Last View of James Webb

Say goodbye. It's heading a million miles out today. So far, a success

That was cool. I just watched it on YouTube. I knew it was in conjunction with the EU and Canada, but did not know it was launching from French Guiana. Looked like a textbook launch. Nice job, by all involved. 29 days until we see results from further back in the history of the universe than ever seen before, possibly 13 billion years, analyzing the atmospheres of exoplanets around distant stars? Very cool!

Should get better resolution than Hubble but it will only last a few years

They say 100 times better than Hubble. Why the shorter lifespan?
I forget what they're using, but they needed a substance to keep the cameras/infrared receptors cooled enough to do what they wanted to do. It's estimated to only last seven to ten years.

Helium? Something like that.

It would be pretty cool if, between now and then, we figured out a way to replenish it.

Found this: How Cold Can You Go? Cooler Tested for NASA Telescope

Last edited:
I forget what they're using, but they needed a substance to keep the cameras/infrared receptors cooled enough to do what they wanted to do. It's estimated to only last seven to ten years.

Helium? Something like that.

It would be pretty cool if, between now and then, we figured out a way to replenish it.

Found this: How Cold Can You Go? Cooler Tested for NASA Telescope
Got it. Makes sense. I hope so too.

They say 100 times better than Hubble. Why the shorter lifespan?
It's position and orbit has to be adjusted frequently in order to see what we want to see with it.

It can only carry a limited amount of fuel for these tiny corrections so it will eventually run out unless they find a reasonable way to refuel it.

Forum List

Back