Many paths...one God?

So you have never bought any product that performed as good or better than advertised? All advertising is false?
All advertising is exaggeration geared to get you to buy a product nothing else. It doesn't matter if that product actually is better than another.

Have you ever been in a store that has no brands you recognize? It makes shopping an entirely different experience.

The things people agree on are the most acceptable behaviors to society.

I don't think that these things were dictated to people by gods but rather cam about via the very messy processes of human and societal evolution.
But that makes you an atheist. And you are overlooking the fact that societies evolved in different directions all over the world, and people were separated, ignorant on what society was like in other continents. And all end up with religions that dictate a certain way to be, a lifemanual, that goes against human instincts and desires. Against freeflowing evolution if you will. So that is peculier to many religious people around the world. Do most atheists not ponder this?

But we're speaking of an omnipotent god who can create entire universes not some lab experiment.

If the omnipotent god wanted people to follow his word and worship him it should be an easy thing to give everyone the same instructions
Why would such a God want worship ? What is the value of it ? And why bother to create at all, it had to lessen the power of said God not increase it. Finally, in regards to this tiny planet, why not give the people of Earth one language and write in stone on every mountain in this world it's instructions for servitude to every human being on the planet.

Religion fascinates me, in part because there are so many common threads in all the faiths. Perhaps we are like the tale of the blind man and tbe elephant, each of us only able to discern a small portion of what is God. For some, we need an intermediary... like a prophet to show us a path. For others, it is a self-paced journey.

For commonalities...we all know the Golden Rule, and all religions seem to have some version of this. It makes sense, if we followed it, we would be a better society.

But another commonality exists that is interesting: the acquisition of forbidden knowledge.

In some, this is represented by the acquisition of fire (which in actuality was a major turning point in human development. The Greek Promethius defied Zeus and stole fire to give to man. Across the world, a continent away, Coyote, Rabbit and Crow stoke the fire.

For the Abrahamic faiths, it was Eve and the Apple...which you have to admit kind of sucks, forever blaming Woman for Man’s inability to control himself.

In all cases though...there is a punishment for loss of innocence and it usually involves a seperation from the divine even as it separates humanity from his fellow animals.

Food for thought.
I don't understand what "Food" this is.

You have a higher power dealing with underlings. Of course this will most likely be an issue.

Is this some attempt to poke an obtuse hole in religions, based on the fact that they are all not 100% entirely unique? That would be very silly.

But that makes you an atheist. And you are overlooking the fact that societies evolved in different directions all over the world, and people were separated, ignorant on what society was like in other continents. And all end up with religions that dictate a certain way to be, a lifemanual, that goes against human instincts and desires. Against freeflowing evolution if you will. So that is peculier to many religious people around the world. Do most atheists not ponder this?
No I don't deny the possibility that gods may exist.

If they do I don't think they really care one way or another about us.

And people aren't as different as we like to believe. In fact we are far more alike than we want to admit.

Why would such a God want worship ? What is the value of it ? And why bother to create at all, it had to lessen the power of said God not increase it. Finally, in regards to this tiny planet, why not give the people of Earth one language and write in stone on every mountain in this world it's instructions for servitude to every human being on the planet.
Why would a god need to be worshiped at all?

So all the various religious books that are the word of the one god are nothing but advertisements? Haven't we all learned that advertising and truth are antithetical?

The thing is there is no way to investigate the claims in any religious texts.
The " Church " did so in 325 A.D. and they all declared Arianism to be illegal; with the backing of the peregrinus Flavius Valerius Constantine's Christians completed the transition from being persecuted peoples of the Roman Empire to being tolerated all the way to the status of state religion and the power to persecute those who had persecuted them. And of course they gladly did this too in the name of their God. Helena, Constantine's mother was made saint upon her death per Constantine's request. The great relic treasure of her quest to the Holy Lands being buried with her in plain sight, again at Constantine's request. The sarcophagus once housed in the Ad Duas Lauros, it's powers now hidden from the world in plain sight of the millions who visit Lateran. Safe in the arms of the " Church ". A Testament to the power of religion.

All advertising is exaggeration geared to get you to buy a product nothing else. It doesn't matter if that product actually is better than another.

Have you ever been in a store that has no brands you recognize? It makes shopping an entirely different experience.

Is all advertising false?

Do all companies lie about their products?

No I don't deny the possibility that gods may exist.

If they do I don't think they really care one way or another about us.

And people aren't as different as we like to believe. In fact we are far more alike than we want to admit.
That makes you atheist. You confuse it with agnostic. that is the ones that dismiss God outright. atheist are neverknowers. I know, been both of them. I am different

Why would a god need to be worshiped at all?
The Commandment says to put God first and not to take His name in vain (in pointless, useless ways). The etymology of worship is to acknowledge worth, value.

'Worship' is not for God, but for people to reflect upon the worth and value of God by placing Him first in our lives.

It makes more sense than a god telling different people that he wants different things.
It does not, any more than it makes sense for a parent to tell all children to wash the dishes when there are other chores to be done as well. Further, a parent is likely to assign a specific chore to the child most suited to it--or to teach a child how to do it.

No one likes being put into a box of who they are or who they should be. Or do you? I do not, and I very much doubt a supreme being would like it either.

It appears you have, in your own mind, created an image of what you believe God should be. The reality is far from that imagining. Give it a chance.

The Commandment says to put God first and not to take His name in vain (in pointless, useless ways). The etymology of worship is to acknowledge worth, value.

'Worship' is not for God, but for people to reflect upon the worth and value of God by placing Him first in our lives.
If it's not for god then why is it part of the bible which is supposed to be the word of a god?

And there are statues, carved images, of Jesus in every Christian church I have ever been in that seems to be a pretty blatant violation of the Second Commandment, no?

It does not, any more than it makes sense for a parent to tell all children to wash the dishes when there are other chores to be done as well. Further, a parent is likely to assign a specific chore to the child most suited to it--or to teach a child how to do it.

No one likes being put into a box of who they are or who they should be. Or do you? I do not, and I very much doubt a supreme being would like it either.

It appears you have, in your own mind, created an image of what you believe God should be. The reality is far from that imagining. Give it a chance.
Another poor analogy. Your eternal soul doesn't depend on whether you do the dishes before you empty the trash.

And I have no image of any gods in my mind because I don't know whether any gods exist or not.

Forum List

Back