Movies that Could Never be Made in Today's Hypersensitive PC Culture

Well its not a movie, but the Archie Bunker show is a good example. This wouldn't fly today.

Of course it would. It seems you don't understand what that show (and that character) was all about.

Archie openly uses the word "chink" in that video in reference to Asian people. Hes straight up using a racial slur as part of a throw away joke.
]

It was used to make his character look like an ignorant fool. It was used to ridicule people who think like that. Is this really too subtle for you? It's not fucking Shakespeare, moron.

You're completely wrong about the first, the second would only be a problem because the part in question is anachronistic, and I have no idea about the third.

I think more people would get their panties in a bunch over Coming to America.

I'll take the directors opinion over yours any day of the week. I]

Illogical.

Yes, because the opinion of the guy who made the movie doesn't count when .... well..... see the video below!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA]Objection! - YouTube[/ame]

It seems you could benefit from learning the difference between shit and Shinola, too.]

All in the Family was a big lib show, idiot. It would be heaped with praise today.

It certainly would. And anyone who has the notion that today's environment is so much "PC" than years past has been living under a rock.

I can vividly recall in the not so distant past when certain 4 letter words were not heard on television, nor were there any references towards sexual orientation. It was all spoken in "code".

For those who are "appalled" by today's PC culture, you should watch these shows.

Watch Full Length American Dad Episodes & Specials Online

The Boondocks (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's an example of what All in the Family was able to say that wouldn't stand a chance today.

"All in the Family: Sammy's Visit (#2.21)" (1972)

Archie Bunker: Now, no prejudice intended, but, you know, I always check with the Bible on these here things. I think that, I mean if God had meant for us to be together, he'da put us together. But look what he done. He put you over in Africa, and put the rest of us in all the white countries.

Sammy Davis Jr.: Well, he must've told 'em where we were because somebody came and got us.

Sammy Davis Jr.: If you were prejudiced, Archie, when I came into your house, you would have called me a "coon" or a "******." But you didn't say that, I heard you clear as a bell, right straight out you said: "colored".

Archie Bunker: Yeah, that's what I done, all right.

Sammy Davis Jr.: And if you were prejudiced, you would, like some people, close their eyes to what's going on in this great country that we live in. But not you, Archie, your eyes are wide open. You can tell the difference between black and white. And I have a deep-rooted feeling that you'll always be able to tell the difference between black and white. And if you were prejudiced, you'd walk around thinking that you're better than anybody else in the world. But I can honestly say, after spending these marvelous moments with you, you ain't better than anybody.

Archie Bunker: [extends his hand] Can I have your hand on that, Sammy?

Archie Bunker: You being colored, well, I know you had no choice in that. But whatever made you turn Jew?

Archie Bunker (Character) - Quotes

Of course it would. It seems you don't understand what that show (and that character) was all about.

Archie openly uses the word "chink" in that video in reference to Asian people. Hes straight up using a racial slur as part of a throw away joke.
]

It was used to make his character look like an ignorant fool. It was used to ridicule people who think like that. Is this really too subtle for you? It's not fucking Shakespeare, moron.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your point? The OP is comparing a different era to today. There was a time that minorities(mostly black) were generally typecast and confined to those type of roles with few if no exceptions. If you are over 50 years of age you would know that.
I'm pointing out the clear double standard.

I'm also pointing out that it's not the color of the skin but the thickness of it as well.

And how is there a"double standard" today that has anything to do with social standards of years past?

As far as "color of ones skin", it absolutely DID in years past play a part in roles played by some people.

Has nothing o do with thick or thin skin...at least not to me personally.
I wasn't referring to you personally.

Let's take an example from the OP: Song of the South was written in the context of a a very kind and gentle black man in post-Reconstruction Dixie, telling instructive folk tales for children. There is nothing at all racially insensitive or stereotypical about the character, when taken within that context.

Try to produce that movie today and the butthurt from self-proclaimed "leaders" of the black community (Sharpton, Jackson and so on) would be unrelenting. It is those thin skins to which I was referring.

Does that clarify my point for you?

You're too stupid to even realize why it's illogical. Maybe you should have finished school or something.

