More Deaths from Covid = More Deaths Overall

Here is another somewhat earlier article from a PHD statistician / professor at Virginia Tech providing a simple view of the issue:

Those who reject NYT and CDC science and statistical articles should provide their own statistical evidence. I am no fan of NYT editorial views on many subjects, and of course I’m aware political opinions often seep into straight news articles. But nobody has shown where this is the case here, and indeed the articles in question point out that deaths related to secondary results of Covid “lockdown” or stay-at-home type issues are serious. These was not articles that mentioned Trump or took any position whatever on what measures were appropriate to deal with Covid.

It is the height of childishness to reject statistical records or scientific fact because one doesn’t like the politics of the source or of the scientists or statisticians involved. Here the issue at one level is very simple. In 2020 since March/April was there an increase in overall deaths corresponding to or even superseding the number of Covid-19 deaths claimed? The answer is ... yes, there was and there is.
1.8% mortality rate and falling. 0.4% critical cases, only 2% of the US currently has Covid.

I'm surprised that you didn't have the numbers for suicides, I'll bet that they are up in 2020, and directly linked to the Covid19 Pandemic and our response to the Pandemic
I would not be surprised at all if suicides are way up, and also domestic violence. Long-term effects from school closings, missing regular doctor’s appointments, delayed elective surgery, and of course huge economic losses are undoubted. Nevertheless the stock market is up (!) and so will be long-term unemployment and wealth differentials. Don’t know anybody who really doubts this.

YOU stay inside with your Mask on, no need to make EVERYONE capitulate to these stupid "mandates" just to make "you" feel better.
Thank you for your advice. I get out and walk four or five miles a day, generally without wearing a mask, avoiding strangers and accompanied by my wife. Since I am 71 and retired, suffer serious chronic cough and asthma, I certainly avoid crowds and wear a mask when I must shop or meet people.

I have said absolutely nothing in this thread about “mandates” or lockdowns. There is absolutely nothing you can do, or not do, at this point that will make me “feel better.” This is a difficult period of rapid Covid spread, particularly dangerous to people like me. I look forward to the day when my fellow citizens are less crazy and less divided, when safe vaccines are available to all.

We're "divided" because people on your side of the aisle are acting like idiots. Gates is now talking about everyone wearing masks until 2022 EVEN with the shot. Won't happen, it's stupid.

Thank you for your advice. I get out and walk four or five miles a day, generally without wearing a mask, avoiding strangers and accompanied by my wife. Since I am 71 and retired, suffer serious chronic cough and asthma, I certainly avoid crowds and wear a mask when I must shop or meet people.

I have said absolutely nothing in this thread about “mandates” or lockdowns. There is absolutely nothing you can do, or not do, at this point that will make me “feel better.” This is a difficult period of rapid Covid spread, particularly dangerous to people like me. I look forward to the day when my fellow citizens are less crazy and less divided, when safe vaccines are available to all.

You're right.

Wuhan is dangerous to you. With your underlying conditions, any respiratory infection would be serious. Wuhan, Flu, or a common cold.

The issue that those of us who follow the science have is the absurd level of hyperbole. I had Wuhan back in February. It's miserable, I had a 104 fever and felt like utter shit for a couple of days. I had a bout with strep in my 30's that was worse, but Wuhan is nasty.

Obviously I, like 99.8% of people who get Wuhan recovered. But I have no secondary respiratory issues.

The point being that our reaction to Wuhan is completely out of sync with the actual disease. This isn't the bubonic plague, it passes like the common cold and is about the same a most flus in the impact on people.

Time to follow the science for real.

these shills are clueless that now cause of covid,the hospitals for decades were always leaving paperwork of patients being treated for the flu,eumonia however thats spelled,yet now all of a sudden with covid,all of a sudden a bizaarre coincidence just happens that there is no paperwork of docotrs reporting that anymore,but thats just a coincidence according to the tom mr coincidence theorist here.:abgg2q.jpg:

I'm surprised that you didn't have the numbers for suicides, I'll bet that they are up in 2020, and directly linked to the Covid19 Pandemic and our response to the Pandemic
I would not be surprised at all if suicides are way up, and also domestic violence. Long-term effects from school closings, missing regular doctor’s appointments, delayed elective surgery, and of course huge economic losses are undoubted. Nevertheless the stock market is up (!) and so will be long-term unemployment and wealth differentials. Don’t know anybody who really doubts this.

YOU stay inside with your Mask on, no need to make EVERYONE capitulate to these stupid "mandates" just to make "you" feel better.

We're "divided" because people on your side of the aisle are acting like idiots. Gates is now talking about everyone wearing masks until 2022 EVEN with the shot. Won't happen, it's stupid.
:thankusmile: well said,yeah i heard the exact same thing.

Your approach is primitive. You first compile a names list of those who have been verified to have died from SARS-Cov-2. You next determine underlying conditions, which will question the cause of death, as in the George Floyd case..

Here is another somewhat earlier article from a PHD statistician / professor at Virginia Tech providing a simple view of the issue:

Those who reject NYT and CDC science and statistical articles should provide their own statistical evidence. I am no fan of NYT editorial views on many subjects, and of course I’m aware political opinions often seep into straight news articles. But nobody has shown where this is the case here, and indeed the articles in question point out that deaths related to secondary results of Covid “lockdown” or stay-at-home type issues are serious. These was not articles that mentioned Trump or took any position whatever on what measures were appropriate to deal with Covid.

It is the height of childishness to reject statistical records or scientific fact because one doesn’t like the politics of the source or of the scientists or statisticians involved. Here the issue at one level is very simple. In 2020 since March/April was there an increase in overall deaths corresponding to or even superseding the number of Covid-19 deaths claimed? The answer is ... yes, there was and there is.
1.8% mortality rate and falling. 0.4% critical cases, only 2% of the US currently has Covid.

The mortality rate is actually much lower than that, since the majority of those infected are so asymptomatic that they never got tested or counted.
It is possible that half the population was already infected and recovered, and we would not know.

Forum List

Back