Megachurch Pastor Calls On Christians To Defy COVID-19 Guidelines Even If It Means Death

The day that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we will fear no evil for God is with us. Then he said, ‘fear not because I am with you’

And then the Bible teaches us to be absent from our bodies to be present with the Lord. So like any revolutionary, zealot or pure religious person, death looks to him like a welcome friend.

It is fitting to post this in "Religion and Ethics" with the emphasis on ethics. The pastor has a right to believe as he does, and perhaps even to sacrifice his life for those beliefs. However, he is a charismatic and persuasive person who has a lot of influence with his "flock" Like any group or demographic, you have people who are vulnerable and impressionable who will obey him.

In reading this, I could not help but to think of Jonestown:

https://www.britannica.com/event/Jonestown-massacre
Jonestown
, location of the mass murder-suicide of the California-based Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their charismatic but paranoid leader, Jim Jones, in Jonestown agricultural commune, Guyana, on November 18, 1978. The death toll exceeded 900, making it one of the largest mass deaths in American history.

I am hard pressed to see how Tony Spell is all that different than Jim Jones. Spell uses the power of the pulpit- as did jones- to manipulate and control his followers. Spell is probobly mentally ill, as was Jones and both have or had a need to be in control at all costs.

The day that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we will fear no evil for God is with us. Then he said, ‘fear not because I am with you’

And then the Bible teaches us to be absent from our bodies to be present with the Lord. So like any revolutionary, zealot or pure religious person, death looks to him like a welcome friend.

It is fitting to post this in "Religion and Ethics" with the emphasis on ethics. The pastor has a right to believe as he does, and perhaps even to sacrifice his life for those beliefs. However, he is a charismatic and persuasive person who has a lot of influence with his "flock" Like any group or demographic, you have people who are vulnerable and impressionable who will obey him.

Jonestown
, location of the mass murder-suicide of the California-based Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their charismatic but paranoid leader, Jim Jones, in Jonestown agricultural commune, Guyana, on November 18, 1978. The death toll exceeded 900, making it one of the largest mass deaths in American history.

I am hard pressed to see how Tony Spell is all that different than Jim Jones. Spell uses the power of the pulpit- as did jones- to manipulate and control his followers. Spell is probobly mentally ill, as was Jones and both have or had a need to be in control at all costs.

This is one of those non-denominational churches and I can guarantee you this loon is not ordained. So. When the really crazy Muslim sects led by the really crazy imams say their stuff, you're also all over them right?

I am really looking forward to the start of Ramadan on April 23rd

Jonestown

Zackly, Jim Jones is the immediate first thought, What the point of these death-seeking imbeciles of pseudoreligious dystopia might be, boggles the mind.

Of course he has the right to his beliefs whether genuine or not, but that was never in question here. What was/is in question is his "right" to perpetuate a mass pandemic just to sate his own ego. Perhaps the clueless cleric is in need of a refresher course on the Deadly Sin of Pride.

Jonestown

This is one of those non-denominational churches and I can guarantee you this loon is not ordained. So. When the really crazy Muslim sects led by the really crazy imams say their stuff, you're also all over them right?

Tu Quoque Fallacy dismisses itself. Next in line please.

Almighty God held his tremendous Sermon on the Mount before multitudes during a 1st century Leprosy Pandemic.

This isn't "suicide", this is just one preacher's determination that this pandemic is being vastly overhyped.

BTW, Rev. Jim Jones was a devout Religious Leftists in the mold of Jeremiah Wright and Jim Wallis.

Further, categorizing this church as a "megachurch" is inflammatory to say the least. Libs have been denouncing large churches as if that's "bad" somehow.

Jonestown

The Jihadis will gather in big groups to roast their Iftars and libs won't say a thing. Muslims are just a lot higher on the food chain than those of the Judeo-Christian faith.

Jonestown

I am not saying you have NO RIGHT to argue the case. I'm saying your agenda is wholly exposed. Which is not Tu Quoque, you armchair philosopher

Almighty God held his tremendous Sermon on the Mount before multitudes during a 1st century Leprosy Pandemic.

This isn't "suicide", this is just one preacher's determination that this pandemic is being vastly overhyped.

BTW, Rev. Jim Jones was a devout Religious Leftists in the mold of Jeremiah Wright and Jim Wallis.

Further, categorizing this church as a "megachurch" is inflammatory to say the least. Libs have been denouncing large churches as if that's "bad" somehow.

They hate megachurches because that means more Christians.

And they really, really, REALLY hate Christians

Jonestown

No, I do not support any religious death cult and I would and have spoken out against radical Muslims. But most Muslims are not radical, and most Christian are not either as I have readily acknowledged. So stop trying to bait me with your bullshit .

Jonestown

I am not saying you have NO RIGHT to argue the case. I'm saying your agenda is wholly exposed. Which is not Tu Quoque, you armchair philosopher

I don't have an "agenda". Other than pointing out self-suiciding fallacies, as I just did. You're off topic.
Btw I have no need of your "approval" to opine. Buy a ladder and get over yourself.

Jonestown

Apparently you do not understand a Quoque Fallacy

Jonestown

No, I do not support any religious death cult and I would and have spoken out against radical Muslims. But most Muslims are not radical, and most Christian are not either as I have readily acknowledged. So stop trying to bait me with your bullshit .

Okay so let's leave it at this: I don't think it's a good idea to go to church at this time depending especially on where you are. It's Good Friday. My church is having a virtual prayer meeting in an hour. But no church time meeting together.

However, Americans of faith have the RIGHT to meet together even if others think that's imprudent.

Jonestown

I don't have an "agenda". Other than pointing out self-suiciding fallacies, as I just did. You're off topic.
Btw I have no need of your "approval" to opine. Buy a ladder and get over yourself.

Oh I'm sure, like all mindless Leftists, you defend Muslims to the nth degree. So yes, a definite agenda, even if it makes a flaming hypocrite of you.

Well then, go right ahead and attend his service and breath deeply and often while there

Jonestown

I think most of you are missing the boat. It's not about the pastor. Its about standing up for what you believe in.

Jonestown

Apparently you do not understand a Quoque Fallacy

I know Internet Philosophers shout "FALLACY" as if anyone here is trying to construct philosophical arguments.

Jonestown

Okay so let's leave it at this: I don't think it's a good idea to go to church at this time depending especially on where you are. It's Good Friday. My church is having a virtual prayer meeting in an hour. But no church time meeting together.

However, Americans of faith have the RIGHT to meet together even if others think that's imprudent.

Do you also think that Americans have the right to run red lights and not use seat belts? It's not just about the health of people who are defying social distancing. It's about all of those who might get sick because of them, not to mention the emotional devastation of those close to them and the economic impact on the rest of us.

Jonestown

I think most of you are missing the boat. It's not about the pastor. Its about standing up for what you believe in.

And what exactly do you believe in?

Forum List

Back