My opinion, from that distance, Iran could accurately pick their target, they missed, saved face

Well, two possibilities. One or both may apply.

They missed on purpose because they've learned Trump is not to be trifled with.

They missed on purpose because they want to buy time.
Third possibility: They hit exactly what the wanted to hit and were just showing their capability, as a quiet warning. Their statement about this being it, should not be trusted. We have all heard trump lie. This may be no different. I doubt we should be lulled into letting our guard down. I think they will strike through proxies when they hit back for the dead dumb ass General. If I were in the President's shoes, I would not make a hit at this time under playground rules, no harm no foul. His statement on twitter was surprisingly calm. That is good. Obviously the 14th ranked military cannot defend against the #1 military, but they are not above other strikes, especially through proxies against us, Israel or others.

I still think Trump should pull troops out of Iraq, especially if Iraq signals it is serious about our leaving, and I am really not sure they are. We should have jumped at the chance to be asked to leave by the host country. I doubt the letter was a complete accident. We wrote it for some reason. Maybe it was a Trump trial balloon. Either way, ground forces not necessary to destroy Iran's military if necessary, and only present opportunity to to the asymmetric fighting style of our weaker opponent.

wasnt the Iraqi military the 4th ranked?

I

Third possibility: They hit exactly what the wanted to hit and were just showing their capability, as a quiet warning. Their statement about this being it, should not be trusted. We have all heard trump lie. This may be no different. I doubt we should be lulled into letting our guard down. I think they will strike through proxies when they hit back for the dead dumb ass General. If I were in the President's shoes, I would not make a hit at this time under playground rules, no harm no foul. His statement on twitter was surprisingly calm. That is good. Obviously the 14th ranked military cannot defend against the #1 military, but they are not above other strikes, especially through proxies against us, Israel or others.

I still think Trump should pull troops out of Iraq, especially if Iraq signals it is serious about our leaving, and I am really not sure they are. We should have jumped at the chance to be asked to leave by the host country. I doubt the letter was a complete accident. We wrote it for some reason. Maybe it was a Trump trial balloon. Either way, ground forces not necessary to destroy Iran's military if necessary, and only present opportunity to to the asymmetric fighting style of our weaker opponent.

The Iran supporters in Iraq want us out, the rest do not.

Trump is speaking tomorrow morning. We'll see then.

Iran is no linger ranked 14th, but 21st. Their econ is near collapse.

So theoretically Brazil, Italy or even France could beat them.

They are largely bluff.

It worked for them with the last administration. I think they’ve learned now though.

Another possibility, they didn't miss on purpose, they missed cuz they're a bunch of fuckups playing soldier. Or, they didn't miss, they hit the bases but our guys were already underground in bunkers. Apparently we had enough early warning to get everybody under cover. From CNN:

A US military official has told CNN that the military did have enough early warning of the ballistic missile attack on airbases in Iraq to sound the alarm.

People in harm's way were able to get to bunkers in time, the official said.

Or maybe our Patriots shot the things down before they hit us. I haven't heard what kind of missiles were used against us and how accurate they might be, but I did read a report saying that 4 of the missiles never made it to the base. That doesn't sound like they intentionally missed us. I question just how expert these guys are at firing missiles.

From FoxNews:

Iran fired as many as 15 ballistic missiles into Iraq, targeting U.S. military and coalition forces early Wednesday, officials said, in a major retaliation by the rogue regime after the U.S. airstrike that killed Iranian Quds Force Gen. Qassem Soleimani last week.

Ten missiles hit Al-Assad Air Base, one missile hit a military base in Erbil and four missiles failed to hit their targets, according to a U.S. military spokesman for Central Command, responsible for American forces in the Middle East. The attacks unfolded in two waves, each about an hour apart.

Well, even if it was a case of Iran calling Russia, Russia calling Trump and telling them, you have 20 minutes to find safety, there is incoming at "_______ location". To me it's six of one, half dozen of the other". You can save face many ways and do things behind the scenes to ensure nobody has to escalate.

If I am Trump I reiterate, "we don't want to escalate, but any harm to Americans will be met accordingly".

America is already safer. They took out the #2. It was a ballsy decision. He has to know beforehand that Iran will respond. If THIS is their primary primetime response, this is a very good outcome.

Trump won on not being GWB. He cannot let the MSM and his opposition paint him as GWB or he and the GOP will lose badly in 2020.

