McDonald's to trick more fat people

Dec 3, 2003
Fayetteville
McDonald's Launches Healthier Menu Items
Thu Apr 15,11:47 AM ET Add Health - AP to My Yahoo!

By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer

CHICAGO - Coming soon to a McDonald's near you: Adult Happy Meals, featuring salad, bottled water, pedometer and advice to walk more.

The hamburger giant outlined plans Thursday to introduce the "Go Active!" meals for grown-ups at all 13,500 of its U.S. restaurants May 6 along with other steps designed to make its fare — and its image — more healthy.

A target of obesity lawsuits and a magnet for criticism that fast food is bad for you, McDonald's Corp. also launched a marketing blitz to address health issues head-on and tout new diet-conscious options at its outlets.

As part of the campaign, the company said that in June it will roll out healthier choices in its Happy Meals for kids nationwide, such as the option to substitute apple slices and juice for fries and soft drink.

It also will distribute brochures telling customers how to modify their McDonald's orders for lower fat, calories and carbohydrates, such as by skipping the cheese or bun. The promotion has been employed at its New York-region restaurants since January.

Also new will be lowfat salad dressing, a fourth variety of salad, and nutrition information for Happy Meal packages starting in test markets. The company said the latter comes in response to a call by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (news - web sites) this year for the private sector to help fight obesity.

HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson lauded McDonald's for promoting balanced eating and exercise and committing to "taking a lead role by helping educate its customers on this seriously important health issue."

The announcement and a presentation by McDonald's executives at the National Press Club in Washington signaled the company's biggest public-relations push yet on obesity and diet concerns that are forcing sweeping changes in the U.S. food and restaurant industries.

The fast food industry has been under pressure from consumer groups and the government to give more nutritional information and promote healthier eating.

McDonald's introduced entree salads in the United States about a year ago, helping to spur a surge in long-lagging U.S. sales, and has been moving to add some healthier options to its restaurants worldwide, including salads in Europe this spring. The company introduced white-meat chicken nuggets late last year and is phasing out super-sizing by the end of 2004.

Its competitors, too, have been taking steps to respond to changing consumer concerns. Wendy's added entree salads well before McDonald's did, and Burger King started promoting bunless burgers in January, following the lead of smaller chains Hardee's and Carl's Jr.

Blaming McDonald's for Americans' rising obesity and physical inactivity is "not reflective of reality," Mike Roberts, president of the company's U.S. operations, said in an interview.

"But it's part of what we're dealing with as a country right now, and we've got to lead" by providing lots of choices and educating consumers about them, he said. "We're very concerned about our customers' well-being."

Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, credited McDonald's with taking "some small steps in the right direction" Thursday but said they don't go nearly far enough.

"If McDonald's wanted to improve the public's health, in addition to providing the salads and bottled water it could stop using partially hydrogenated oils in its fries, which contain trans fats and are a powerful promoter of heart disease," he said. "They also could lower the fat content of their burgers, use lowfat cheese, provide more baked food instead of fried food and lower the sodium content of their foods."

McDonald's promised two years ago to adopt a healthier cooking oil for its fries but Roberts said testing has yet to produce an appropriate replacement.

The Oak Brook, Ill.-based company signed up fitness whiz Bob Greene to showcase its healthy-lifestyle campaign. Greene's tips promoting walking will be included in a pamphlet with the Adult Happy Meals, and he embarks Tuesday on a 38-day walking and biking tour from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C.

McDonald's ordered 50 million pedometers for the promotion and will be donating some to schools.

Shares in the company fell 34 cents to $26.66 in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040415/ap_on_he_me/mcdonald_s_health
---------------------------------------------------
When will people learn that eating a salad covered in dressing, cheese, and bacon isn't healthy?

McDonald's to trick more fat people

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
When will people learn that eating a salad covered in dressing, cheese, and bacon isn't healthy?

When will people learn how to make good choices?

Why arent they getting a flame broiled whopper with lettuce and tomato?

The point here is that it isn't the fault of the food store, it is the consumer ignorance.

You cannot legislate intelligence.

Originally posted by NewGuy
When will people learn how to make good choices?

Why arent they getting a flame broiled whopper with lettuce and tomato?

The point here is that it isn't the fault of the food store, it is the consumer ignorance.

You cannot legislate intelligence.

100% RWA Certified Acceptable Post.

See newby, it's all better now.

Originally posted by acludem
For once we agree New Guy. New Guy? Get off the floor...I know you're faking that heart attack!

:D

acludem

I am!

