Matthew 6:5-8

Yes... I agree with Newby too... and not just because i'm a Steelers fan(go Steelers!). God knows what is in our hearts and our souls. He knows who is going through the motions for their own purposes and who is praying for the glory of God.

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

How does this apply to the insistence of religious conservatives on public prayer in secular settings?

When you go into a bar or restaurant do you spit you drink on the person next to you? Same thing here.

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

How does this apply to the insistence of religious conservatives on public prayer in secular settings?

When you go into a bar or restaurant do you spit you drink on the person next to you? Same thing here.

How is that the same thing? Actually, spitting your drink on the person next to you would be the equivalent of public prayer in a secular setting.

How is that the same thing? Actually, spitting your drink on the person next to you would be the equivalent of public prayer in a secular setting.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that was the idea that Syrenn was attempting to convey.

Immie

Note: 99.99% is not = 100%

Biblical? No.

Its just people of different faiths praying together to their god(s).

Why would you wish to engage in a behavior that directly contradicts your savior's directions on how to pray?

I think the verse is outlining the reasons behind praying boastfully in public, to bring attention to yourself or for boastful resons is wrong. Marie explained it quite well I thought. I don't think it has to do with being public about your prayer, but rather why you're being public with your prayer. Bowing your head in public in prayer hardly fits the description shown in the scripture. My family, whenever we are at a public restaurant, always bow our heads in a quiet prayer before we eat. We aren't bothering anyone or forcing anyone else to particpate. I see nothing wrong with it, it's about giving thanks.

no one has said a thing about christians giving thanks in public.....it is when you cross over and insist everyone pray to your god that we object

Why would you wish to engage in a behavior that directly contradicts your savior's directions on how to pray?

I think the verse is outlining the reasons behind praying boastfully in public, to bring attention to yourself or for boastful resons is wrong. Marie explained it quite well I thought. I don't think it has to do with being public about your prayer, but rather why you're being public with your prayer. Bowing your head in public in prayer hardly fits the description shown in the scripture. My family, whenever we are at a public restaurant, always bow our heads in a quiet prayer before we eat. We aren't bothering anyone or forcing anyone else to particpate. I see nothing wrong with it, it's about giving thanks.

no one has said a thing about christians giving thanks in public.....it is when you cross over and insist everyone pray to your god that we object

Sorry, but in my 40+ years of life as a christian, I've never seen that happen. And no one can 'insist' that you do anything in public. I think this gets totally over exaggerated out of proportion because otherwise there would be no point to make here. Even at a public cermemony or event of some kind, you don't have to participate in anything that's going on, let alone a prayer.

Sorry, but in my 40+ years of life as a christian, I've never seen that happen. And no one can 'insist' that you do anything in public. I think this gets totally over exaggerated out of proportion because otherwise there would be no point to make here. Even at a public cermemony or event of some kind, you don't have to participate in anything that's going on, let alone a prayer.

there is no need for religious activities at a secular event...simple as that....

there is no need for religious activities at a secular event...simple as that....

Guess what, it's a free country and you don't get to tell people when and where they can do things. And it's a free country in that you don't have to participate with them when they do things. Pretty simple, actually. You don't have a right to not be offended, sorry.

Sorry, but in my 40+ years of life as a christian, I've never seen that happen. Even at a public cermemony or event of some kind, you don't have to participate in anything that's going on, let alone a prayer.

So, if I'm at my child's graduation, if I don't want to hear an explicitly Christian prayer, I should just leave?

How do you think Jesus would handle this?

Sorry, but in my 40+ years of life as a christian, I've never seen that happen. Even at a public cermemony or event of some kind, you don't have to participate in anything that's going on, let alone a prayer.

So, if I'm at my child's graduation, if I don't want to hear an explicitly Christian prayer, I should just leave?

How do you think Jesus would handle this?

If you want to teach your child intolerance and get upset over something so silly, then I suppose you should do whatever you feel is right. Free speech should not be violated because some people are offended by what other's may say. As I said, I think it's being blown way out of proportion here, and it has to be in order for any point to even remotely be made. When's the last time you went to any activity at your child's school and heard a prayer?? I'm guessing never.

If you want to teach your child intolerance and get upset over something so silly, then I suppose you should do whatever you feel is right. Free speech should not be violated because some people are offended by what other's may say. As I said, I think it's being blown way out of proportion here, and it has to be in order for any point to even remotely be made. When's the last time you went to any activity at your child's school and heard a prayer?? I'm guessing never.

I've heard them occasionally, we live in the deep south.

Do you really think that Jesus would force this issue?

I've heard them occasionally, we live in the deep south.

Do you really think that Jesus would force this issue?

I don't care where you live, I would guess that if anything remotely religious were done at a public school, it would have been made into a huge deal. Tolerance isn't such a nice word when it's expected of those who preach it, that's been my experience.

I don't speak for Jesus, and I really think it's a silly question to ask to begin with.

seems you show little tolerance for others....i do not want to hear your prayers say them to yourself....i do not force my prayers on others why should yours be forced on me

do not confuse freedom of speech with the ability to force your dogma on others

I don't care where you live, I would guess that if anything remotely religious were done at a public school, it would have been made into a huge deal. Tolerance isn't such a nice word when it's expected of those who preach it, that's been my experience.