I very much doubt the Iranians gave us any advance warning. If it got out, and it would, they'd lose so much face it wouldn't be funny. Their own military would stage a coup IMHO. No, I think Trump has to respond; they attacked us and he's gotta retaliate. Maybe not an escalation, but something. He ain't Barack Obama, there's gonna be a response.

Well, if he had to respond, I would limit it to the location in which the rockets were fired. I personally don't think attacking an oilfield does anything but ensure the Iranians get behind their government. A government that had faced heavy protests and responded with murder.

Why embolden them and put Iranians against America? Why help the Iranian government rally their citizens? Pick a military spot or two. Try to limit it to infrastructure damage and not lives.

If Trump does nothing but warn them that he will respond if needed, I would think it wouldn't be seen as a weakness at all as long as no Americans were killed. He has already won, he took out their #2 for crying out loud. He had their mighty leader in tears.

Be smart. He doesn't need to cost himself 2020. They responded almost exactly as I suggested. The Dems going against him will paint him as GWB, and it will work if he goes too far.

Last edited:

I

You are probably correct. That was just an assessment I read in the last few week, but I think it was counting their prosy partners. Their actual capabilities are not impressive, that is why irregular asymmetric warfare is their strategy of choice. This strategy is also why I favor taking our targeet assets and personnel out of serious reach. We have too many small conclaves that are more like vulnerabilities than strategic placement, meant to support the Iraqis. Not sure the Iraqis are worth the risk, and as I said, unnecessary to take out Iranian military assets. We can do that from anywhere, unless the President gets on a regime change kick, that would require clearing towns, villages and farm houses. Perfect for the weaker enemy strategies, and we saw how long that has taken to fail in that region already, and how many of our lives were lost.

That missile is interesting. It crushed the car into a ball and burned it, instead of spraying parts all over the place.

The US has some pretty scary stuff in it's arsenal.

Just think,....if Hillary had been elected.....we'd probably know exactly what they could do to a civilian population....especially in places like Tyler, TX and Lafayette, LA....you know, where Deplorables and Conservatives congregate and don't forget churches.

Hell, I wouldn't put it past the Dems to lob a few B61-12's into Conservative strongholds if they ever get full control.

Kidding, of course.......(or not?)

We trust Dems to be civil....don't we ?

Last edited:

I

So theoretically Brazil, Italy or even France could beat them.

They are largely bluff.

It worked for them with the last administration. I think they’ve learned now though.

They haven't learned in 2000 years. Maybe western cultures will never teach them, but conquering and having to leaving troops to control the suppressed anger of the conquered has been a totally discredited idea since Sun Ztu, 500 years before Christ. Ain't nothing new under the sun.

That missile is interesting. It crushed the car into a ball and burned it, instead of spraying parts all over the place.

The US has some pretty scary stuff in it's arsenal.

Just think,....if Hillary had been elected.....we'd probably know exactly what they could do to a civilian population....especially in places like Tyler, TX and Lafayette, LA....you know, where Deplorables and Conservatives congregate and don't forget churches.

Hell, I wouldn't put it past the Dems to lob a few B61-12's into Conservative strongholds if they ever get full control.

Kidding, of course.......(or not?)

We trust Dems to be civil....don't we ?

Nope. Know better.

Another possibility, they didn't miss on purpose, they missed cuz they're a bunch of fuckups playing soldier. Or, they didn't miss, they hit the bases but our guys were already underground in bunkers. Apparently we had enough early warning to get everybody under cover. From CNN:

A US military official has told CNN that the military did have enough early warning of the ballistic missile attack on airbases in Iraq to sound the alarm.

Or maybe our Patriots shot the things down before they hit us. I haven't heard what kind of missiles were used against us and how accurate they might be, but I did read a report saying that 4 of the missiles never made it to the base. That doesn't sound like they intentionally missed us. I question just how expert these guys are at firing missiles.

From FoxNews:

Iran fired as many as 15 ballistic missiles into Iraq, targeting U.S. military and coalition forces early Wednesday, officials said, in a major retaliation by the rogue regime after the U.S. airstrike that killed Iranian Quds Force Gen. Qassem Soleimani last week.

Ten missiles hit Al-Assad Air Base, one missile hit a military base in Erbil and four missiles failed to hit their targets, according to a U.S. military spokesman for Central Command, responsible for American forces in the Middle East. The attacks unfolded in two waves, each about an hour apart.

Compare that to our one shot taking out a terrorist cleanly.

Incredible technology. It means, and they now know this, we don’t have to massively bomb their cities or risk civilian casualties or American soldiers. We can pick any one of them off any time we like.

They will wind this down as quickly as they can while saving face.