I think the fast food places are as bad as cigarette companies, actually, in about 10 years the number of deaths due to being overweight will surpass those of tobacco related deaths.

The consumers are mostly ignorant, as was the case with tobacco, and I think that the gov't should put the info out there for everyone to see, because the fast food companies never will. I don't think that the gov't should regulate or in anyway decide what the people eat, just inform them.

For once we agree New Guy. New Guy? Get off the floor...I know you're faking that heart attack!

acludem

New guy. Newguy? New guy! oh my god. SOmeone do something about new guy. he's convulsing, he's convulsing

nurse we're losing him check the pulse
these are the results of a thousand electric volts....

At what point did McDonald's become in charge of "improving the public's health"?

With respect to tobacco, that's different considering that nicotine has been proven to be physically addictive. All the same, if people smoke cigarettes and get cancer that's their own fault. Tobacco companies sell a legal product.

Same with gun manufacturers.

These are all manifestations of excessive litigation and the resulting unconstitutional rulings.

Thank god there are more people in law school than there are practicing lawyers.......

I personally don't think McDonald's should change anything. How many years have they been around? I mean,if your fat,it's not only becuase you ate McDonalds. This stuff is so ridiculous I can't even stand it. What next? Picking in the candy companies? ,the coffee companies,the pop companies? You would have to go after every company that makes a food that is bad for you to justify these people wanting Mc's to make healthier food and want to sue them. We all grew up on them and no one from our time would even consider blaming them for being fat. You eat what you want-government and lawyers-stay out of it:mad:

This one always puts me in the conservative camp. I think the lawsuits filed against tobacco companies were ridiculous. I think the suits filed by fat people againsts Mickey D's were even more ridiculous.

We've known for more than 50 years that people who smoked a lot tended to get sick and die younger than those who didn't. We've also known for a long time that if you eat greasy, high fat, high calorie food in large quantities all the time (unless you are one of those damn annoying skinny people with a metabolism higher than the Sears Tower) you will probably get fat.

acludem

This one always puts me in the conservative camp. I think the lawsuits filed against tobacco companies were ridiculous. I think the suits filed by fat people againsts Mickey D's were even more ridiculous.

We've known for more than 50 years that people who smoked a lot tended to get sick and die younger than those who didn't. We've also known for a long time that if you eat greasy, high fat, high calorie food in large quantities all the time (unless you are one of those damn annoying skinny people with a metabolism higher than the Sears Tower) you will probably get fat.

acludem

I agree.

If you can't breathe by sticking your head over a campfire, why would you want to put one in your mouth?

Same thing with fast food:

If you have to cook the oil at 120 degrees +, how can it liquify in the veins (or keep from solidifying at 98 degrees?

These people need help.

I want to grow into a fat old man from eating McDonalds cheeseburgers and french fries - and that's my right! :D

Originally posted by jimnyc
I want to grow into a fat old man from eating McDonalds cheeseburgers and french fries - and that's my right! :D

You and me both.

-But we don't complain we couldn't figure out how it happened and blame the fast food chains either!

Originally posted by NewGuy
You and me both.

-But we don't complain we couldn't figure out how it happened and blame the fast food chains either!

Exactly. I love to eat White Castle burgers too, and you have to be literally brain dead to not know those things are lethal!

Originally posted by jimnyc
Exactly. I love to eat White Castle burgers too, and you have to be literally brain dead to not know those things are lethal!

The list of ingredients on those things is longer than the one on a twinkie.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
I think the fast food places are as bad as cigarette companies, actually, in about 10 years the number of deaths due to being overweight will surpass those of tobacco related deaths.

The consumers are mostly ignorant, as was the case with tobacco, and I think that the gov't should put the info out there for everyone to see, because the fast food companies never will. I don't think that the gov't should regulate or in anyway decide what the people eat, just inform them.

Sorry, but Americans are quite stupid to point their fingers at anyone but themselves.
How little common sense it takes in the human brain to figure out that fast food places are about fast profits than serving the public well.
McDonalds is no more responsible for the obesity in this country than Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, Wendys, Frito Lay, Little Debbies - shall I go on?

At what point does someone reach a point in their life when they realize the road they are traveling does them no good? Firing a nasty finger at major corporations does no good at all...as long as you people are spending your hard earned dollar on them why should they care?

If you want to be healthy, live healthy. Exersize, eat right and honestly if you dont know how, learn to. Its your life, not McDonalds...if you keep blaming businesses for your health problems than you have handed control of your life to them.

Please, you are giving me a headache!

acludem

There's hope for you yet acludem! :D

Forum List

Back