Manchin upends paid leave, a benefit ‘personal to President Biden’

"The West Virginia Democrat also rejected House Democrats’ gambit to win his vote, which involves holding up a bipartisan infrastructure bill he helped write. He told reporters at an unusual news conference ( ) that he would not be pressured into supporting his party's more progressive social spending bill and decried the “shell games, budget gimmicks” used in writing it."

Perhaps most perilously for the House progressives whom he criticized for holding up the $550 billion infrastructure bill, Manchin made clear that despite his warm statements about the White House's framework, he can’t be viewed as an automatic yes just because he’s a Democrat.

"I'm open to supporting a final bill that helps move our country forward. But I'm equally open to voting against a bill that hurts our country,” Manchin said

The infrastructure bill has twice now stalled out in the House, infuriating moderate senators who wrote it. Manchin and Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) were both top negotiators on that legislation, leading House progressives to balk at passing it without ironclad commitments on the climate and social spending bill.

Describing it as "time to vote" on infrastructure in the House, Manchin made clear that his commitment to support the social spending plan is not yet forthcoming: “I will not support a reconciliation package that expands social programs and irresponsibly adds to our $29 trillion in national debt.”

Last edited:
Vacation? LoL - You kids want a woman who just had a c section to show up for work the next day.
That's Republican empathy for ya!
Regardless of how you frame it parasitism and the amount thereof included in any economic framework is a direct measure of the fragility of that very same framework. You people expect everyone to do nothing in return for a full week's pay and then expect business and commerce to continue on normally with absolutely no way to support itself.

Clearly there is a balance in between somewhere. That balance however will never be found by people who have never tallied an expense sheet. These are the same people who run out of gas on the highway and get pissed off at people who don't.

Businesses that provide it will get good employees. Those that don't will struggle to find employees, which is an absolutely great thing. The only problem is those jerks complain that nobody wants to work, which is a complete lie just like the fake labor shortage.

Businesses that provide it will get good employees. Those that don't will struggle to find employees, which is an absolutely great thing. The only problem is those jerks complain that nobody wants to work, which is a complete lie just like the fake labor shortage.
Nobody wants to work which is why there is a labor shortage!

Regardless of how you frame it parasitism and the amount thereof included in any economic framework is a direct measure of the fragility of that very same framework. You people expect everyone to do nothing in return for a full week's pay and then expect business and commerce to continue on normally with absolutely no way to support itself.

Clearly there is a balance in between somewhere. That balance however will never be found by people who have never tallied an expense sheet. These are the same people who run out of gas on the highway and get pissed off at people who don't.

Curious Jo, who gets to do nothing for a full week’s pay? Sometimes I do because I get residuals from the past 20 years of hard work. I don’t see how that affects the company I represent. Educate me oh Exalted Great Grand Poohba. ;)

1640054756051.jpeg

Last edited:
Curious Jo, who gets to do nothing for a full week’s pay? Sometimes I do because I get residuals from the past 20 years of hard work. I don’t see how that affects the company I represent. Educate me oh Exalted Great Grand Poohba. ;)

View attachment 577961
It sounds to me like you're a very industrious person. Industriousness has its own rewards and you are reaping them. You are exemplary.

Jo

It sounds to me like you're a very industrious person. Industriousness has its own rewards and you are reaping them. You are exemplary.

Jo

Thanks man, yeah .. when you're a commission only independent contractor you can pretty much set your own hours. Been that way personally for 20+ years and wouldn't have it any other way.
Plus, no stupid sales meetings! :5_1_12024:

Forum List

Back