Megachurch Pastor Calls On Christians To Defy COVID-19 Guidelines Even If It Means Death

Wrong.

The Covid 19 protocols in no manner ‘violate’ religious liberty or expression.

This has nothing to do with the First Amendment or Constitution.

Indeed, there’s nothing in Christian doctrine or dogma which mandates Christians worship in large gatherings – particularly given the fact that during the advent Christianity worship consisted of small gatherings in private homes.

Maybe you should explain that to the French people who are planning to spend literally millions to repair the large Notre Dame cathedral that was recently damaged in a fire- explain to them that they should just be worshipping Almighty God in small gatherings in their homes. Or the folks at the Liberal Megachurch in Manhattan, St. John the Divine, to abandon the completion of their building?

Wrong.

The Covid 19 protocols in no manner ‘violate’ religious liberty or expression.

This has nothing to do with the First Amendment or Constitution.

Indeed, there’s nothing in Christian doctrine or dogma which mandates Christians worship in large gatherings – particularly given the fact that during the advent Christianity worship consisted of small gatherings in private homes.

Maybe you should explain that to the French people who are planning to spend literally millions to repair the large Notre Dame cathedral that was recently damaged in a fire- explain to them that they should just be worshipping Almighty God in small gatherings in their homes. Or the folks at the Liberal Megachurch in Manhattan, St. John the Divine, to abandon the completion of their building?

As I just said in another thread: These cats ALWAYS know exactly what Jesus is thinking and they always know exactly what Christians should do.

It's weird but funny

I find it strange that such a godly man isn't putting his own life on the line by volunteering to help COVID patients.

He should do so and refuse to wear any PPE to prove his assertion that god will not let him die

Unfortunately, or perhaps just as well, the government doesn't allow Preachers to dispense life sustaining chloroquine aka trumpicillin to patients. Even those preachers who have a doctorate degree.

The day that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we will fear no evil for God is with us. Then he said, ‘fear not because I am with you’

And then the Bible teaches us to be absent from our bodies to be present with the Lord. So like any revolutionary, zealot or pure religious person, death looks to him like a welcome friend.

It is fitting to post this in "Religion and Ethics" with the emphasis on ethics. The pastor has a right to believe as he does, and perhaps even to sacrifice his life for those beliefs. However, he is a charismatic and persuasive person who has a lot of influence with his "flock" Like any group or demographic, you have people who are vulnerable and impressionable who will obey him.

In reading this, I could not help but to think of Jonestown:

https://www.britannica.com/event/Jonestown-massacre
Jonestown
, location of the mass murder-suicide of the California-based Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their charismatic but paranoid leader, Jim Jones, in Jonestown agricultural commune, Guyana, on November 18, 1978. The death toll exceeded 900, making it one of the largest mass deaths in American history.

I am hard pressed to see how Tony Spell is all that different than Jim Jones. Spell uses the power of the pulpit- as did jones- to manipulate and control his followers. Spell is probobly mentally ill, as was Jones and both have or had a need to be in control at all costs.
I find it strange that such a godly man isn't putting his own life on the line by volunteering to help COVID patients.

He should do so and refuse to wear any PPE to prove his assertion that god will not let him die

This guy is a poser and probably a fake too. However I note the long trend of anti-Christians telling Christians:

1. What Jesus knows/thinks/is doing (even though they don't think Jesus is real) and

2. What they should be doing to serve Jesus (even though they don't think Jesus is real)

It's just funny at this point
I'm not the one claiming god will protect people from COVID.

These so called religious leaders care so little for the health and well being of their "flocks" that they tell them to intentionally risk their health

And where did I mention Jesus in any thread?

Unfortunately, or perhaps just as well, the government doesn't allow Preachers to dispense life sustaining chloroquine aka trumpicillin to patients. Even those preachers who have a doctorate degree.
He doesn't have to give meds

The day that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we will fear no evil for God is with us. Then he said, ‘fear not because I am with you’

And then the Bible teaches us to be absent from our bodies to be present with the Lord. So like any revolutionary, zealot or pure religious person, death looks to him like a welcome friend.

It is fitting to post this in "Religion and Ethics" with the emphasis on ethics. The pastor has a right to believe as he does, and perhaps even to sacrifice his life for those beliefs. However, he is a charismatic and persuasive person who has a lot of influence with his "flock" Like any group or demographic, you have people who are vulnerable and impressionable who will obey him.

Jonestown
, location of the mass murder-suicide of the California-based Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their charismatic but paranoid leader, Jim Jones, in Jonestown agricultural commune, Guyana, on November 18, 1978. The death toll exceeded 900, making it one of the largest mass deaths in American history.

