Maybe, just maybe,that felony conviction of yours will no longer keep you from owning a gun.

I had a stepfather when I was younger who took great delight in beating on my mother, my sister, and myself anytime he had a bad day. Usually it was my mother that took the majority of the beatings, and one of the things he said to her while he was beating her was to ask her why she caused him to beat her. And no, the spouse generally never asks for it, and if a person is any kind of a real adult, before the fists start flying and bodies get thrown across the room, they can leave for a while to calm down and cool off.
I have cousins and more distant relatives who have connections in the community to pull strings, bring false accusations with false allegations of mental illness, and play other life-ruining tricks on me.

You sound like a victim of gang stalking.

If your felony conviction did not involve violence you may soon be able to buy a gun again and who knows, they may even strike down other barriers..like domestic raps...for stalking etc....Justice Barrett's Vote Could Tilt the Supreme Court on Gun Rights

Go read the gun laws in Texas and discovered after so many years ( I believe ten ) a former felon can apply for a firearm permit but only felons that are not of violent crimes.

Violent Crime felons should never be allow to own one and I am very pro second amendment...

You should lose your right to vote and own a firearm if you were convicted of a violent crime...

You can also own firearms in Texas if you're a felon as long as it wasnt a violent crime if you keep them in your home for self defense.

as it wasnt a violent crime
Allegations of mental illness are not criminal convictions because no proof other than the professional opinion of a psychiatrist is necessary to revoke gun rights for life; and once revoked, there is no defense, no appeal, and no recourse to the rights. Numerous other civil rights are also foreclosed along with gun rights including the rights to work and to obtain a passport.

as it wasnt a violent crime
Allegations of mental illness are not criminal convictions because no proof other than the professional opinion of a psychiatrist is necessary to revoke gun rights for life; and once revoked, there is no defense, no appeal, and no recourse to the rights. Numerous other civil rights are also foreclosed along with gun rights including the rights to work and to obtain a passport.

Thats true enough in some states.
But not in Texas.

If your felony conviction did not involve violence you may soon be able to buy a gun again and who knows, they may even strike down other barriers..like domestic raps...for stalking etc....Justice Barrett's Vote Could Tilt the Supreme Court on Gun Rights

Go read the gun laws in Texas and discovered after so many years ( I believe ten ) a former felon can apply for a firearm permit but only felons that are not of violent crimes.

Violent Crime felons should never be allow to own one and I am very pro second amendment...

You should lose your right to vote and own a firearm if you were convicted of a violent crime...

You can also own firearms in Texas if you're a felon as long as it wasnt a violent crime if you keep them in your home for self defense.

I know long rifle which includes shotguns have different rules than side arms and I have to read the current laws but I have no issue with non-violent Felons obtaining a long rifle for house protection but I do not want a violent offender owning one...

People make mistakes and people sometimes deserve a second chance ( only one second chance! ) but those that kill, attempt to kill, rape or other violent crimes like spousal abuse and child abuse that land you in prison or probation that give you a felony charge should lose their right to vote and allow to own a firearm...

Not to mention, military personnel are often "laid off" during periods of downsizing in the U.S. Armed Forces — and receive various classifications of discharge other than the full honors of active combat as a war hero under enemy fire — and sometimes even a fully "honorable discharge" from the military isn't enough for a veteran to retain the right to keep and bear arms under current legal constructions of the constitution.

You don't know much about the military and how it works, do you? I was a Personnelman for 20 years in the Navy, meaning I handled all the paperwork for the command personnel. If a person was "laid off" as you say, their discharge is based on what their evaluations average out to over the course of their enlistment. In order to get anything other than an Honorable, or a General Under Honorable Conditions, you have to be a real screw up, and chances are, your command wouldn't have recommended you for reenlistment anyway. And, even if the veteran did get an Honorable, that doesn't have much bearing one way or the other as to their ability to own guns. If they screw up after they get out (violent crime, etc.), there is nothing about an Honorable discharge that will save them.

As far as the "laying off"? The military first offers various programs for those who WANT to get out. Then, when they need to, they can raise the standards and those who don't meet them are refused permission to reenlist.

