My Practically New Samsung Dishwasher Stopped Working Today.....Piece Of Crap

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
I paid $1400 for this dishwasher last September....and it went on the fritz this morning.
I only used it about once a week because my wife doesn't know how to use it and instead likes washing dishes by hand.

So my practically new Samsung Dishwasher that I bought from Home Depot late last year stopped working.
I opened up the door and looked at the sticker on it and it says "MADE IN THAILAND".

I think it has a chip in it and we had a storm yesterday and a power surge and it might have fried it.

My first dishwasher lasted for 20 years. I bought a Whirlpool to replace that and it wore out in 3 years.
This one didn't even last a year....and I called Samsung and Mofos say it's out of warranty. Probably was when I bought it.

DW80R9950UG3.jpg

298539045_10221814939750946_3619930411345877140_n.jpg

I paid $1400 for this dishwasher last September....and it went on the fritz this morning.
I only used it about once a week because my wife doesn't know how to use it and instead likes washing dishes by hand.

So my practically new Samsung Dishwasher that I bought from Home Depot late last year stopped working.
I opened up the door and looked at the sticker on it and it says "MADE IN THAILAND".

I think it has a chip in it and we had a storm yesterday and a power surge and it might have fried it.

My first dishwasher lasted for 20 years. I bought a Whirlpool to replace that and it wore out in 3 years.
This one didn't even last a year....and I called Samsung and Mofos say it's out of warranty. Probably was when I bought it.

View attachment 680980

View attachment 680987

Sorry for your loss. Quite unacceptable.

Now S Korea is outsourcing to other countries. I am going to pay attention to such important details in the future.

I know for instance that Samsung has built manufacturing in Canada for E.V batteries, so just a heads up to anyone who buys an electric car and thinks "I like Korean manufacturing", it may not be as it seems...

Last edited:
Sounds like a personal problem. Why are you posting this in the "congress" section?

View attachment 680980

View attachment 680987
This is why I buy American. MAGA is all talk. Then they buy Korean, Chinese and anything else to save a buck.

I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator and dishwasher 2 years ago to go with my Whirlpool washer and dryer. And I have a Frigidaire electric range that I bought like 20 years ago, still going strong. My previous Whirlpool fridge lasted 25 years, bought in 1996. It still worked fine when i got rid of it. Costco just had a good sale on the fridge/dishwasher combo and I didn't want to press my luck going for 26 years.

Sounds like a personal problem. Why are you posting this in the "congress" section?

This is why I buy American. MAGA is all talk. Then they buy Korean, Chinese and anything else to save a buck.

I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator and dishwasher 2 years ago to go with my Whirlpool washer and dryer. And I have a Frigidaire electric range that I bought like 20 years ago, still going strong. My previous Whirlpool fridge lasted 25 years, bought in 1996. It still worked fine when i got rid of it. Costco just had a good sale on the fridge/dishwasher combo and I didn't want to press my luck going for 26 years.

I buy American and Canadian too. I even love my fruits from Mexico.

I can't lie though that Chinas manufacturing quality is improving. Though I've tried to support local where possible. Canada doesn't manufacture nearly enough however, our entrepreneurs leave just as our doctors do.

Samsung? I didn't even know they made dishwashers! Why would you buy a Samsung anything, even their TVs are crap.

If you want to buy a dishwasher, I'd recommend a Kitchen Aid or an Amana.

My Kitchen Aid dishwasher is 32 years old and still works like new.

Samsung? I didn't even know they made dishwashers! Why would you buy a Samsung anything, even their TVs are crap.

If you want to buy a dishwasher, I'd recommend a Kitchen Aid or an Amana.

My Kitchen Aid dishwasher is 32 years old and still works like new.
Everything built 32 years ago works better than the new crap.
But thanks for the tip.

But thanks for the tip.

Not sure about dishwashers but in recent years many refrigerator brands were bought up by two giants, now all brand names are made under these two parent companies: Whirlpool and Frigidaire. If you can, I would buy from Frigidaire.

As to your Samsung, you didn't say the symptoms but shouldn't you have a warranty? If not, search the web for troubleshooting guides on how to identify the problem. You can likely buy the board (if that is the problem) and install it yourself. Most places also sell service manuals.

I eschew buying appliances with electronics, but a good thing to look into is adding a whole house surge arrester. Most use simple MOVs. The best ones use a gas discharge tube.

One other factoid: Not using your dishwasher often fucks them up. Seals dry out. If not used daily, at least run it weekly.

LG (formerly GoldStar - remember them?) is another one that's crap. That's why they changed their corporate name. Their electronics were really low grade. They have a lot of bells and whistles to raise the price. But they are more expensive to fix.

Kenmore used to be great, and I believe they are still pretty reliable. Now an Amazon-owned brand. I believe Amana is made/owned by Whirlpool.

LG (formerly GoldStar - remember them?) is another one that's crap. That's why they changed their corporate name. Their electronics were really low grade. They have a lot of bells and whistles to raise the price. But they are more expensive to fix.

Last GoldStar product I've seen was a VCR, but I kinda thought LG TVs and cellphones were pretty OK but I've never OWNED an LG product.

But thanks for the tip.
What did you buy it with? Your credit card should include an extra year of warranty. Most people are not aware of this. My Citibank card includes this and I was able to get a refund on a family member's iPod that crapped out after the shitty Apple warranty expired.

Last GoldStar product I've seen was a VCR, but I kinda thought LG TVs and cellphones were pretty OK but I've never OWNED an LG product.
Yeah, they rebranded and improved quality, but every time I see LG I still think GoldStar. They were as bad as Emerson.

Our Samsung washing machine was recalled...

mudwhistle's sigpic is a bad photoshop. Trump hasn't looked like that in over 20 years.

Our Samsung washing machine was recalled...

Impact injuries? Don't wash your kids in it, people!

Even popular brands with good reputations occasionally crank out a lemon. The real test is the customer service you get when you file a claim...and if it is rectified satisfactorily in a timely manner.

Forum List

Back