Most Expensive States to Live in 2023

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
And as usual, except for Alaska, it's blue states. It's always blue states.

Defining Expensive States​

The United States has the world's 26th most expensive cost of living. However, the cost of everyday expenses varies widely from state to state.

The cost of living includes all expenses that cover a person's needs, including food, housing, healthcare, and transportation. Costs of living can vary widely from state to state, with the highest found in major metropolitan areas. The most expensive states to live in are in the Northeast, on the Pacific Coast, and in non-contiguous states.

And as usual, except for Alaska, it's blue states. It's always blue states.

I don't know how accurate your map is. It appears, by that map, that South Dakota is only one notch cheaper than Washington. I moved from Washington a year and a half ago. My home is in a smaller town, accessible to a much bigger metro than the one I lived in in WA -- larger, newer home on a larger lot for about half of what I got for my home in Washington.

When I moved here, a dozen organic free range eggs was $10 in Washington -- same brand organic free range eggs was less than half of that in my new state.

Utilities are about half here what they were in Washington.

Gas was significantly cheaper in SD.

The only thing that's more expensive here is property tax, maybe by about 20%. Worth it because it's mostly for schools and the schools here are WAAAAAAAAAAY better.

No comparison whatever.

The fact is there are nice parts in every state. Politics and tax rates would be on the very bottom of my considerations of where to live.

Forum List

Back