Post a picture of something you did today

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I'll start:

My day started at 2:30 AM. Yesterday, some white leftist idiot had put up next to a baseball field, a 24" by 14" commercially-printed sign that read "Hate Does Not Make America Great." I ripped down the sign, took it home, took some stencils, spray paint, and a black marker, and changed it to read "TRUMP Makes America Great." I drove the 15 miles to town and stapled it in the same place it was before.

Of course, the sign was gone when I passed by there at 9:00 AM, while taking my wife to work. No picture, you'll just have to trust me on this.

While waiting for my wife to get ready for work, I gave an old S&W holster a good coating of neatsfoot oil...

today1.jpg

After dropping my wife off at work, I stopped at Goodwill, went to a convenience store to withdraw some money from the ATM, went to the post office, and went to Walmart to get two new front tires.

Still no pictures, you'll have to trust me on those too.

I then dicked around in town for most of the day, going back to Goodwill, Walmart, the gun shop, and then picked up my wife when she got off at work.

After we got home, loaded up a wheelbarrow with the things I needed to test some 30-06 rounds I loaded up last night. I have some 180 grain Sierra bullets that I loaded five rounds in three different manufacture cases, Remington Peters, Barnes, and Winchester. Not all manufactures of cartridge cases have the same volumetric capacity, and different cases can give different velocities.

The chronograph showed that loads in the the Remington cases had an average of 2425.5 fps, with a standard deviation of 14.85. The loads in the Barnes cases had an average velocity of 2443 fps with a standard deviation of 12.73, The loads in the Winchester cases had an average velocity of 2433.5 fps with a standard deviation of 3.54, which is pretty good.

On an average, the 180 .308 grain bullet loaded at the starting load, was producing about 2300-2400 foot-pounds per square inch. Increasing the powder charge by one-tenth of a grain at a time, will bring it up to 3000 ft-lbs psi, which is a good hunting load.

today2.jpg

today3.jpg

So when I got done with that, I cleaned out an old metal 5-gallon fuel can that was half full of old kerosene. Dumped it out in the woods, washed it out with hot soapy water, and dried it out on one of the five kerosene heaters I have in the garage. The one in the picture is a Dyna-Glo RMC 95-C4 that puts out a whopping 23,000 BTUs. I bought it for $10 at a garage sale last weekend, from some hippies who finally moved into a house that has central heat and air. The darned thing is a monster, it makes so much heat in the garage that I broke out in a sweat, and is worth far more than I paid for it. About $125 used. Here I'm using it to dry out that magnificent metal 5-gallon can, which in this day and age, are hard to find. Everything seems to be made out of cheap Chinese plastic these days...

today4.jpg

today5.jpg

Lastly, and before I pass out from the vodka I drank, I'm finishing up polishing 100 30-06 brass cases in the case tumbler for tomorrow...

today6.jpg

old metal 5-gallon fuel can

Best thing you done all day... Nice can... :thup:

I'll drive 20 miles to a Cenex station tomorrow and fill it up with beautiful clear 1-K kerosene tomorrow. I get it right out of the pump for about $3.20 per gallon, because there are alot of Amish in that area. They still use it for heat, and the stuff is about $20 a gallon at the hardware store.

Amazingly enough I found a picture that almost perfectly shows what we did this morning. Hard to take a picture of myself doing this! :biggrin:

landing_field.ashx

Lucky dog!

It's the first time we haven't been inundated by smoke so I decided to take a quick flight. It was well worth it.

My step-dad had a private pilot's license back in the late 60's. He ferried B-29's to Guam during WW2 and was quite a guy. He wanted to own a Piper Cub or Cessna, but never did get that far. He would rent one at the local airport where we lived in Illinois, back in the 60's, and take us up for a ride.

Closest I ever got to flying one was steering it after he got off the ground. I could probably get one off the ground, but landing would be a total shitshow.

Amazingly enough I found a picture that almost perfectly shows what we did this morning. Hard to take a picture of myself doing this! :biggrin:

landing_field.ashx

Lucky dog!

It's the first time we haven't been inundated by smoke so I decided to take a quick flight. It was well worth it.

My step-dad had a private pilot's license back in the late 60's. He ferried B-29's to Guam during WW2 and was quite a guy. He wanted to own a Piper Cub or Cessna, but never did get that far. He would rent one at the local airport where we lived in Illinois, back in the 60's, and take us up for a ride.

Closest I ever got to flying one was steering it after he got off the ground. I could probably get one off the ground, but landing would be a total shitshow.

If he was ferrying B-29's he had his IFR, multi engine, and would have qualified for a Commercial rating as well.

It's a shame he didn't pursue it as a career.

landing_field.ashx

Lucky dog!

He didn't. His passion was the theater. he was the stage manager for the Drury Lane Theater in Oak Lawn, ILL, and had a company that built stage settings for theaters.

I got a job there when I was 18 and got to meet actors like Tony Randall, Forest Tucker, George Hamilton, and Ozzie & Harriet Nelson when they were doing stage -plays there.

Ozzie & Harriet gave everyone a tip when the show was over. I had their address from the check they gave me and stopped in at their Hollywood mansion when I was bumming around a couple years later.

Harriet made me some sandwiches and gave me some money, then took me in their Rolls Royce back to the freeway. I hitch hiked down to Tijuana and spent the money in a Mexican whorehouse.

Yeah, I know. You probably think I'm making this up, but true story, mang.

I'[ll probably go to hell now.

Last edited:
JGalt
"Yeah, I know. You probably think I'm making this up, but true story, mang."

Buddy I believe every word you said... I would write a book about some of my experiences and travels, but like you I doubt very many would believe some of the stories... Life is good...

If you're anything like me, you've been to the heights of heaven and the depths of hell.

And enjoyed every second of it.

Forum List

Back