Liberals: How Do You define What it Means to be a Liberal?

I am asking this question very sincerely. Liberals...what does it mean to you personally to be liberal? How do you define your liberal philosophy in personal terms?

I ask this question for several reasons.

1. Many liberals express frustration on this message board that they are misunderstood. When they are criticized, the general response often seems to be "you do not know where I am coming from. You really don't understand liberalism."

2. I have found most Conservatives and Libertarians are very willing to discuss their personal political philosophy. Maybe this is a generalization, but liberals seem very reluctant to get specific about what liberalism is...and what it means to them personally.

3. Maybe if you were more willing to discuss what liberalism means to you personally, there would be greater understanding.

I will speak for myself. I am probably socially left leaning. I support gay rights and gay marriage (neither are any of my business) , I don't like abortion but would not refuse women the right to seek one (again, not directly my business). I am generally very tolerant of different points of view and say live and let live as long as you are not hurting anyone else. So socially I'm probably libertarian/Democrat.

Fiscal issues...Constitutional Rights, Gun Ownership, personal responsibility for your own life, I'm pretty Conservative.

See, that was easy. So you folks who see yourself as liberal...how do you define your beliefs? And please no links to 20 page Das Kapital position papers. This is what you believe. :)
I don't find conservatives personally responsible at all. Nor do I find their actions in accordance with the Constitution.

They constantly blame others (Obama, the left, muslims, the poor, the unemployed, etc.) for many of the issues the nation is facing, without ever acknowledging their role (or contributions) in creating the problem.

As an example:
Economy - they won't discuss the actions (in office) Obama's predecessor had in the meltdown.
Foreign policy - they won't deal with that part of our foreign policy which is creating terrorists.
the deficit - they blame the poor, the unemployed, social programs, for the size of the deficit, instead of the Bush tax cuts, the defense budget and rich (who have sucked all the money out of the middle class with this non-job creating, non-producing, mythical economic instruments known as "derivatives").
War - they started two unprovoked wars of aggression, in violation of the Constitution.
Civil rights - they enacted legislation (the Patriot Act and Military Commission's Act) that nullified the Bill of Rights.
State Dept - they politicized the Dept of Justice​
You don't see the majority of conservatives accepting responsibility for any of that. And I'm not talking about 100% responsibility, because obviously the left played a role in all of that to, but "any" responsibility.

Liberalism to me is about being honest; believing in this country's core values; having respect for the rule of law; taking responsibility for your actions; believing people are free to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't affect the rights of others or is not against the law; and believing government's role, is to protect American citizens from harm, not corporations from Americans. Corporations should not have any voice whatsoever in government.

This country was not created for them, it was created for us.

Excellent post.

I don't agree with all of your points....But I I STRONGLY agree that individuals need protection from corporations.

There is way too much freakin' $$ in government.

I gave Billo a well deserved rep for expressing his opinion. There is a lot of agreement on various issues that I was not aware of. That was really the point of this thread.

The definitions of liberal or conservative change over time as society's challenges change.

Sadly partisans seem to think that these words address specific issues facing their society today. (and ONLY those issues)

Hence they create a social menu to describe what these words mean.

If you fail to order enough from their menus, then you are THE ENEMY.

Have I mentioned recently the contempt I have for most partisans?

You guys and gals are TOOLS used then abused and abandoned by the masters the moment they no longer need you.
I wonder if "progressive" versus "liberal" is a distinction without a difference or something that should be sorted out before attempting to judge the relative merits of those who support the ruling ideas and those who question them?

"Progressivism is a general political philosophy based on the Idea of Progress that asserts that advances in science, technology, economic development, and social organization, can improve the human condition."

Progressivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is easier for me to wrap my head around the progressive label. To me it means spend like crazy and hope society can eventually come up with some new technology to save us from our irresponsibility. It is kind of a blind hope about the future, and ideas generated in the future will somehow save us from ourselves. I get that.

The traditional liberal core value system seems much more elusive. What does it mean?
What are the core values and beliefs?

Does 'spend like crazy' include the military? $650 billion per year is a LOT to borrow so congress can pass out fat contracts to defense industry donors in exchange for campaign cash.

It cracks me up to read republicans harp on the 'spending problem' when defense remains such a sacred :cow:

How about it conservatives? When was the last time you wrote your congresscritter and told them that the military industrial complex was out of control?

I don't find conservatives personally responsible at all. Nor do I find their actions in accordance with the Constitution.

They constantly blame others (Obama, the left, muslims, the poor, the unemployed, etc.) for many of the issues the nation is facing, without ever acknowledging their role (or contributions) in creating the problem.

As an example:
Economy - they won't discuss the actions (in office) Obama's predecessor had in the meltdown.
Foreign policy - they won't deal with that part of our foreign policy which is creating terrorists.
the deficit - they blame the poor, the unemployed, social programs, for the size of the deficit, instead of the Bush tax cuts, the defense budget and rich (who have sucked all the money out of the middle class with this non-job creating, non-producing, mythical economic instruments known as "derivatives").
War - they started two unprovoked wars of aggression, in violation of the Constitution.
Civil rights - they enacted legislation (the Patriot Act and Military Commission's Act) that nullified the Bill of Rights.
State Dept - they politicized the Dept of Justice​
You don't see the majority of conservatives accepting responsibility for any of that. And I'm not talking about 100% responsibility, because obviously the left played a role in all of that to, but "any" responsibility.

