META (Facebook) Banning Conservatives over their opinions.....

What's wrong with calling out an organization for bias that effects their users?
Nothing at all. It's when the calling out becomes a demand that government "do something" about it - that's when it's a problem.

Your business doesn't have the same power over public discourse as META does.

Doesn't matter. What matters is that you're now advocating that a private company be forced to change how they do business because you don't like that they exercise their rights as a business. Having power of public discourse is meaningless. One of my businesses is in a ridiculously specialized field. There's not a single other company in the entire state of Florida, or in the southeast, for that matter, that does what we do.

Should I be forced to alter how we do business because I operate a business in an industry which offers ridiculously few options?

Two very different things. Big Tech has made it impossible to create a startup to challenge them. They crash your servers and prohibit you from doing business by controlling the access flow. META and Google have already been caught doing this. Parler anyone?

So, because no one else can seem to get a foothold in social media Facebook should be held to blame?

I suspect that, if Facebook was censoring liberal commentary you would have no problem with it. Am I even a little bit correct on that? At the very least, I think you would be a bit more accepting of it...

So this avenue is a dead end.

What avenue?

Is it time to break them up into small little pieces now?

I find it fascinating that you're so eager to punish success...

And lose their government protections.
I hadn't gotten into that area yet. They have protections from what others post. SO, there is no liability to them for what I post. But the moment they went into controlling content of the site that protection must be removed and they should be held liable for the censorship under federal law.

What's wrong with calling out an organization for bias that effects their users?
Who said anything about calling them out is bad? They should be taken to task and taken hard. Hell, they should be taken out entirely and run out of business.

But NONE of that should be done with one ounce of government power. The government should not be involved in any shape or form.

Doesn't matter. What matters is that you're now advocating that a private company be forced to change how they do business because you don't like that they exercise their rights as a business. Having power of public discourse is meaningless. One of my businesses is in a ridiculously specialized field. There's not a single other company in the entire state of Florida, or in the southeast, for that matter, that does what we do.

Should I be forced to alter how we do business because I operate a business in an industry which offers ridiculously few options?

So, because no one else can seem to get a foothold in social media Facebook should be held to blame?

I suspect that, if Facebook was censoring liberal commentary you would have no problem with it. Am I even a little bit correct on that? At the very least, I think you would be a bit more accepting of it...

What avenue?

I find it fascinating that you're so eager to punish success...
You keep missing that META and Google have partnered up to control data flow and server farms nation wide. It is this monopoly that prevents starups from challenging them. Are you advocating this is not monopoly?

I hadn't gotten into that area yet. They have protections from what others post. SO, there is no liability to them for what I post. But the moment they went into controlling content of the site that protection must be removed and they should be held liable for the censorship under federal law.

So, just so I'm clear on this point: You don't believe Facebook should be able to censor what their users post?

You FREELY enter into that contract and you can end it at ANY TIME.
Yeah, good luck with that. It took me WEEKS, plural and several, to get off Facebook. I hated it and didn't want to be there. I didn't like Twitter either, but they were easy to get off. Facebook --------- boy, they just were NOT going to let loose of anyone they were making money off. Even after they reluctantly agreed weeks after I started trying, they said they'd save my data for six months in case I repented.

[Sigh.] I should simply have started posting fierce rightwing sentiments to get banned. I didn't think of that at the time; it was a long time ago.

So, just so I'm clear on this point: You don't believe Facebook should be able to censor what their users post?
That is not what I said. It's called equal treatment of opposing opinions. They have become the town square and that dialogue must be treated equally, not treated as unlawful speech. META has powers over the national discourse that they are not entitled to control. They are acting as a partisan actor in political debate, which is protected speech on every platform.

It’s not bias. It’s just that conservatives are much more prone to breaking the rules.
Which are written to allow bias by those making the decisions about who to ban and not ban. Come on, you know better than that.

Nothing at all. It's when the calling out becomes a demand that government "do something" about it - that's when it's a problem.
The government did something about it when it repealed the (un)Fairness Act and allowed the market to pick winners and losers on the radio. Worked very well, too. And it really doesn't matter who's yelling now that the government has to do something about it when a different platform can do whatever it wants too.

This holds, of course, as long as FB doesn't get what it wants by getting called in to help write the new internet regulations like they've been claiming they want.

That is not what I said. It's called equal treatment of opposing opinions. They have become the town square ...
No. They haven't. They have more power to influence society than you like, so you want government to "reign them in".

Yeah, good luck with that. It took me WEEKS, plural and several, to get off Facebook. I hated it and didn't want to be there. I didn't like Twitter either, but they were easy to get off. Facebook --------- boy, they just were NOT going to let loose of anyone they were making money off. Even after they reluctantly agreed weeks after I started trying, they said they'd save my data for six months in case I repented.

[Sigh.] I should simply have started posting fierce rightwing sentiments to get banned. I didn't think of that at the time; it was a long time ago.
What? Is Facebook cocaine now? God help you if you ever take an actual drug, you will never be able to get off it.

It took me less than a second to get off Facebook. One day I decided to simply stop using it. 2 years later I logged on for the hell of it and my account had been hacked by some random company trying to sell sunglasses. Likely still doing so....

Forum List

Back