From FoxNews:

Well, even if it was a case of Iran calling Russia, Russia calling Trump and telling them, you have 20 minutes to find safety, there is incoming at "_______ location". To me it's six of one, half dozen of the other". You can save face many ways and do things behind the scenes to ensure nobody has to escalate.

If I am Trump I reiterate, "we don't want to escalate, but any harm to Americans will be met accordingly".

America is already safer. They took out the #2. It was a ballsy decision. He has to know beforehand that Iran will respond. If THIS is their primary primetime response, this is a very good outcome.

Trump won on not being GWB. He cannot let the MSM and his opposition paint him as GWB or he and the GOP will lose badly in 2020.

I very much doubt the Iranians gave us any advance warning. If it got out, and it would, they'd lose so much face it wouldn't be funny. Their own military would stage a coup IMHO. No, I think Trump has to respond; they attacked us and he's gotta retaliate. Maybe not an escalation, but something. He ain't Barack Obama, there's gonna be a response.

Well, if he had to respond, I would limit it to the location in which the rockets were fired. I personally don't think attacking an oilfield does anything but ensure the Iranians get behind their government. A government that had faced heavy protests and responded with murder.

Why embolden them and put Iranians against America? Why help the Iranian government rally their citizens? Pick a military spot or two. Try to limit it to infrastructure damage and not lives.

If Trump does nothing but warn them that he will respond if needed, I would think it wouldn't be seen as a weakness at all as long as no Americans were killed. He has already won, he took out their #2 for crying out loud. He had their mighty leader in tears.

Be smart. He doesn't need to cost himself 2020. They responded almost exactly as I suggested. The Dems going against him will paint him as GWB, and it will work if he goes too far.

You called this.

From FoxNews:

Yes, Rump has to respond. And this was a direct attack by Iran, not by proxy. Someone brought up that the Iranians pretty well hit the targets inside of SA they were aiming at. It looks like they were aiming for open areas inside of the US Military Installations. Let's face it, if they were that bad of a shot, at least one would have accidentally been on a hard target. But to miss on accident that many times tells me they were either missing on purpose or bracketing the installations.

I also agree that the 3rd party militia attacks haven't started just yet but they will. And those are the ones to watch for. Been through a few of those myself and they aren't fun. And they can set up mortors and rockets on timed fuses where they won't be anywhere around when they go off. Unlike Vietnam period, the mortor and rocket crews have gotten much better. Or they might set off at 800 yds with a Dragunov and take out 3 targets and then leave before anyone can do anything about it. Maybe they got their hands on a brand new Lupua Chukavin and set off almost a mile away on top of a dune. That's good for 3 well place shots even before the sound arrives the target area. You can call all of these nuisance attacks but if you are the one being killed or you are diving for your nearest bunker, it's far from a nuisance. Or maybe they decide to get up close and personal and try to do an overrun. The Overrun doesn't work out so well these days. So they go for the Embassy overrun where the US can't use the Aircraft to stop it.

It's just started.

There will be no response, as there were no casualties.

Iran fired off some missiles so they could tell their people they fired off some missiles.

I'm no military expert, but I can't imagine they couldn't easily hit a target from across their border (though the U.S might have intercepted some I suppose with Iron Dome technology). If all reports are true, there were no U.S casualties. This is key to me. America and Trump is already winning against Iran.

Furthermore, this had to be a weak response by them. A much stronger response would have been terror, attacks on major U.S forces, or even citizens etc. They said openly they would target military specifically (and not successful it seems). As I said earlier, before we knew there the result this was a "save face at home" attack. I was hoping they were smart enough to not harm Americans, and they didn't. As this is true, Trump can get out of this with a political AND military victory. He took out their #2, again, he is winning. In my opinion, he must be wise to NOT make this a political failure.

I hope Trump is smart and doesn't allow some in his administration destroy his 2020 re-election chances. 4 More years of Trump is far more valuable to the West and USA than winning a proverbial pissing contest. I repeat, again, he took out their #2, and the danger to America, he is winning.

Defend against terrorists, don't chase the tail that will only serve his opponents. The U.S economy is doing well, pick your spots and don't over react. If I were him I would get opinions from many experts on Iran, from all sides of the aisle and persuasion.

Once again you called this exactly. The Iranians not only picked low importance targets and missed them but they apparently went to pains to telegraph their intentions.

Face saving for the Iranians who know better than to kill Americans under this President now .

US military had advance warning of Iranian ballistic missile attack, officials say

It's no surprise the Democrats are spinning yesterday in favor of Iran.

