L.A. Boycotts Az

Nate

Gold Member
May 7, 2010
Sooner State
Haven't seen this one posted yet;

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country," Councilman Ed Reyes said, CBS News Station KCBS-TV in Los Angeles reports. "An immigrant city, an international city needs to have its voice heard."

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa already has said he would approve the boycott.

The proposal could affect investments and contracts worth as much as $52 million, including contracts for airport, harbor and trucking services, according to a report from the city's chief legislative analyst. That report recommends the council consider suspending travel, cutting contracts and refraining from making any new ones with Arizona-based companies.
L.A. Boycotts Arizona over Immigration Law - CBS News

This is simply amazing! I can't believe the audacity of these people "Our ancestors were U.S. immigrants" So were everyone elses(hell even the Native Amer. had to use the land bridge)! this is my favorite part though;
At the Gateway Pundit blog, it was noted how much electricity L.A. gets from Arizona. "Maybe the LA council members forgot who supplies the city with electricity. 44% to 50% of the city’s electricity comes from neighboring states including Arizona. The Hoover Dam in Arizona has been providing electricity for Los Angeles since 1936"]
Should Arizona now boycott Los Angeles over immigration law protest? [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

I say Arizona needs to cut the power see how L.A. enjoys their own "Dark Age"

It passed with a vote of 13-1. The lone nay vote came from Councilman Greig Smith. He made a great point after the vote was finalized.

"I have always opposed using the Los Angeles City Council to weigh in on non-related social issues that are not within the purview of Los Angeles," Smith said.

Los Angeles city council really didn't think this one through and voted on pure emotion. It will only hurt the city of LA not the state of Arizona. Unfortunatly, Arizona will keep its contracts in place with LA and continue to deliver power to the city.

Los Angeles has investments and contracts in Arizona worth as much as $58 million, much of which involve airport, port and energy service that can't lawfully be affected by the boycott. That leaves about $7.7 million in city contracts that could possibly be affected, said Councilwoman Janice Hahn, who co-authored the resolution.

Really, this isn't a boycott in the true sense of the word. They are going to pick and choose a few contracts and thats all. In all actuality this boycott could result in nothing changing between LA and Arizona at all.

What is truely disturbing here, is that citys like LA and thier elected officials are supporting the breaking of federal laws in Arizona! Where did America go wrong? When did we stop being a nation of laws? If Americans could, just for one second, put aside thier political opinions and look at this from a neutral stand point they would probably agree with the Arizona law.

Our two party system is broken and has divided our country into two different factions, which has clouded our judgement and results in bad decisions like this boycott.

Easy enough to gain back, just takes a small rate hike in the energy usage Arizona supplies to California through several sources. All that aside, one would think that a city that is nearly on the verge of bankruptcy would have better things to do with its time and for that matter for it's citizens than to advocate job loss for the very people they say they are supporting.

Easy enough to gain back, just takes a small rate hike in the energy usage Arizona supplies to California through several sources. All that aside, one would think that a city that is nearly on the verge of bankruptcy would have better things to do with its time and for that matter for it's citizens than to advocate job loss for the very people they say they are supporting.

As I said on my last post, this vote was based on pure emotion. You are assuming that LA elected officials have common sense and that thier choices are based on the citizens. That assumption is laughable at best!

As I said on my last post, this vote was based on pure emotion. You are assuming that LA elected officials have common sense and that thier choices are based on the citizens. That assumption is laughable at best!

True enough, on the common sense part, one need only look at the mess in California to understand that common sense flew out the window a long time ago. I'm alway's reminded when I see such things that this is the same state that kept the USS Iowa from home porting as a museum in S.F. because it represented war, forgetting the men and women from that state that sacrificed in WW2 and died as well that the memorial was supposed to represent. So when I see California make such gestures, I tend to just laugh and send my sympathies to it's citizens for the representation they have long suffered under.

True enough, on the common sense part, one need only look at the mess in California to understand that common sense flew out the window a long time ago. I'm alway's reminded when I see such things that this is the same state that kept the USS Iowa from home porting as a museum in S.F. because it represented war, forgetting the men and women from that state that sacrificed in WW2 and died as well that the memorial was supposed to represent. So when I see California make such gestures, I tend to just laugh and send my sympathies to it's citizens for the representation they have long suffered under.

I was stationed at CP Pendleton from 99-03 and aside from the great weather, I miss nothing about California. Its funny, the largest Marine Corps base, Seals school (Coronado), 29 Palms and so many other bases are in southern Cali, but the state tends to be so anti-military. The problem with the USS Iowa was SF, not really California. If the USS Iowa wanted to home port at 32nd street in San Diego, it probably would have passed. San Fran is the epicenter of liberal thinking; therefore, they will never accept any military memorials such as an evil military war ship. Truely sad, to have your life completely ran by your political ideologies.

Would have loved to have seen the Iowa on 32nd Street in San Diego, would have been a fitting home for her. While I am aware that it was Gavin Newsome and the S.F.'s City council that decided the fate of the USS Iowa and for me to condemn the entire state perhaps for this particular incident was a bit much. Spent a little time in California as a resident thanks to the U.S. Navy at NAS Miramar, and NAS North Island, the former being before it became MCAS Miramar. I had the chance to see the Midway recently in San Diego, and took my daughter and her boyfriend with me. She looked sort of puzzled and then looked at me, and asked " Dad didnt you used to be on this ship when I was really little? " That's when I knew I was an getting old, *laughs* because all the ships and aircraft I knew are now museums or sitting in the boneyard at Davis Monthan.

