Modernism Schizophrenia & Transformation of Globalization

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Why are there so many images in art in modern times regarding the proliferation of power-shift angst and energy distribution paranoia? Various films such as I, Robot and Aeon Flux explore a natural fear about the complete dissolution of the respect for authority in the face of emerging pseudo-Orwellian machinery and traffic labyrinths.

In older times, colonialization facilitated by sea-travel created anxieties about community values, but in modern times, traffic congestion and post-Industrialization urbanization creates fears about loss of control over temperance and civics sanity, which is imprinted in pop-culture art such as Gotham (a TV series adapted from DC Comics' Batman which presents stories about a masked vigilante tackling schizophrenic criminality in a fictional brooding city called Gotham).

David Herlihy's The Black Death and the Transformation of the West explores the cultural and psychological impact of the cataclysmic epidemic of bubonic plague in Europe and how we can make academic branches in history from that era --- perhaps even tracing developments to the modern European Union.

Perhaps we can make a modernism treatise similar to Herlihy's exploration, which is what this thread is about. Are we comfortable with the automated industrialization 'machinery' of the modern era? Are we happy with the legacy of FDR's social welfare net policies and the impact of the FDA?

As we make modernism-relevant networking-paranoia films such as Celebrity and Robots, we could consider how new age fears about 'governance schizophrenia' leaves humanity in a place were only media infrastructures such as Facebook seem like the only beacons of 'activity supervision'...

The fictional giant menacing robot Unicron from the A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) fantasy-adventure franchise Transformers (Hasbro) symbolizes pure schizophrenia and therefore represents the modernism fears associated with loss of civics sanity. Unicron terrorizes planets in the universe with his imposing size and strength and diabolical intelligence and implants in sentient beings a terrible fear of 'dystopian deformity.'

We could use Unicron to evaluate the impact of untempered globalization (e.g., NATO, Wall Street, etc.).

====

UNICRON: Brains decay from the tediousness of labor...
GOD: Do you propose escapism or nihilism?
UNICRON: I propose forced labor to mandate productive obedience!
GOD: Sounds like some kind of Orwellian delusion...
UNICRON: Even mice understand what I'm discussing --- organized schizophrenia.
GOD: What's the difference between what you're referring to and McCarthyism?
UNICRON: I'm not talking about bigotry or Calvinism; I'm talking about employment...
GOD: Money does not rule the heart.
UNICRON: It does rule the mind...
GOD: Organized profiteerism (as you propose) will create globalization doubts.
UNICRON: What I propose is no different than the Hindu caste system...
GOD: Sentient beings will not accept a uniform program of subservience.
UNICRON: We can standardize arts/entertainment (e.g., Facebook).
GOD: No, the mind requires a tangible outlet for defiance...
UNICON: Democracy will not last!
GOD: I disagree. Voting systems ensure evaluation of fair trade.
UNICRON: We'll see if rebellious youngsters are content with 'video-game' sociology!
GOD: Youth in America (for example) appreciate media achievements such as IMAX...
UNICON: Can movies create pure idealism?
GOD: Yes! For example --- Ex-Machina.

====

UNICRON:

unicron.jpeg

Forum List

Back