Where there's oppression and tyranny, crime and suffering.....Dems will throw their support and accolades.
Madness.

You party of the Rumpers will come in with this nonsense hoping to make us all not take a good look at your Orange Diety. Rump is a one of a kind. A phenom that only happens every 100 years or so. What are you going to do when he's just a memory? Are you going to wander the streets in a mindless stupor?

I'm no military expert, but I can't imagine they couldn't easily hit a target from across their border (though the U.S might have intercepted some I suppose with Iron Dome technology). If all reports are true, there were no U.S casualties. This is key to me. America and Trump is already winning against Iran.

Furthermore, this had to be a weak response by them. A much stronger response would have been terror, attacks on major U.S forces, or even citizens etc. They said openly they would target military specifically (and not successful it seems). As I said earlier, before we knew there the result this was a "save face at home" attack. I was hoping they were smart enough to not harm Americans, and they didn't. As this is true, Trump can get out of this with a political AND military victory. He took out their #2, again, he is winning. In my opinion, he must be wise to NOT make this a political failure.

I hope Trump is smart and doesn't allow some in his administration destroy his 2020 re-election chances. 4 More years of Trump is far more valuable to the West and USA than winning a proverbial pissing contest. I repeat, again, he took out their #2, and the danger to America, he is winning.

Defend against terrorists, don't chase the tail that will only serve his opponents. The U.S economy is doing well, pick your spots and don't over react. If I were him I would get opinions from many experts on Iran, from all sides of the aisle and persuasion.
..I'm not seeing this at all
...these are ballistic missiles--not high tech cruise missiles or laser guided missiles/bombs..ballistic means it goes high then comes back down = not that accurate....many things to throw it ''off course''...

....it appears the Qiam missile has a CEP of 500 m--whereas the TLAM Tomahawk C has a CEP of 10m....and the GBU 39 Glide Bomb 5-8m CEP
GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb - Wikipedia
..CEP doesn't mean eveyone missile will hit the CEP area

..it says the Fateh 110 MIGHT be CEP of 100m---still, this is not as accurate as TLAMs/etc
...these Iranian missiles seem to be more for attacking area targets---
now,

looking at the photos below, it doesn't seem like these missiles can be targeted accuaratly enough to hit or miss the many buidlings there...

_110441628_al_asad_damage_sat_640-nc.png

Tomahawk | Missile Threat
Qiam 1 - Wikipedia
Fateh-110
Circular error probable - Wikipedia

..damage photos:
Did Iranian strike deliberately avoid US troops?

..this link talks about Iranian missiles/accuarcy/much more--says they are not as accurate as the Iranians say they are:
https://css.ethz.ch/en/services/dig...html/4120e558-bfea-49fe-a918-922bd7ea39a1/pdf

Last edited:

..I do agree this was a very weak response...to save face..maybe---but it could also be a ruse to make the US forces/etc think they are safe and let their guard down

..I'm not seeing this at all
...these are ballistic missiles--not high tech cruise missiles or laser guided missiles/bombs..ballistic means it goes high then comes back down = not that accurate....many things to throw it ''off course''...

....it appears the Qiam missile has a CEP of 500 m--whereas the TLAM Tomahawk C has a CEP of 10m....and the GBU 39 Glide Bomb 5-8m CEP
GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb - Wikipedia

..CEP doesn't mean eveyone missile will hit the CEP area
..it says the Fateh 110 MIGHT be CEP of 100m---still, this is not as accurate as TLAMs/etc
...these Iranian missiles seem to be more for attacking area targets---
now,

looking at the photos below, it doesn't seem like these missiles can be targeted accuaratly enough to hit or miss the many buidlings there...

_110441628_al_asad_damage_sat_640-nc.png

Tomahawk | Missile Threat
Qiam 1 - Wikipedia
Fateh-110
Circular error probable - Wikipedia

..damage photos:
Did Iranian strike deliberately avoid US troops?

..this link talks about Iranian missiles/accuarcy/much more--says they are not as accurate as the Iranians say they are:
https://css.ethz.ch/en/services/dig...html/4120e558-bfea-49fe-a918-922bd7ea39a1/pdf

Only one Quiam was used. And the Iranians have a new missile that is based on the Faten-110. The new one is the Faten-313 which is longer legged and more accurate. I doubt if you can tell the difference between a 110 and a 313 after impact. I haven't seen any information on the 313.

Maybe so. Rumors are that some (most) Iraq people actually celebrated the death of the terrorist general. Where does that leave the crazy angry American left?

Forum List

Back