Movies that Could Never be Made in Today's Hypersensitive PC Culture

I wasn't referring to you personally.

Let's take an example from the OP: Song of the South was written in the context of a a very kind and gentle black man in post-Reconstruction Dixie, telling instructive folk tales for children. There is nothing at all racially insensitive or stereotypical about the character, when taken within that context.

Try to produce that movie today and the butthurt from self-proclaimed "leaders" of the black community (Sharpton, Jackson and so on) would be unrelenting. It is those thin skins to which I was referring.

Does that clarify my point for you?

I'm very familiar with the story of "Song of the South", and the controversy surrounding it which prompted it being pulled from circulation. Certainly one view is that it was perfectly innocuous, however, the film has been out of circulation, before Jackson and Sharpton became perpetually present in the nightmares of many white Americans.

And like any other subject matter involving public opinion there is another side.

Furthermore, I don't recall Sharpton or Jackson ever stating that they are "leaders" of the so called black community. Self proclaimed "activists" yes. "Leaders"? No.

Song of the South: Disney?s Most Notorious Film by Jason Sperb, reviewed.

Song of the South | Top 10 Disney Controversies | TIME.com

I thought "Uncle Remus' " tales (Which were slave tales recorded by a white man) were a source of pride for blacks and an essential account of black history.

I know who wrote the Uncle Remus stories, and not once have I ever ever heard of any black person who was around during their height of popularity, publicly stating that they looked at the "Uncle Remus" character with any sense of pride, any more than they looked at Stepinfetchit in that sense.

All that those characters did was give life to the happy, ignorant slow witted, "living for massa" stereotypes that were amusing to predominately white audiences during that era and earlier.

Just out of curiousity, what would make you "think" otherwise?

I'm very familiar with the story of "Song of the South", and the controversy surrounding it which prompted it being pulled from circulation. Certainly one view is that it was perfectly innocuous, however, the film has been out of circulation, before Jackson and Sharpton became perpetually present in the nightmares of many white Americans.

And like any other subject matter involving public opinion there is another side.

Furthermore, I don't recall Sharpton or Jackson ever stating that they are "leaders" of the so called black community. Self proclaimed "activists" yes. "Leaders"? No.

Song of the South: Disney?s Most Notorious Film by Jason Sperb, reviewed.

Song of the South | Top 10 Disney Controversies | TIME.com

I thought "Uncle Remus' " tales (Which were slave tales recorded by a white man) were a source of pride for blacks and an essential account of black history.

I know who wrote the Uncle Remus stories, and not once have I ever ever heard of any black person who was around during their height of popularity, publicly stating that they looked at the "Uncle Remus" character with any sense of pride, any more than they looked at Stepinfetchit in that sense.

All that those characters did was give life to the happy, ignorant slow witted, "living for massa" stereotypes that were amusing to predominately white audiences during that era and earlier.

My African American History professor years ago who did a lecture on the tales. Yes, he is black. Yes, he was certainly a defender of black culture and black achievement. Yes, he is well published and a serious/well accepted academic. Though he looked to be in his early 50's at the time, and thus, perhaps he had a different outlook.

Last edited:
It was used to make his character look like an ignorant fool. It was used to ridicule people who think like that. Is this really too subtle for you? It's not fucking Shakespeare, moron.

Is this the only way you are capable of debating? You have to run around calling people names? Its fucking juvenile, and you have proven nothing to support your side of this debate. Youre just shit talking.

For you to suggest that Archie Bunker would fly today is just absurd. We all know what the purpose of his character was, but no network would air a show like that today.

Such a character would be unlikely today because it wouldn't be believable enough. When All in the Family aired, Archie Bunker was a comical but only slight exaggeration of someone most viewers probably knew. Today he would seem too cartoonishly unrealistic, not too offensive.

Oh, and stop being such a whiny little bitch.

You do realize that to everyone else on this forum, you are one of those nuisance posters? You contribute to nothing. Why spend so much time here if all you're going to do is throw out insults? Its fucking weird man.

Blazing Saddles could be made again without any problems, because it made fun of the racial mores of the times.

If Mel Brooks (The Director of Blazing Saddles) says it couldn't be made in 2012 I tend to believe him. He had a hard enough time making it in 74.