I am hard pressed to see how Tony Spell is all that different than Jim Jones. Spell uses the power of the pulpit- as did jones- to manipulate and control his followers. Spell is probobly mentally ill, as was Jones and both have or had a need to be in control at all costs.

This guy is a poser and probably a fake too. However I note the long trend of anti-Christians telling Christians:

1. What Jesus knows/thinks/is doing (even though they don't think Jesus is real) and

2. What they should be doing to serve Jesus (even though they don't think Jesus is real)

These so called religious leaders care so little for the health and well being of their "flocks" that they tell them to intentionally risk their health

You're telling him how to serve God, the crazy pastor. Again. Anti-Christians are always quickest to do this: interpret Bible passages, speak for God, tell us what Jesus thinks, etc.

Jonestown

You're telling him how to serve God, the crazy pastor. Again. Anti-Christians are always quickest to do this: interpret Bible passages, speak for God, tell us what Jesus thinks, etc.
I am not telling him anything.

I am merely wondering why he isn't risking his life and health the same way he is telling his sheep to risk theirs.

I never interpreted any bible passages I am basing my observations solely on his behavior.

Anyone who tells others to risk their health should be on the front lines risking his own

Last edited:

Jonestown

Did you know there is a book that documents the teachings of Jesus?
Its called The Bible.
In this book the teachings of Jesus are documented.
When, for example, I say to you thats not what Jesus would approve of you doing, It is based on whats written in the bible.
That added to my personal experience ( 8 years catholic grammer school/altar boy/ 4 years catholic high school/several relatives who were nuns/priests)
Thinking whether or not Jesus was real has nothing to do with it.

Jonestown

Its called The Bible.
When, for example, I say to you thats not what Jesus would approve of you doing, It is based on whats written in the bible.
That added to my personal experience ( 8 years catholic grammer school/altar boy/ 4 years catholic high school/several relatives who were nuns/priests)

If you knew the Bible like my husband knew the Bible coming out the Catholic school--color me unimpressed. He did, however, know the cathecism and everything else Catholic.

I am merely wondering why he isn't risking his life and health the same way he is telling his sheep ti risk theirs.

I never interpreted any bible passages I am basing my observations solely on his behavior.

Anyone who tells others to risk their health should be on the front lines risking his own

How do you know he's not?

BTW, during previous pandemics, clergy didn't lock themselves up in their parsonages cowering in fear. And some of them croaked because of the pestilence.

Jonestown

Its called The Bible.

If you knew the Bible like my husband knew the Bible coming out the Catholic school--color me unimpressed. He did, however, know the cathecism and everything else Catholic.
It's not a question of who knows the Bible better.
Its a question of understanding the teachings of Jesus.

I am merely wondering why he isn't risking his life and health the same way he is telling his sheep ti risk theirs.

BTW, during previous pandemics, clergy didn't lock themselves up in their parsonages cowering in fear. And some of them croaked because of the pestilence.
If he was there'd be proof of it.

If he was he'd be encouraging his sheep to do the same and instead of gathering in a large crowd in his church so he could collect their money he'd be leading them in helping others.

But he'll stand there in his big expensive church on stage 20 feet away from his flock while they are crowded together in the pews

Jonestown

Its called The Bible.

Oh so just understanding the teachings of Jesus. That's it. Like in a theoretical way.

What if Ted Bundy "understood" the teachings of Jesus. Good enough?

If he was he'd be encouraging his sheep to do the same and instead of gathering in a large crowd in his church so he could collect their money he'd be leading them in helping others.

But he'll stand there in his big expensive church on stage 20 feet away from his flock while they are crowded together in the pews

Have you even looked for proof in the matter of this preacher? Or are you just assuming?

Jonestown

Its called The Bible.

Oh so just understanding the teachings of Jesus. That's it. Like in a theoretical way.

Ted Bundy has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion.

Jonestown

Its called The Bible.

Ted Bundy has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion.

So you can't answer. Okay, right.

Have you even looked for proof in the matter of this preacher? Or are you just assuming?

All I see is him telling people to come to church there are no links in the article about him leading volunteer efforts.

As I said behavior is the true measure of a person's beliefs and his behavior of telling people to come to his church and risk their health and the health of their families tells me all I need to know about him.

All I see is him telling people to come to church there are no links in the article about him leading volunteer efforts.

As I said behavior is the true measure of a person's beliefs and his behavior of telling people to come to his church and risk their health and the health of their families tells me all I need to know about him.

The article is a hit piece, not a fair discussion of the man's life. I don't know what this man is doing to help the victims of this pestilence. But your assumption that he is doing "nothing" because of some yellow journalism, is just that, an assumption.

Forum List

Back