Liberalism to me is about being honest; believing in this country's core values; having respect for the rule of law; taking responsibility for your actions; believing people are free to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't affect the rights of others or is not against the law; and believing government's role, is to protect American citizens from harm, not corporations from Americans. Corporations should not have any voice whatsoever in government.

This country was not created for them, it was created for us.

Excellent post.

I don't agree with all of your points....But I I STRONGLY agree that individuals need protection from corporations.

I gave Billo a well deserved rep for expressing his opinion. There is a lot of agreement on various issues that I was not aware of. That was really the point of this thread.

Really? That was the point of this thread? That we have much in common?

I smell more bullshit.

I am asking this question very sincerely. Liberals...what does it mean to you personally to be liberal? How do you define your liberal philosophy in personal terms?

1. Many liberals express frustration on this message board that they are misunderstood. When they are criticized, the general response often seems to be "you do not know where I am coming from. You really don't understand liberalism."

2. I have found most Conservatives and Libertarians are very willing to discuss their personal political philosophy. Maybe this is a generalization, but liberals seem very reluctant to get specific about what liberalism is...and what it means to them personally.

3. Maybe if you were more willing to discuss what liberalism means to you personally, there would be greater understanding.

I will speak for myself. I am probably socially left leaning. I support gay rights and gay marriage (neither are any of my business) , I don't like abortion but would not refuse women the right to seek one (again, not directly my business). I am generally very tolerant of different points of view and say live and let live as long as you are not hurting anyone else. So socially I'm probably libertarian/Democrat.

Fiscal issues...Constitutional Rights, Gun Ownership, personal responsibility for your own life, I'm pretty Conservative.

See, that was easy. So you folks who see yourself as liberal...how do you define your beliefs? And please no links to 20 page Das Kapital position papers. This is what you believe. :)

Funny, I've found that most scientists and engineers are liberal. As well as college professors.

I've found that conservatives think science is a faith, evolution a lie and climate change a conspiracy. Conservatives can't take responsibility for a single one of their failed policies. Not for the war they tricked this country in to. They ruin government. Have no policies anyone likes. They even blame policies they passed through reconciliation on Democrats, like the deficit creating Bush tax cuts.

When they hold hostage millions of Americans, like the unemployed, to force the extension their failed tax cuts, they blame the tax cuts on the Democrats for extending them..

The entire rest of the word is scared of them and thinks they are dangerous loons.

Worse, in spite of the damage they cause, they think they are maligned. They refuse to see any side except the one they imagine. They think blacks were better off as "slaves". They think there is a "gay agenda". They feel women belong in the home and women's bodies should be legislated. They fight for the fetus and will turn away from hungry children.

How do we know these things? They tell us. But when we repeat their zany positions or link to them, they call us liars.

I consider myself a Conservative on many issues (mostly non-social issues) but I think almost everything you said here is nuts. I think most people who consider themselves Conservatives would consider it nuts. It is like a stupid caricature. Like something an idiot on MSNBC would come up with. It does not reflect reality except for a very, very small number of loons.

Last edited:
Excellent post.

I smell more bullshit.

My guess is you smell that a lot. This has been a respectful discussion for the most part. Very little in the way of insults or attacks. Let's keep it that way. :)

I smell more bullshit.

My guess is you smell that a lot. This has been a respectful discussion for the most part. Very little in the way of insults or attacks. Let's keep it that way. :)

You might want to reread the thread. It has not been respectful.

Your base assumption is not respectful. You did not set out to gain an understanding of what liberals think or feel. You fooled yourself into thinking that no liberals WOULD BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE their position. So...you issued a challenge and tried to make your call on it three or four times. Why....oh why....have no liberals been able to define themselves? Blah...blah...fucking blah. If you were any more transparent, you'd get work as a pane of glass.

The fact is that...as far as the USMB is concerned, the liberal contingent is much more willing and able to discuss their ideology. It doesn't matter, though. Nutters pay no attention. The combination of ignorance and arrogance gets in your way.

Regardless of left or right persuasion, know that you cannot depend on anyone but yourself. In America, it's "every man for himself." If you depend on corporations or the government, you are eventually going to be disappointed. And "you can take that to the bank." The bank...:lol:...the origin of the word, definition, and its practice in American History, should give anyone pause.

Regardless of left or right persuasion, know that you cannot depend on anyone but yourself. In America, it's "every man for himself." If you depend on corporations or the government, you are eventually going to be disappointed. And "you can take that to the bank." The bank...:lol:...the origin of the word, definition, and its practice in American History, should give anyone pause.

Hmmmmm. Wise advice.

But.....do you feel that others can depend on you?

I smell more bullshit.

Your base assumption is not respectful. You did not set out to gain an understanding of what liberals think or feel. You fooled yourself into thinking that no liberals WOULD BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE their position. So...you issued a challenge and tried to make your call on it three or four times. Why....oh why....have no liberals been able to define themselves? Blah...blah...fucking blah. If you were any more transparent, you'd get work as a pane of glass.

