Many paths...one God?

And there are statues, carved images, of Jesus in every Christian church I have ever been in that seems to be a pretty blatant violation of the Second Commandment, no?
Let's not confuse art with a lucky rabbit's foot. The rule against graven images relate to carved images that were thought to carry the power of the reality. For example, a lion might exemplify the courage and ferocity of a lion, and was carried or worshiped for that reason. The power of the creature, via the image, was transferred to the person who worshiped it.

Ever read the description of the Ark of the Covenant? Lots of art there, so ancient man clearly understood the distinction between art and worshiping a totem (graven image).

Another poor analogy. Your eternal soul doesn't depend on whether you do the dishes before you empty the trash.
Someone missing the point of the analogy does not make it a bad analogy. I was addressing the complaint that God doesn't tell everyone the exact same thing. I am sure you understand.

I don't think that's true at all.
And that's fine. I am a witness to the fact is true, but not that anyone has to accept my word for it. All can discover this on his/her own if they wish to put forth the effort. And many don't.

Let's not confuse art with a lucky rabbit's foot. The rule against graven images relate to carved images that were thought to carry the power of the reality. For example, a lion might exemplify the courage and ferocity of a lion, and was carried or worshiped for that reason. The power of the creature, via the image, was transferred to the person who worshiped it.

Ever read the description of the Ark of the Covenant? Lots of art there, so ancient man clearly understood the distinction between art and worshiping a totem (graven image).
Seems to me you're adding your own meaning to the commandment.

If it is indeed the very word of a god should't it be up for interpretation?

Haven't you been describing what God should do or should not do? That implies an imagined picture of God.
No I am merely questioning the motives of the god in a religious text.

Why does an all powerful all knowing being have a need to be worshiped by its creations?

Why does an omnipotent being say that it is a jealous god?

What does an all powerful being have to be jealous of?

Seems to me you're adding your own meaning to the commandment.

If it is indeed the very word of a god should't it be up for interpretation?
Going back to the original language, culture, history prevents the modern Western culture's influence and the later English interpretations.

The interpretation I prefer is the original author's intent for his original audience. There is value in reinterpreting something (for example farm analogies to industrial analogies) which people may relate more readily today. Still, my preference is the original intent to the original audience.

English, a subjective language, evolves and changes whereas Hebrew (a picturesque language) has remained static over time.

No I am merely questioning the motives of the god in a religious text.
You are questioning your assigned motives to a religious text of which you have very little understanding. Thus the conversation is more like one of us discussing football while the other is discussing gardening.

Why does an omnipotent being say that it is a jealous god?
Jealousy is bound to faithfulness and fidelity. In other words, following the ways of God cannot be a part-time occupation, where some days we do and some days we don't.

For example, if someone want to train to be an Olympic athlete, it cannot be an on again, off again endeavor. The same is true with our close relationships with people, and certainly with God: Faithfulness and fidelity is required in following the ways of God. If we are not faithful to His ways we will not achieve the desired results.

The people that god killed didn't feel like god was pure love.
The culture of the day: God 'kills' everyone sooner or later. Some are killed by floods, some by illness, some by war, some by old age, etc. Everything is ruled by the will of God. Who created a world where floods and other natural disasters occur? Those who believe God created all also believe He is ultimately the cause of everything. In modern culture, we generally stop at the direct killer--natural disaster, cancer, gunshot wound.

Going back to the original language, culture, history prevents the modern Western culture's influence and the later English interpretations.

The interpretation I prefer is the original author's intent for his original audience. There is value in reinterpreting something (for example farm analogies to industrial analogies) which people may relate more readily today. Still, my preference is the original intent to the original audience.

English, a subjective language, evolves and changes whereas Hebrew (a picturesque language) has remained static over time.
And you presume to know the intent of a god?

I can see why the whole carved images thing is in the Bible.

Christianity was superimposed over other religions that came before it. Those religions relied heavily on carved totems and fetishes so it was best to stop that practice.

This is very apparent in South America where the natives were forced to follow Christianity literally at the point of a sword. The Inca religion had gads of holidays devoted to all their gods so these were all absorbed into the Christian religion and are now called "Saint's Days".

Not unlike Christians adopting the ancient winter celebration of Saturnalia as their Christmas.

Religions have evolved right along with people and societies

The culture of the day: God 'kills' everyone sooner or later. Some are killed by floods, some by illness, some by war, some by old age, etc. Everything is ruled by the will of God. Who created a world where floods and other natural disasters occur? Those who believe God created all also believe He is ultimately the cause of everything. In modern culture, we generally stop at the direct killer--natural disaster, cancer, gunshot wound.
OK so killing all the first born sons was the same as a flood?

Jealousy is bound to faithfulness and fidelity. In other words, following the ways of God cannot be a part-time occupation, where some days we do and some days we don't.

For example, if someone want to train to be an Olympic athlete, it cannot be an on again, off again endeavor. The same is true with our close relationships with people, and certainly with God: Faithfulness and fidelity is required in following the ways of God. If we are not faithful to His ways we will not achieve the desired results.
But jealousy is also one of the 7 Deadly sins.

So then I guess god can sin just like us mere humans

Forum List

Back