What a great idea! It would be great if AZ WOULD cut off the electrical power to CA!

One can only hope that ALL of the USA boycotts CA for this move!!!! See how Villaraigosa and Arnold feel about that.

The Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station, commonly referred to as Palo Verde Power Plant, is a nuclear power plant located in Wintersburg, Arizona[2], about 45 miles (80 km) west of central Phoenix, and is currently the largest nuclear generation facility in the United States, averaging over 3.2 gigawatts (GW) of electrical power production in 2003[1] to serve approximately 4 million people. Arizona Public Service (APS) owns the largest portion (29.1%) of the station and operates the facility. Other owners include Salt River Project (17.5%), El Paso Electric Co. (15.8%), Southern California Edison (15.8%), PNM Resources (10.2%), Southern California Public Power Authority (5.9%), and the Los Angeles Dept. of Water & Power (5.7%).[3
Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats how much nonsense these boycotts are, the LA Water Dept, actually owns part of Palo Verde located here in Arizona. All their grandstanding is nothing but convering their political backsides in LA and has little to do with the real world.

Good for LA

Good?

A city votes to boycott a state because that state has a law that is designed to enforce a federal law.

A city votes to boycott a state, essentially proclaiming that they support the breaking of federal laws.

A city council votes to boycott a state that has passed a law that has no bearing on the day-to-day operations of said city; while thier own city is facing a multitude of problems.

I fail to see the "good" in this boycott.

Hi Nate:

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state ....
I just posted a new topic in the Conspiracy Theories Forum on this very subject under:

Reason #11 That The USA Will Be Destroyed

GL,

Terral

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country," Councilman Ed Reyes said, CBS News Station KCBS-TV in Los Angeles reports. "An immigrant city, an international city needs to have its voice heard."

The proposal could affect investments and contracts worth as much as $52 million, including contracts for airport, harbor and trucking services, according to a report from the city's chief legislative analyst. That report recommends the council consider suspending travel, cutting contracts and refraining from making any new ones with Arizona-based companies.

This is simply amazing! I can't believe the audacity of these people "Our ancestors were U.S. immigrants" So were everyone elses(hell even the Native Amer. had to use the land bridge)! this is my favorite part though;
At the Gateway Pundit blog, it was noted how much electricity L.A. gets from Arizona. "Maybe the LA council members forgot who supplies the city with electricity. 44% to 50% of the city’s electricity comes from neighboring states including Arizona. The Hoover Dam in Arizona has been providing electricity for Los Angeles since 1936"]
Should Arizona now boycott Los Angeles over immigration law protest? [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

A Chicago public high school has decided to not allow their girls basketball team to play in the tournament playoffs in Arizona -in spite of the fact it is one of their best seasons in years and the girls team raised the money themselves so they could be in the tournament. This decision was made by a single person in the school administration and apparently he believed the opinions and input of anyone else, including the parents of these girls -was totally unnecessary before he imposed his own personal views on the kids he obviously believe exists as his personal pawns. The man imposed his own personal political agenda on the kids attending a PUBLIC SCHOOL -as if that were his right to use the entire school and every kid in it to further HIS personal political opinions and agenda!

Chicago-area parents in an uproar over high school's cancellation of Arizona trip

Come on liberals, go ahead and explain why all parents should applaud having an individual exploit their children, make pawns out of them so HE can make a political statement -regardless of the fact the vast majority of the country and the vast majority of parents of these kids do NOT share his same PERSONAL political opinions and agenda. I guess he let everyone know whose school he really thought this was -HIS and HIS ALONE. His claim about why he is doing this only proves this is all about HIM and HIS opinions -which have absolutely no place in a public school whatsoever. I don't think anyone who exploits kids in a public school in this way deserves to keep their job. But let's not forget, this is the same ilk who already suck big time at actually teaching children in the first place because they are so busy trying to politically indoctrinate them instead.

I bet LA ain't got the balls to tell Arizona they don't want their Arizone power.. fucking liberals. will chew off their thumbs.. :lol:

I say Arizona needs to cut the power see how L.A. enjoys their own "Dark Age"[/QUOTE]

I say you are right.

What AZ. did i agree....getting rid of people that dont belong here...wasting tax payer money
for them to have 5,6, or 7 kids....when they dont work or pay taxes....theres nothing wrong with coming from another courty to try to make your life better...doesnt mean cross the border illegally..

its called go get your citzenship....every immigrat in the past from germany, italy where ever they came from...they did it the right way....got their citzenship and learned to speak english....

THE NEXT STEP IS FOR CALIFORNIA TO FOLLOW WHAT AZ DID...
CALIFORNIA IS LOSING BY THE MINUTE.....WE HAVE NO JOBS HERE...ALL ILLEGALS GO BACK TO WHERE YU CAME FROM AND DO THINGS THE RIGHT WAY AND LREAN TO SPEAK ENGLISH....

WHEN AMERICANS GO TO MEXICO....WHAT DO THEY SPEAK OVER THERE, "SPAINISH"
BUT WHEN THEY COME OVER TO AMERICA THEY SPEAK SPAINISH..... NO ILLEGALS ITS ENGLISH...

WE ARE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA NOT MEXICO SO SPEAK ENGLISH HERE

Don't have to - most are born and educated here - most don't even speak spanish but still fight for those who do. Email them anyway. There are 12 of them and out of 12, five have spanish surnames. Don't let that stop you. If you don't speak up, then you deserve what happens to this country.

Forum List

Back