You would be surprised as to what is a considered a felony. Shooting the wrong type of duck while on hunt ,is a felony. You lose ,gun ,auto. drivers license, voting rights. and a lot of other things.
There is a reason for those laws with regard to endangered species. It is too harsh, although some of these punishments should be for a period of time.

If a person was "laid off" as you say, their discharge is based on what their evaluations average out to over the course of their enlistment
Thank you. I got GPA'ed in grade school, and pay-graded and wage-suppressed for very low-paid part time office assistant work with bachelor's degrees in mathematics and computer science. I wasn't qualified for anything else with a 3.0 college GPA, and I never made enough to pay own rent and transportation to and from work.
And, even if the veteran did get an Honorable, that doesn't have much bearing one way or the other as to their ability to own guns
Except for the fact that it's dishonorable even to question the right of a veteran or any other citizen to bear arms, regardless of any history of military service, rank, status, or classification of the discharge.

I suffered the extreme externalities and side effects of some of what you say, well outside the jurisdiction of military, but what you say smacks of "the usual" multinational megacorporate middle management syndrome.

The libs really opened the door on this by giving felons the right to vote. Its tough to close the barn door now, the precedent is set.
Weee difference between voting rights for felons and gun ownership for felons...fine line but's it's there.
There is no difference. If challenged i suspect you might see why

I got a felony for a pot plant and I never gave up gun ownership and will never surrender.
They also tried to ruin me economically but they couldn't because I would not let them. As far as I am concerned they can all go to hell I will never surrender

If a person was "laid off" as you say, their discharge is based on what their evaluations average out to over the course of their enlistment
Thank you. I got GPA'ed in grade school, and pay-graded and wage-suppressed for very low-paid part time office assistant work with bachelor's degrees in mathematics and computer science. I wasn't qualified for anything else with a 3.0 college GPA, and I never made enough to pay own rent and transportation to and from work.
And, even if the veteran did get an Honorable, that doesn't have much bearing one way or the other as to their ability to own guns
Except for the fact that it's dishonorable even to question the right of a veteran or any other citizen to bear arms, regardless of any history of military service, rank, status, or classification of the discharge.

I suffered the extreme externalities and side effects of some of what you say, well outside the jurisdiction of military, but what you say smacks of "the usual" multinational megacorporate middle management syndrome.

Not if you get a Bad Conduct or a Dishonorable discharge. And, believe me, a person has to actually work hard to sink that low. And, if you tell a potential employer that you are a veteran, they generally ask to see your DD214 (discharge papers). And, your evaluation average is NOTHING like a GPA. It reflects how well you performed your duties, and it includes stuff like military bearing, what you know, and how you do it. Has zero to do with grades.

Not if you get a Bad Conduct or a Dishonorable discharge. And, believe me, a person has to actually work hard to sink that low. And, if you tell a potential employer that you are a veteran, they generally ask to see your DD214 (discharge papers). And, your evaluation average is NOTHING like a GPA. It reflects how well you performed your duties, and it includes stuff like military bearing, what you know, and how you do it. Has zero to do with grades.
If you know how to open a manual to a certain page.

Nope. Stalking conviction gets a lifetime ban from owning a firearm.
Petty misdemeanors we can talk about..but felonies? They usually involve violence...or the threat of violence.
I don't want people like that anywhere near a gun..legal or not.

Wrong, there are all sorts of non-violent felonies....

But you're all for restoring felon's rights aren't you?? As long as they vote for your party.. So rights have to be USEFUL towards political purposes? What felon is gonna vote for "law and order" RIGHT???

I find it pretty petty to pick on gun rights when there's NO INDICATION that this would ever come up to the SupCt.. If anyone in politics REALLY wanted to help felons more they want their vote -- they'd have a "pathway to citizenship" for reformed felons as a full out priority..

Speak for yourself, Mr. Representative for Felons and Criminals. I passed a thorough criminal background check to obtain my carry permit. Felons should never be allowed firearms, nor should drug-users.

LEGAL drug users? Or ILLEGAL drug users or both? Don't want to go down that road. Because "mental capacity" is an illusion designated by frauds with Psychology degrees who HAND OUT drugs like candy..

Felons SHOULD have a path for recovering citizenship.. Not an EASY ONE -- like dancing thru the cactus into American illegally and getting free stuff for life.. But a REASONABLE way to recover ALL their rights after time and effort..

Forum List

Back