Blazing Brooks: Mel Says 'Saddles' Couldn't Be Made in 2012

"It couldn't be made today," Brooks tells Kimmel flatly before launching into a classic story about an early preview of the film, and how a man high up at Warner Bros. told him to make some major cuts ... or else.

"We had this preview, people went crazy. They laughed, they enjoyed it. Afterwards, he grabs me by the collar and shoves me into an office ... and he says, “Okay, here’s a legal pad, here’s a pencil, take these notes...”

“N-word, OUT! We don’t say it. No punching a horse. Noooo punching a horse. Around the campfire, cut out the farting… out! It's out! You can’t punch an old lady. Lily von Schtupp and the black sheriff … you can’t – OUT, OUT.”

So, OK. I said “Yes, sir, it’s gone. It never happened. Come back tomorrow, and it’s all out of the movie.” He leaves, and I crunch it up, and I go all the way across the room and I put it in the waste basket, and John Calley says 'good filing!'”

I had final cut, so I said, 'what do I care?'"

12 Years a slave and Django can't be made today?

Some of act as though there is an OFFICE OF POLITICALLY CORRECTITUDE.

Obviously some people are going to be offended by stuff other people think is okay.

This happens in both directions.

It is PC RIGHT to complain about PISS JESUS art for example.

It is PC LEFT to complain about Rap music being misygenous for another example/

Nobody owns PC thinking..we all suffer from it.

Cept me of course, cause I'm like totally enlightened.:lol:

There's already a big todo over the director of the new MLK biopic wanting to include scenes about his various affairs the King family wants to keep buried.:lol:

My African American History professor years ago who did a lecture on the tales. Yes, he is black. Yes, he was certainly a defender of black culture and black achievement. Yes, he is well published and a serious/well accepted academic. Though he looked to be in his early 50's at the time, and thus, perhaps he had a different outlook.

I distinctly recall you stating in a previous post that you are over 80 years of age.

What schools were offering black studies classes when you attended?

I suppose that it is possible that you may have returned to school at an advanced age.

When I took black studies in the late 60's, characters like Uncle Remus, Stepenfetchit, Beulah, Uncle Ben, and Aunt Jemima, just to name a few, were considered to be stereotypes that were negative, but on the other hand were the only opportunities that black actors, actresses and models were able to pursue.

In spite of being taken off of the air, Amos and Andy was actually positive in some ways, because in addition to the lazy, inarticulate, buffoon Kingfish, there were some respectable characters in the series.

Blazing Saddles could be made again without any problems, because it made fun of the racial mores of the times.

If Mel Brooks (The Director of Blazing Saddles) says it couldn't be made in 2012 I tend to believe him. He had a hard enough time making it in 74.

Blazing Brooks: Mel Says 'Saddles' Couldn't Be Made in 2012

"It couldn't be made today," Brooks tells Kimmel flatly before launching into a classic story about an early preview of the film, and how a man high up at Warner Bros. told him to make some major cuts ... or else.

"We had this preview, people went crazy. They laughed, they enjoyed it. Afterwards, he grabs me by the collar and shoves me into an office ... and he says, “Okay, here’s a legal pad, here’s a pencil, take these notes...”

“N-word, OUT! We don’t say it. No punching a horse. Noooo punching a horse. Around the campfire, cut out the farting… out! It's out! You can’t punch an old lady. Lily von Schtupp and the black sheriff … you can’t – OUT, OUT.”

So, OK. I said “Yes, sir, it’s gone. It never happened. Come back tomorrow, and it’s all out of the movie.” He leaves, and I crunch it up, and I go all the way across the room and I put it in the waste basket, and John Calley says 'good filing!'”

I had final cut, so I said, 'what do I care?'"

Any story that highlights the evils of whites will not only be easily made, it will be welcomed with open arms.

I distinctly recall you stating in a previous post that you are over 80 years of age.

I suppose that it is possible that you may have returned to school at an advanced age.

When I took black studies in the late 60's, characters like Uncle Remus, Stepenfetchit, Beulah, Uncle Ben, and Aunt Jemima, just to name a few, were considered to be stereotypes that were negative, but on the other hand were the only opportunities that black actors, actresses and models were able to pursue.

In spite of being taken off of the air, Amos and Andy was actually positive in some ways, because in addition to the lazy, inarticulate, buffoon Kingfish, there were some respectable characters in the series.