The fact is that...as far as the USMB is concerned, the liberal contingent is much more willing and able to discuss their ideology. It doesn't matter, though. Nutters pay no attention. The combination of ignorance and arrogance gets in your way.

As I just said in another thread....you are very angry. It is not healthy. Dial back the paranoia a little bit.

This has been a good discussion. I have learned some things. I see agreement in that both sides seem to distrust Corporate power and believe money has way too much influence in politics. There seems to be a libertarian strain in both philosophies that is emerging. I hope to learn more. If you feel you can read my mind or motivations you are wrong.

As I just said in another thread....you are very angry. It is not healthy. Dial back the paranoia a little bit.

This has been a good discussion. I have learned some things. I see agreement in that both sides seem to distrust Corporate power and believe money has way too much influence in politics. There seems to be a libertarian strain in both philosophies that is emerging. I hope to learn more. If you feel you can read my mind or motivations you are wrong.

I am not angry....but I have no time for liars. Tell the truth....you will be treated more kindly by me. Try it.

I am not angry....but I have no time for liars. Tell the truth....you will be treated more kindly by me. Try it.

Here's the thing...and it is not personal...I am really not interested in your opinion. I have been sincere in what I have expressed. I think most people have. If your attempts to continually call me a liar makes you feel better go for it. Water off a duck's back. :)

Hmmmmm. Wise advice.

But.....do you feel that others can depend on you?

If/when things eventually crash in this country, yes, I have a valuable skill set. And would help the sick, if called to do so. But I've lost my health insurance, so this progressive neurological disease I have, is going to....progress. So whether or not anyone can depend on me in the future...is anyone's guess.

An entrepreneur, I am not.

Libertarians are for the most part, liberals, 'ya dum dum faggot.
The exception being that liberals, by their true definition, support the right to LIFE.

Last edited:
The only things I have to contribute to this thread are some rules I've tried to impart to my kids when they were growing up:

When you get older, make sure you take care of and provide for yourself.

Stay out of trouble, and stay away from trouble.

Don't brag about what you have.

Don't complain about what you don't have.

Do not ever covet what others do have.

In other words, I've tried to bring them up as non-Liberals.

Funny, I've found that most scientists and engineers are liberal. As well as college professors.

I've found that conservatives think science is a faith, evolution a lie and climate change a conspiracy. Conservatives can't take responsibility for a single one of their failed policies. Not for the war they tricked this country in to. They ruin government. Have no policies anyone likes. They even blame policies they passed through reconciliation on Democrats, like the deficit creating Bush tax cuts.

When they hold hostage millions of Americans, like the unemployed, to force the extension their failed tax cuts, they blame the tax cuts on the Democrats for extending them..

The entire rest of the word is scared of them and thinks they are dangerous loons.

Worse, in spite of the damage they cause, they think they are maligned. They refuse to see any side except the one they imagine. They think blacks were better off as "slaves". They think there is a "gay agenda". They feel women belong in the home and women's bodies should be legislated. They fight for the fetus and will turn away from hungry children.

How do we know these things? They tell us. But when we repeat their zany positions or link to them, they call us liars.

Do you ever ask yourself why there is more liberal college professors?
They teach one side of coin on controversial issues. It didn't used to be that way.
Teachers used to teach you how to think, now they teach you what to think

Example;
Colleges teach about Marx and Engles but they never teach the other argument against their theories by Ludwig von Mises.

Last edited:

They teach one side of coin on controversial issues. It didn't used to be that way.

Example;
Colleges teach about Marx and Engles but they never teach the other argument against their theories by Fredrick von Mises.

Marx, Engels, and Mises, they speak plenty of those, for they preach submission to the bankster parasites.
The economic principles they absolutely hate and refuse to discuss are those of the Thomist.
Look it up.

Last edited:

What do your Liberal scientists and engineers think about the science and engineering of high volume high pressure horizontal hydraulic fracturing?

Example;
Colleges teach about Marx and Engles but they never teach the other argument against their theories by Fredrick von Mises.

Marx, Engels, and Mises, they speak plenty of those, for they preach submission to the bankster parasites.
The economic principles they absolutely hate and refuse to discuss are those of the Thomist.
Look it up.

I agree with you on Thomist.They did not teach about Mises at the U of A in Tucson in the 70's, there they shun both, you had learn it on your own.

Last edited:
What do your Liberal scientists and engineers think about the science and engineering of high volume high pressure horizontal hydraulic fracturing?

"high volume high pressure"?
Do you want to rephrase your question, or is English not your first language?
:lol:

Hint: the correct phrase might be "high pressure".
Word count does not equal intelligence, quite the opposite in fact.

Last edited:

"high volume of high pressure"?
Do you want to rephrase your question, or is English not your first language?
:lol:

Hint: the correct phrase might be "high pressure".
Word count does not equal intelligence, quite the opposite in fact.

It's the language of the industry of which I speak and have been a part of for 37 years. Don't tread on my territory, you stupid fuck.

Forum List

Back