say you were dumb. I said your post was dumb. Big difference.

Oh! Thanks. That make me feel much better.

I saw a poll today that says that a majority of people would rather hurt the economy to contain the spread of the virus rather than opening it up now.

Fine. If you want to put people out of work and sacrifice their own safety to sate your own overexaggerated fear, so be it. I'm guessing some people wouldn't open this economy until not even a strand of RNA remained of this virus. Or in essence, never.

At what point does the strain on our economy because of these lockdowns become so great that it can't be ignored anymore? What will it take for some people to understand that some of the damage this is doing to the economy will be permanent?

Where is the tipping point? At what point do we start going out and taking risks instead of sacrificing the financial futures of millions of American citizens for your own safety?

Of course, you all want safety. I want safety too. But what about those whose safety relies on their jobs and income and not simply on staying home wearing masks and social distancing?

Will you be able to explain to them why they had to make the sacrifice but not you?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Nov. 11, 1755
Why conservatives want to begin to take risks to save Trump’s presidency.

Exactly.

Even if government had taken no action at all – no health and safety guidelines from the CDC, no recommendations from healthcare professionals – businesses would still have closed, patrons would have stopped going to venues, and citizens would have self-quarantined.

Never let a good crisis go to waste right? That’s exactly what you’re doing. You want to use this virus to justify stupid liberal policies and discredit personal responsibility. You’re sooooooo lame

Exactly.

Even if government had taken no action at all – no health and safety guidelines from the CDC, no recommendations from healthcare professionals – businesses would still have closed, patrons would have stopped going to venues, and citizens would have self-quarantined.
It would be worse than that. Even the most authoritarian shithole counties are acting very concerned for their citizens suddenly. Every student of history knows that leaders are especially vulnerable to overthrow when they fail to respond appropriately to plagues. In America even with strong responses in most places America is going to be in a major "vote the bastards out" mood. No response means angry mobs met by armed police and war in the streets.

Never let a good crisis go to waste right? That’s exactly what you’re doing. You want to use this virus to justify stupid liberal policies and discredit personal responsibility. You’re sooooooo lame

Wait! You agree? People who have lost their jobs are just reaping what they sowed, right? They made poor choices and now have jobs that are not essential. Tough break.

Or....are they really the smart ones? After all, those losers are making more money than they did when they were working. They are getting a nice taste of government free money while they sit on their asses. They may never want to return to work.

It must be one of the two. Right?

We are already at the tipping point.

Why conservatives want to begin to take risks to save Trump’s presidency.

Nah, some people couldn't give a damn about Trump, they want to take risks to survive, not to promote the president.

My god, you are so ignorant of the real-life struggles people go through.

Last edited:

Wait! You agree? People who have lost their jobs are just reaping what they sowed, right? They made poor choices and now have jobs that are not essential. Tough break.

Or....are they really the smart ones? After all, those losers are making more money than they did when they were working. They are getting a nice taste of government free money while they sit on their asses. They may never want to return to work.

Acutually no. Btw you’re too much of an idiot to play dumb

Acutually no. Btw you’re too much of an idiot to play dumb

That wasn’t nice.

Forum List

Back