80's? Very far from it. What college I attended gets too close to home for an internet forum. But if my age disqualifies me from studying history then I might as well destroy my history degree, which, isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

Any story that highlights the evils of whites will not only be easily made, it will be welcomed with open arms.

Not necessarily. 12 Years A Slave was based on a true story, so it's success was more based on that than demonizing the poor, maligned white population. And as far as Django, it's commercial success was based in it having crossover appeal, because black moviegoers on average accounted for about 30% of the viewing audience.

Furthermore, one of the films harshest critics was Spike Lee......the SAME Spike Lee, that you implied could be a so called "black leader", in your "bait poll" regarding "The State of the Black Union".

Not necessarily. 12 Years A Slave was based on a true story, so it's success was more based on that than demonizing the poor, maligned white population. And as far as Django, it's commercial success was based in it having crossover appeal, because black moviegoers on average accounted for about 30% of the viewing audience.

Furthermore, one of the films harshest critics was Spike Lee......the SAME Spike Lee, that you implied could be a so called "black leader", in your "bait poll" regarding "The State of the Black Union".

The largest purpose for producing films that portray slavery now days is to foster a sense of victimhood and hatred toward whites. All these movies are made by leftists who over exaggerate and lie as they did in Roots or as Opera when she was promoting a film citing millions of lynched blacks. It panders to the audience more so than entertains them. It's kinda like the benevolent master back in the slave days who assumed the role of benevolent caretaker.

80's? Very far from it. What college I attended gets too close to home for an internet forum. But if my age disqualifies me from studying history then I might as well destroy my history degree, which, isn't going to happen.

Of course I would not expect anyone to risk their anonimity in a cesspool like this. There are some nuts here.

Is this the only way you are capable of debating? You have to run around calling people names? Its fucking juvenile, and you have proven nothing to support your side of this debate. Youre just shit talking.

For you to suggest that Archie Bunker would fly today is just absurd. We all know what the purpose of his character was, but no network would air a show like that today.

Such a character would be unlikely today because it wouldn't be believable enough. When All in the Family aired, Archie Bunker was a comical but only slight exaggeration of someone most viewers probably knew. Today he would seem too cartoonishly unrealistic, not too offensive.

You do realize that to everyone else on this forum, you are one of those nuisance posters? You contribute to nothing. Why spend so much time here if all you're going to do is throw out insults? Its fucking weird man.

What did I tell you about being a whiny little bitch? Unbunch your panties and stay on topic.

What did I tell you about being a whiny little bitch? Unbunch your panties and stay on topic.

What kind of person would spend so many hours every day making posts like that? Whats wrong with you? Let me guess, youre all alone. Single right? You should try to make some changes in your life. This is not healthy and you know it.

Movies that Could Never be Made in Today's Hypersensitive PC Culture
Nonsense.

There is no ‘PC culture,’ ‘hypersensitive’ or otherwise.

I suggest you watch this and take heed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8]Shit and Shinola - YouTube[/ame]

Because it's obvious you don't know shit from Shinola.

Actually..it's you guys that don't.

Movies today are far more violent than they were 10, 20 or even 30 years ago.

And basically anything goes.

And your PC nonsense is basically people that think they can't get away with racism.

What kind of person would spend so many hours every day making posts like that?

What kind of person would spend so many hours every day with whiny little nothing responses instead of commenting on the topic?

The largest purpose for producing films that portray slavery now days is to foster a sense of victimhood and hatred toward whites. All these movies are made by leftists who over exaggerate and lie as they did in Roots or as Opera when she was promoting a film citing millions of lynched blacks. It panders to the audience more so than entertains them. It's kinda like the benevolent master back in the slave days who assumed the role of benevolent caretaker.

I was referring to Django and 12 Years A Slave. Claiming to be a "student of history", you should know that The Civil War has been the backdrop of many movies over many generations, and within many of those movies are many human interest stories. To state that telling some of these stories that focus on slavery is "fostering a sense of victim hood and hatred" is disingenuous, and nothing but a rightwing talking point, and really makes it sound as if you are stating that ithe slavery part of the war should just be ignored.

I suppose that you would feel more comfortable if the "truth" presented to the public was that "the war was strictly fought to free the slaves" which is nowhere near the real truth.

Slavery was an ugly truth, and one of the important issues in the war that was fought, and should chronicled in films and written accounts.

If anything, to tell the true story. Not some romanticized, feel good version.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back