Leviticus 18-20, yes or no?

Mar 30, 2016 · We’re no longer bound by the civil codes of Leviticus because God doesn’t have a nation-state on earth anymore.
We never were bound by Jewish civil code. Or Jewish ceremonial code or Jewish dietary code or any other Jewish code. Gentiles never were subject to temple law. And no one is subject to it now that it no longer exists.

I've pointed this out many times.

Christians don't follow all the laws of Leviticus.

They pick and choose.

The laws and rituals of the Jews were designed to keep them separate from the "others".

Why Don’t Christians Follow All the Old Testament Laws ...
May 06, 2013 · Both sides agree on many laws because so much was reiterted, changed, or commented on in the New Testament. 7 But some things went away, such as the sacrificial stuff in Leviticus 5:5–6, which Christ fulfilled. Both of these schools of thought answer why Christians do not adhere to all the Mosaic laws. There are Christians whose theologies do ...
What specifically did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Nothing????

Our secular laws are superior to Christian laws.

We accept homosexuality as a personal choice
We accept all faiths or lack of faith
We accept women as equals
We recognize slavery is wrong
I beg to differ. Christian law - the two commandments of Christ - are more succinct and practical than any law I've ever seen.

I beg to differ. Christian law - the two commandments of Christ - are more succinct and practical than any law I've ever seen.

No idea what you are talking about
Name them

Name them
You must be kidding. This is Christianity 101.

Name them

Love thy neighbor as theyself and Love God with all your heart.

Name them

Not very good “laws”

Love thy neighbor as yourself is not enforceable. Nice sentiment but no harm done if you don’t.

Love god with all your heart nice if you are a Christian but you should do it on your own volition, not because you are commanded

Neither is practical

Name them

Not very good “laws”

Love thy neighbor as yourself is not enforceable. Nice sentiment but no harm done if you don’t.

Love god with all your heart nice if you are a Christian but you should do it on your own volition, not because you are commanded

Neither is practical

Nonetheless .. those are the two Jesus rules. Obviously they are voluntary.

Name them

Not very good “laws”

Neither is practical

Indeed, it's Christian code nonetheless, and being of the kingdom, it is code "not of this world." Of course it's not enforceable in the world.

But then, by the same token, why would anyone in the world want to enforce ancient Jewish law? Who wants to live with mandates for animal sacrifices and death by stoning? How enforceable would that be?

Leviticus 18:22 (different versions)

"“Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin."

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: because it is an abomination."

"It is disgusting for a man to have sex with another man."

"“Men, you must not have sexual relations with another man as with a woman. That is a terrible sin!"

And Leviticus 20:10 (different versions)

"If any man commit adultery with the wife of another, and defile his neighbour's wife: let them: be put to death, both the adulterer and the adulteress."

"If anyone will have committed sexual acts with the wife of another, or will have perpetrated adultery with his neighbor's spouse, they shall die a death, both the adulterer and the adulteress."

"If a man commits adultery with the wife of a fellow-Israelite, both he and the woman shall be put to death."

"And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."

Two sections of the same part of the Bible. And yet the religious right manages to be extremely anti-gay because of Leviticus 18:22 but will elect a triple adulterer in spite of 20:10.

So, which is it? Are you pro-Leviticus or anti-Leviticus as a Christian?
You really shouldn't take scripture out of context. It makes it sound like that was the only thing discussed and places disproportionate weight upon the importance of it. Read the whole section and see if you can figure out the context and intent. Let me know if you need help.

Laws Concerning Sexual Behavior.

1The LORD said to Moses:
2Speak to the Israelites and tell them: I, the LORD, am your God.*
3You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you once lived, nor shall you do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you; do not conform to their customs.a
4My decrees you shall carry out, and my statutes you shall take care to follow. I, the LORD, am your God.
5Keep, then, my statutes and decrees, for the person who carries them out will find life* through them. I am the LORD.b
6* None of you shall approach a close relative* to have sexual intercourse. I am the LORD.
7* You shall not disgrace your father by having intercourse with your mother.c She is your own mother; you shall not have intercourse with her.
8You shall not have intercourse with your father’s wife, for that would be a disgrace to your father.
9You shall not have intercourse with your sister,* d your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in your own household or born elsewhere.
10You shall not have intercourse with your son’s daughter or with your daughter’s daughter,* for that would be a disgrace to you.
11You shall not have intercourse with the daughter whom your father’s wife bore to him in his household,e since she, too, is your sister.
12You shall not have intercourse with your father’s sister,f since she is your father’s relative.
13You shall not have intercourse with your mother’s sister, since she is your mother’s relative.
14You shall not disgrace your father’s brother by having sexual relations with his wife,g since she, too, is your aunt.
15You shall not have intercourse with your daughter-in-law;* h she is your son’s wife; you shall not have intercourse with her.
16You shall not have intercourse with your brother’s wife;* i that would be a disgrace to your brother.
17You shall not have intercourse with a woman and also with her daughter, nor shall you marry and have intercourse with her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter;j they are related to her. This would be shameful.
18While your wife is still living you shall not marry her sister as her rival and have intercourse with her.k
19You shall not approach a woman to have intercourse with her while she is in her menstrual uncleanness.l
20You shall not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife,* m defiling yourself with her.
21n You shall not offer any of your offspring for immolation to Molech,* thus profaning the name of your God. I am the LORD.
22You shall not lie with a male as with a woman;o such a thing is an abomination.
23You shall not have sexual relations with an animal, defiling yourself with it; nor shall a woman set herself in front of an animal to mate with it; that is perverse.p
24Do not defile yourselves by any of these things, because by them the nations whom I am driving out of your way have defiled themselves.
25And so the land has become defiled, and I have punished it for its wickedness, and the land has vomited out its inhabitants.q
26You, however, must keep my statutes and decrees, avoiding all these abominations, both the natives and the aliens resident among you—
27because the previous inhabitants did all these abominations and the land became defiled;
28otherwise the land will vomit you out also for having defiled it, just as it vomited out the nations before you.
29For whoever does any of these abominations shall be cut off from the people.
30Heed my charge, then, not to observe the abominable customs that have been observed before your time, and thus become impure by them.r I, the LORD, am your God.