Deferring to the opinion of the guy who made the movie is illogical. Gotcha!

As I said, you can't even understand why. Pathetic. Get off drugs and go back to school, kid.

Oh I know why you consider the opinion of the guy who made the movie illogical.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA]Objection! - YouTube[/ame]

LOL, I assumed I was debating a rational person. I gotta tell you that the Avatar threw me off Unkotare. Indeed, if I knew it was you I would have simply ignored. Sneaky! Go about your way. I will bother you no further.

I'm pointing out the clear double standard.

I'm also pointing out that it's not the color of the skin but the thickness of it as well.

And how is there a"double standard" today that has anything to do with social standards of years past?

As far as "color of ones skin", it absolutely DID in years past play a part in roles played by some people.

Let's take an example from the OP: Song of the South was written in the context of a a very kind and gentle black man in post-Reconstruction Dixie, telling instructive folk tales for children. There is nothing at all racially insensitive or stereotypical about the character, when taken within that context.

Try to produce that movie today and the butthurt from self-proclaimed "leaders" of the black community (Sharpton, Jackson and so on) would be unrelenting. It is those thin skins to which I was referring.

I'm very familiar with the story of "Song of the South", and the controversy surrounding it which prompted it being pulled from circulation. Certainly one view is that it was perfectly innocuous, however, the film has been out of circulation, before Jackson and Sharpton became perpetually present in the nightmares of many white Americans.

And like any other subject matter involving public opinion there is another side.

Furthermore, I don't recall Sharpton or Jackson ever stating that they are "leaders" of the so called black community. Self proclaimed "activists" yes. "Leaders"? No.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...t_notorious_film_by_jason_sperb_reviewed.html

http://entertainment.time.com/2009/12/09/top-10-disney-controversies/slide/song-of-the-south/

Last edited:

]

Is this the only way you are capable of debating? You have to run around calling people names? Its fucking juvenile, and you have proven nothing to support your side of this debate. Youre just shit talking.

For you to suggest that Archie Bunker would fly today is just absurd. We all know what the purpose of his character was, but no network would air a show like that today. What have you been smoking?

Last edited:

I'm very familiar with the story of "Song of the South", and the controversy surrounding it which prompted it being pulled from circulation. Certainly one view is that it was perfectly innocuous, however, the film has been out of circulation, before Jackson and Sharpton became perpetually present in the nightmares of many white Americans.

And like any other subject matter involving public opinion there is another side.

Furthermore, I don't recall Sharpton or Jackson ever stating that they are "leaders" of the so called black community. Self proclaimed "activists" yes. "Leaders"? No.

Song of the South: Disney?s Most Notorious Film by Jason Sperb, reviewed.

Song of the South | Top 10 Disney Controversies | TIME.com

I thought "Uncle Remus' " tales (Which were slave tales recorded by a white man) were a source of pride for blacks and an essential account of black history. Indeed, if I am not mistaken, that's what the Song of the South was based on and that's why Disney picked it up. It is Americana in it's truest form brought to animation out of the small academic realm.

]

Is this the only way you are capable of debating? You have to run around calling people names? Its fucking juvenile, and you have proven nothing to support your side of this debate. Youre just shit talking.

For you to suggest that Archie Bunker would fly today is just absurd. We all know what the purpose of his character was, but no network would air a show like that today.

Such a character would be unlikely today because it wouldn't be believable enough. When All in the Family aired, Archie Bunker was a comical but only slight exaggeration of someone most viewers probably knew. Today he would seem too cartoonishly unrealistic, not too offensive.

Oh, and stop being such a whiny little bitch.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we aren't in Oz anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
]

For you to suggest that Archie Bunker would fly today is just absurd. We all know what the purpose of his character was, but no network would air a show like that today. What have you been smoking?

Which is why I largely ignore him. He's my automatic thread bumper. Its a win win situation. He gets is trolling/flaming jollies off and I get my threads bumped enabling future conversations with more serious posters. He has brought so many of my threads back to relevancy that I ought to thank him for it. The best part is that I don't need to argue with him because as a flamer/troller he never provides a relevant point.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back