Language

Language is a uniquely human trait, but there is much about it that people struggle to define, let alone understand.

It sets us apart from all other forms of life as we know it, but what is it really?
Respiration, Phonation & Articulation....... :eusa_whistle:

More
Yup, that's a word alright...... Now if you speak it the three parts of speech come into play...... I.e. what speech really is......:eusa_whistle:
But language is more than speech... as you can see right now, on your monitor...
Duh......

Language

Language is a uniquely human trait, but there is much about it that people struggle to define, let alone understand.

It sets us apart from all other forms of life as we know it, but what is it really?

More
Yup, that's a word alright...... Now if you speak it the three parts of speech come into play...... I.e. what speech really is......:eusa_whistle:
But language is more than speech... as you can see right now, on your monitor...
Duh......

Language

Still can't just admit you were wrong and move on, huh?

That's why the word honey means something completely different to your wife than it does to bees.

More
Duh......

Language

Still can't just admit you were wrong and move on, huh?
:rofl:

human babies, like monkeys, cannot make the same sounds as humans/adults
OMFG [[ I said the word monkey ]] SORRY
...if a monkey's [ SORRY ] larynx was in the same position as humans', they might be able to make human sounds
...so human babies are in the same ''category'' as monkeys when it comes to being able to make adult human sounds
We work it [ the larynx ] like a musical instrument shaping the sounds made by passing air as we speak
At birth the human larynx is in the normal, animal location, enabling babies to nurse without risk of choking.
The larynx typically begins to move lower at about three months of age and reaches its final position by age four. People familiar with children’s speech will notice that the start of the relocation is also when infants start to coo.
bold and parentheses mine

so at birth, ''humans'' do not have the physical ability for human language--just like monkeys do not either [ SORRY ]
very interesting--just a tiny, tiny difference in DNA
The Human Larynx

Last edited:
Scientific American:

0918Kenn.png

In depth studies have shown that dolphins have a complex language, including individual names for one another.

In depth studies have shown that dolphins have a complex language, including individual names for one another.

They communicate in more complex ways than many other animals, but they do not have language.

The fact that dolphin researchers have deciphered that each dolphin has an individual name for one another and that the dolphins talk to each other about a dolphin that has passed by.

It would be fascinating to have two children isolated from others to see what would ensue, linguistically of course.

It would be fascinating to have two children isolated from others to see what would ensue, linguistically of course.

Children of what age?

Children of what age?
Preferably newborns.. This is hypothetical, before anyone gets their panties bunched

The fact that dolphin researchers have deciphered that each dolphin has an individual name for one another and that the dolphins talk to each other about a dolphin that has passed by.

AGAIN, they communicate as many animals and even plants do, but they do not use language.

Children of what age?
Preferably newborns.. This is hypothetical, before anyone gets their panties bunched

If newborns were isolated from all other humans they would die.

Children of what age?

Oh, FFS, I don't know why I bother.

Children of what age?

Just calling it the way it is.

Children of what age?

If you can't discuss the theory of language, what's the point of starting this thread?

And on the other topic, since language means tongue, any form of communication involving primarily the tongue is a form of language.

OK, this has gotten pedantic enough..

Children of what age?

If you can't discuss the theory of language, what's the point of starting this thread?

That's what I'm doing.

Forum List

Back