You're mixing in circumcision from Leviticus 12 when you ask that.

But to read further into that scripture, the observation of times and the number of days, and the commission of cuttings in the flesh are already punishable by a circumcision or cutting out of the heart that is so filthy as to beat in the commission of mayhem.

In any case, a man who isn't allowed to be near a menstruous woman according to the Bible simply needs to have somewhere to sleep where he won't be raped or sodomized in his sleep by another man, which is impossible without an absolute prohibition on homosexuality, punishable by death.

Jesus doesn't say anything different in the New Testament, for Christians.

Are you speaking about the acts or the prescribed punishments?

What is the ideal for human sexuality? Does adultery meet the ideal? Does homosexuality?

Adultery seems to fall short of the ideal in that marriages and homes are broken and there often hard feelings and ruined lives.

Homosexuality would fail to meet the ideal in times where war took many male lives and the tribe needed repopulating in order for it to survive. Outside of that is the concern of greater health and emotional issues for homosexuals. Widely accepting homosexuality as has been the case in the Netherlands does not seem to heal all emotional issues. When faced with these realities, it would be up to each homosexual to decide whether or not to act solely on same sex attraction. The rest of us have our own business to mind.

In the last part of Genesis ancient man passed on observations on what makes for a crumbling tribe or nation--or how it can be spotted. It is the lack of discipline, and it can be specifically noted in the lack of sexual discipline. It always begins with heterosexuals. They want divorce. They want sex outside of marriage. They want recreational sex, not sex that can lead to wider responsibilities. Then they complain when homosexuals claim sexual freedom for themselves. Then who else gets into the act...

All throughout time we see lack of discipline tumbling nations. The human drive for sex becomes greater than family, community, nation. Not only do we all miss the ideal, we abandon the call to even strive for the ideal.

We can learn from Leviticus. Doesn't mean we have to terrorize ourselves and others with it.

Well, I'd say there are two choices.

1) Hate on adulterers the same (or worse) than hating on gay people or:
2) Ignore Leviticus and don't hate gay people or adulterers.

Essentially if you voted for Trump, you'd have to be willing to vote for gay people.

You're mixing in circumcision from Leviticus 12 when you ask that.

But to read further into that scripture, the observation of times and the number of days, and the commission of cuttings in the flesh are already punishable by a circumcision or cutting out of the heart that is so filthy as to beat in the commission of mayhem.

In any case, a man who isn't allowed to be near a menstruous woman according to the Bible simply needs to have somewhere to sleep where he won't be raped or sodomized in his sleep by another man, which is impossible without an absolute prohibition on homosexuality, punishable by death.

Jesus doesn't say anything different in the New Testament, for Christians.

You quoted the question, and then didn't answer it.

Are you speaking about the acts or the prescribed punishments?

What is the ideal for human sexuality? Does adultery meet the ideal? Does homosexuality?

Adultery seems to fall short of the ideal in that marriages and homes are broken and there often hard feelings and ruined lives.

Homosexuality would fail to meet the ideal in times where war took many male lives and the tribe needed repopulating in order for it to survive. Outside of that is the concern of greater health and emotional issues for homosexuals. Widely accepting homosexuality as has been the case in the Netherlands does not seem to heal all emotional issues. When faced with these realities, it would be up to each homosexual to decide whether or not to act solely on same sex attraction. The rest of us have our own business to mind.

In the last part of Genesis ancient man passed on observations on what makes for a crumbling tribe or nation--or how it can be spotted. It is the lack of discipline, and it can be specifically noted in the lack of sexual discipline. It always begins with heterosexuals. They want divorce. They want sex outside of marriage. They want recreational sex, not sex that can lead to wider responsibilities. Then they complain when homosexuals claim sexual freedom for themselves. Then who else gets into the act...

All throughout time we see lack of discipline tumbling nations. The human drive for sex becomes greater than family, community, nation. Not only do we all miss the ideal, we abandon the call to even strive for the ideal.

We can learn from Leviticus. Doesn't mean we have to terrorize ourselves and others with it.
This fails as a red herring fallacy.

t's just like their views on the constitution. Second amendment is great.
True.

Conservatives are great advocates of “states’ rights” when a state seeks to violate a woman’s right to privacy or violate the equal protection rights of gay Americans.

But when states enact firearm regulations, “states’ rights” go out the window.

Name them

Not very good “laws”

Neither is practical

Yet Jesus never condemned slavery. You would think it would be abhorrent to him
He didn’t believe women were his equals
He defended lepers but not homosexuals
He never condemned capitol punishment as a horrible act. Might have helped him at the end

Secular laws are more just

You quoted the question, and then didn't answer.
Luke 17:34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

Last edited:
You quoted the question, and then didn't answer.
Like 17:34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

I'm I supposed to just be able to understand your quoting?

If I could just understand your quoting, I wouldn't need the quotes in the first place. What is it you're trying to say? And try with YOUR OWN WORDS this time.

Forum List

Back