I don't speak for Jesus, and I really think it's a silly question to ask to begin with.

You think the "What Would Jesus Do" question is silly? Why exactly are you a Christian, then, if you don't want to take up your cross and follow him?

Every year, there is a Christmas concert at my daughter's school. 75-80% of the music performed is religious in nature (Christian). I have yet to get up and walk out. I'm extremely tolerant. People offer prayers at government meetings, I don't bow my head, but I sit quietly and respectfully until they finish. I always wonder, though, why they feel it is necessary to engage in this behavior.

And, I'm curious that you apparently don't care to follow your savior's advice on this subject.

Is your religion about you? Or about God?

Last edited:
seems you show little tolerance for others....i do not want to hear your prayers say them to yourself....i do not force my prayers on others why should yours be forced on me

do not confuse freedom of speech with the ability to force your dogma on others

I've never said any prayers around you, so I think you're having delusions, dear. :razz:

seems you show little tolerance for others....i do not want to hear your prayers say them to yourself....i do not force my prayers on others why should yours be forced on me?

I wonder how Newby would feel if she was forced to sit through this before meetings:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-NnND5C4Q]The Charge of the Goddess ~ Doreen Valiente - YouTube[/ame]

You think the "What Would Jesus Do" question is silly? Why exactly are you a Christian, then, if you don't want to take up your cross and follow him?

Every year, there is a Christmas concert at my daughter's school. 75-80% of the music performed is religious in nature (Christian). I have yet to get up and walk out. I'm extremely tolerant. People offer prayers at government meetings, I don't bow my head, but I sit quietly and respectfully until they finish. I always wonder, though, why they feel it is necessary to engage in this behavior.

And, I'm curious that you apparently don't care to follow your savior's advice on this subject.

Is your religion about you? Or about God?

Are you judging me and how I follow my religion now, Catz?? Seriously? :lol:

As I've explained, you don't interpret my religion accurately or in context, so why do you feel the need to question whether or not I'm following 'my religion' correctly. I haven't preached to you, shoved 'my religion' down your throat, or anything even remotely close to that on this board. Yet here you are badgering me about it. Tell me who is the intolerant one here and who is shoving their beliefs down someone's throat? Cause it sure as hell isn't me.

Are you judging me and how I follow my religion now, Catz?? Seriously? :lol:

As I've explained, you don't interpret my religion accurately or in context, so why do you feel the need to question whether or not I'm following 'my religion' correctly. I haven't preached to you, shoved 'my religion' down your throat, or anything even remotely close to that on this board. Yet here you are badgering me about it. Tell me who is the intolerant one here and who is shoving their beliefs down someone's throat? Cause it sure as hell isn't me.

Feel free to explain to me how I've misinterpreted this passage. I accepted Jesus when I was 6. I grew up in Christianity, I attended a Christian college, and I taught youth and adult Sunday School classes for 15 years. I am no longer a Christian, but that doesn't mean that I haven't spent years studying and teaching from the Bible.

I just find your posts more and more curious. It's interesting to me that Christianity is supposed to be about Jesus and his teachings (see OP), but Christians often ignore those teachings when they conflict with what you want to do/see/experience.

This thread is about whether public prayers are in line with Christ's teachings. And, ironically, that appears to be the one subject you don't want to talk about.

Last edited:
Praying at an event, meeting, whatever has gone on for years and years...i don't know when it started, but it's become almost natural to do. Until recent years i've never heard any objections to it. Most people that aren't religious just sit quietly until it's over then go about their business. I don't believe in shoving my Christian beliefs down anyone's throat. Nobody forces anybody to pray along with them. What i'd like to know is, why should Christians NOT pray at an event just because there's some people there that don't believe?? Where does the line get drawn? Why should i not pray because someone else doesn't want to? Like i said, maybe the best thing to do is ask everyone to sit in silence, or meditation, for a minute...then those that want to pray in silence can, and the others can sit there an think about whatever they want. Of course some people will complain about that too just because they know some of us are actually praying!!!

Praying at an event, meeting, whatever has gone on for years and years...i don't know when it started, but it's become almost natural to do. Until recent years i've never heard any objections to it. Most people that aren't religious just sit quietly until it's over then go about their business. I don't believe in shoving my Christian beliefs down anyone's throat. Nobody forces anybody to pray along with them. What i'd like to know is, why should Christians NOT pray at an event just because there's some people there that don't believe?? Where does the line get drawn? Why should i not pray because someone else doesn't want to? Like i said, maybe the best thing to do is ask everyone to sit in silence, or meditation, for a minute...then those that want to pray in silence can, and the others can sit there an think about whatever they want. Of course some people will complain about that too just because they know some of us are actually praying!!!

This is not the thread you are looking for. This thread is about whether public prayers are scriptural. In other words, it isn't about YOUR opinions about public prayers, but about Christ's opinions about public prayers. Do you have any insights into the actual topic?

Forum List

Back